MSI Afterburner 4.1.1 (2015-05-28)

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Overclock Application Discussion' started by msi-afterburner, May 28, 2015.

1. Illyrian

Illyrian Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Strix 1080ti
    Can someone please tell me why the last 2 versions of Afterburner never save my Crossfire clocks ?

Everything is checked the way it should be but every boot I have to manually load the settings.

Could it be because I'm on Win 8.1.... I never had this issue with Win 7

2. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Moderator Staff Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Thanks for posting this. :thumbup:

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  3. mironicus

mironicus New Member

GPU:
    Any plan to support Fury X? Can't be overclocked yet. :cry:

4. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

Yes, but not in the nearest few weeks. MSI didn't send the card to me yet.

5. Fuzzylog1c

Fuzzylog1c Member

GPU:
    4x R9 290X
    Unwinder, enabling voltage monitoring and control appear are borked on the Geforce GTX 980 Ti in SLI, running the latest build of Windows 7 x64 and the most recent 353.38 drivers.

Immediately after I turned on the voltage monitoring and control, my screen went black. Forced to hard restart. Screen went black after the Windows "flag" animation where the screen native resolution is applied. Never got to desktop.

After restarting a few more times and trying a few different things, I booted into safe mode and disabled the voltage features in MSI Afterburner. Restarted--still black screen after the Windows intro. Finally, I uninstalled MSI Afterburner in safe mode--still didn't fix it. Uninstalled the nVidia drivers using DDU--still nothing. Pulled one card, then the other--that fixed it.

Unfortunately, it looks like MSI Afterburner blew up the second 980 TI in SLI. It's totally dead--tried it in two different systems to no avail.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
  6. Unwinder

I won't comment this nonsense. Please never touch AB in future.

7. Fuzzylog1c

Fuzzylog1c Member

GPU:
    4x R9 290X
    That's EXACTLY the response I've come to expect from you.

I've been using MSI Afterburner since about 2009-2010. I'm extremely familiar with its controls--those controls helped me achieve the #3 position in the world for AMD GPU-powered systems earlier this year prior to switching to nVidia. You can ignore my report and insult me all you want, but that only makes you appear to regarding your work beyond reproach (which it isn't--otherwise, we wouldn't be at version 4.1.1).

For what it's worth, MSI Afterburner *is* functioning correctly with one card under 353.30. Preliminary benchmark results are good--I should be able to break into the top 50 (~19750) for single-card operation once I load my system benchmark profile and reflash the card:

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/5228029

8. Unwinder

Don't you assume that moderators can easily see full edit history of any post in the forum? Don't you want to mention that your "MSI AB" issue magically appeared right after installing couple of new waterblocks on your graphics cards rather than after simply enabling those options in MSI AB? That's what was changed in your original story, the following "unnecessary" details were removed from it:

Original:
    "I just installed a pair of EK waterblocks on my cards, ran a few benchmarks, then proceeded to turn on voltage monitoring and control. Screen went black. Forced to hard restart."

Edited:
    "Immediately after I turned on the voltage monitoring and control, my screen went black. Forced to hard restart."

What you do is disgusting. And it is up to me to decide what is user issue and what is application issue. So you may call it "ignoring my report" and I have a different name for your actions, sorry.
    And btw, this story perfectly demonstrate why new forum members claiming that they are skilled are not allowed to join our closed beta team.

9. Fuzzylog1c

Fuzzylog1c Member

GPU:
    4x R9 290X
    The water blocks are not relevant to the discussion, which is why I edited the post. I ran benchmarks for HOURS after the waterblock installation to verify that installation went smoothly with no issue. Once I was certain that everything was working correctly, I enabled voltage control. BAM. Card dead.

Edit: and for the record, let me make it clear that I was reporting an issue above, which you interpreted as an attack on your reputation or somesuch nonsense. You took what was previously a neutral bug report and turned it into a hostile encounter by attacking me. I'm trying to keep this conversation cool and factual--if you could do the same, that'd be appreciated.

