MSI Afterburner 4.1.1 (2015-05-28)

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by msi-afterburner, May 28, 2015.

1. km52

km52 Member Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I don't see the VRAM reading as a problem but as a feature of WDDM 2.0 in Win10, and i don't think the values are wrong.
    When running the UE4 KiteDemo in Win8.1, there was constant swapping of video memory at the 2 GB mark and thus there was very bad and noticeable stuttering all the time.
    After upgrading to Win10 and WDDM 2.0 drivers, the stuttering is completely gone and there's apparently no swapping anymore but streaming as up to 3 GB memory get allocated on my 2 GB card.

I've done frametime comparisons between Win8.1 and 10, and as soon as i've hit and crossed the VRAMs max size, games in Win10 run much smoother and allocates more memory than in Win8.1.

That's why i was hoping for a positive confirmation from Unwinder.

2. Ishan

Ishan Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Ti 11G
    Okay, so the extra memory beyond the VRAM limit is derived from where? Computer RAM? How can the transition be so smooth then? In earlier windows this normally resulted in fps drops and stuttering. It's great if that's the case here.

Okay so, if the software and Win10 both are working fine, then i will just replace the excessive usage to 6144 MB VRAM limit. But shouldn't there be a way to distinguish them?

3. km52

km52 Member Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    With Win10 there's WDDM 2.0, and i assume the changes between 1.3 and 2.0 and responsible for this.
    In earlier versions, if more VRAM was needed than avaible, some data gets paged out from VRAM to System RAM to make space for the data needed which then gets paged in from System RAM to VRAM.
    I assume that with WDDM 2.0, the graphics driver streams the data between VRAM and System RAM on-the-fly without paging, resulting in larger-than-VRAM readings.

4. ivanosky

ivanosky Active Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 3060
    I've seen the same behavior after updated to Windows 10.
    Afterburner reporting 6GB usage on Lords of the Fallen and Shadow of Mordor, and over 4.5GB on Batman AK.
    This didn't happen in Windows 8.1.

5. Hemlock2009

Hemlock2009 Guest

GPU:
    geforce gt 740 / 4gb
    So I've downloaded the newest version of RTSS and Afterburner when I received my new GeForce GT 740. But every time I open Afterburner, it tells me that RTSS has stopped working and the constant loop of closing the program or finding a solution online begins. I haven't tried a rollback of RTSS, but something is not communicating.

6. Camberwell

Camberwell Member

GPU:
    MSI 780 Ti SLI @ 1150MHz
    I have a quick question, I was using 4.1.0 with my MSI GTX 780Ti SLI, and with the voltage slider set to max, I was able to overclock to 1150MHz completely stable for the last few months. I upgraded to 4.1.1, and with the same settings as soon as the 3D profile kicks in the pc simply restarts. I have tried setting the voltage slider to 1.2v (which is what I understand the max was on 4.1.0), and even to max at 1.3v even though I know that I cannot get 1.3v without a hard mod, and it still just reboots the pc. Even lowering my overclock gets the same result.
    However, if I leave the voltage on auto for the 3D profile, I can achieve 1120MHz. The funny thing is, AB reports the voltage on Auto not going over 1.2v when the 3D profile is running at 1120MHz, but if I manually set this to 1.2v then it crashes.

I guess my question is, is Auto on the voltage slider better for a stable overclock than a fixed max voltage?

7. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    I don't think anybody can say for certain as each card characteristics differ. Each driver update can affect OC. I bet you changed drivers also. It is what it is, find what's stable on move on or go back to an older version. :)

8. Camberwell

Camberwell Member

GPU:
    MSI 780 Ti SLI @ 1150MHz
    Hi, I was (and still am) on 350.12. I have now uninstalled 4.1.1 along with my saved profiles, and made a clean install of 350.12 (after using DDU in Safe Mode) and re-installed 4.1.1. I have done my oc from scratch, and now it seems to work fine at my original oc of 1150Mhz, so long as I leave the voltage slider on auto - so that's what I will do!

I was just looking for clarification, as on 4.1.0 there was only 0mV and then the plus or minus offsets (I had it at + 100mV so maxed out), whereas on 4.1.1 it goes from Auto up to 1.3. Anyway, it seems to be fine on Auto, and I'm glad as I have been using AB for years and generally only buy MSI cards (which I like anyway) to ensure full compatibility. Many thanks!

9. Fail3D

Fail3D Guest

GPU:
    na
    First of all, can I just say how stupid this sign up process for this forum is? Why do you guys have to keep making it so hard for us to sign up to use a simple forum, as if bots would be interested to take down this site.

But that's not the reason I signed up, I'm here to first of all complain, which genius removed the "frame rate" option from the MSI Afterburner in the latest version where I cant limit my FPS anymore, and therefore all my games run at 200+ FPS and GPU running unnecessarily hot!?

Secondly, if that is delibraretely removed, can anyone suggest me another software or tool to cap my FPS? I dont want to play at 180 FPS Skyforge:3eyes:

10. TonyTurbo

TonyTurbo Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64 @ 1750/1180
    the framerate limit option hasn't been removed, its still in RivatunerStatistics like it always has been.

11. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
  12. Fail3D

Fail3D Guest

GPU:
    na
    What a relieve. Thanks for clearing that up:bigsmile:

13. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    You have a pretty crap attitude tbh. No one owes you anything when it's to do with free software made for a community.

14. masteratarms

masteratarms Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 56
  15. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Any news on DX12 OSD support?

16. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Planned, but not in the nearest couple releases.

17. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Ok thanks for the info!

18. darrenj

darrenj Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090
    Ok haven't been here for a while
    My Afterburner 4.1.1 does not show ingame OSD for Metal Gear Solid V or F1 2015
    Or even Unigine Valley..
    Is this a windows 10 issue?

19. Astrix_au

Astrix_au Active Member

GPU:
    MSI RX VEGA 64 Wave
    After updating Catalyst to 15.11.1 I noticed that I didn't have to disable ULPS for both GPU's to monitor, how long has this been the case?

I haven't been using MSI AB much as I have been recording a lot lately with PlaysTV.

I'm having a break from recording so been using it a bit more, is it still required like it used to be to disable ULPS to use MSI Afterburner properly on AMD crossfire set ups? I haven't disabled it yet.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  20. HarryYTM

HarryYTM Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX TITAN
    I found that encoder server sometimes would crash on closing Afterburner or game(not quite sure why), and when you start Afterburner again it run a new instance of encoder server, once I found 5 encoder server running in background.

This morning I was testing the encoder settings with capturing Battlefield 4, I notice the game have more lag than usual when recording , then I found 2 encoderserver64.exe running in TaskManger, after I kill all encoderserver64.exe I can capture BF4 as smooth as usual.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015