10. Unwinder

Sure. Hardware mods performed inside your system on the same day are of course absolutely unrelated to discussion and couldn't kill the card. Heh.
    Enabling voltage control in options as is do nothing but allow you to access voltage slider in GUI. If you don't get even the basic principles of software funcitoning, that's not my problem. Please stop wasting my weekend time and NEVER touch AB in future as I initially recommended.

11. Lendox

Lendox Member

GPU:
    2x Fury X
  12. Unwinder

13. Lendox

Lendox Member

GPU:
    2x Fury X
    Got your card already (or is that a stupid question)?
    I got two today haha. Mine have no high pump noise, at least I do not hear anything. It would not matter anyway though, as I am planning to buy water blocks for my graphic cards when they are released.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  14. JonnyRedHed

JonnyRedHed Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    *also posted in ideas thread*

Unwinder, could I suggest something for the a future release for you to consider please.

A 2nd fan curve plot. Activated by video player in FSE mode, or full screen windowed mode.

I watch a lot of video via my PC (WEB-DL TV shows and movies). I use Zoom player MAX, Lav Filters and MadVR renderer.

I have to have a slight overclock on my gpu to allow for when videos rendered via MadVR start to go into higher gpu usage, and need a different fan curve than my gaming curve. Having the options set for two and ways to trigger the 2nd via X or Y method (I don't understand the technical stuff here sorry)

MadVR with say its (NNEDI and SuperRes in tandem - image doubling and sharpening post processes ) can really tax the GPU and push the one Afterburner fan profile so that the GPU fans get noisy whilst watching these videos. And I find that my (set for gaming) fan profile does not work well for watching videos via my player (Zoom Player Max).

I was wondering if you could consider adding a tabbed second fan profile curve graph, and a way to trigger (switch) between fan curves. Such as detecting zoomplayer.exe or madvr running in full screen (FSE mode).

MadVR forum - contact: madshi

Zoom Player MAX forum

Other players that use MadVR on PC are: MPC-HC or MPC-BE, and POT Player.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  15. km52

km52 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    @Unwinder,

In Win8.1 my reported VRAM usage never was above the avaible 2 GB, but since upgrading to Windows 10 and using WDDM 2.0 drivers for my GTX 670 2 GB, i've noticed that Afterburner 4.1.1 reports higher VRAM usage than physically is avaible in some games. I've seen it in Watch Dogs where AB reports up to 3 GB when running on my 2 GB card, Call of Duty Ghosts gets to ~2,6 GB, and i've also seen it in Unigine Heaven when running high res + AA in DX9 and OpenGL.

Could you confirm that reported VRAM usage in AB 4.1.1 is valid and correct in Windows 10 Build 10240, or could this be a faulty readout?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015

16. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    I suspect he would say this

17. km52

km52 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    That's very likely indeed. :)

Btw, i have zero issues with AB under Win10, everything from clocks monitoring/adjustment to OSD works perfectly fine.
    For me the question is "are the VRAM values from AB correct?"

I'll wait for an official update then.

18. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660 Super
    Can I somehow overcome the -90Mhz core down-clocking limitation? My damn factory-OCed card is +200Mhz and I'd like to get the original specs 'cause of summer period. It doesn't go over 68-70C but still...

In case there isn't, do I have to bring the Power Limit down or something?

19. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    Are you using Afterburner? If so, press the "reset" button and see what happens.

20. Ishan

Ishan New Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Ti 11G
    Same problem here, mate.

I recently assembled a new rig and was benchmarking my GTX 980 Ti and in Shadow of Mordor I noticed that VRAM usage was reported over 6144 MB of video memory. Went all the way up to 6407.063.

So it looks like I just wasted 4 days in benchmarking several games. I had a feeling that Win 10 would slap in the face somehow. :p

edit:
    Also, like km2 i have no issues with the current version. The numbers logged are certainly accurate from the looks of things but not in the case of VRAM usage. I only noticed this few minutes back when i was reading my shadow of mordor log and saw that the VRAM usage went beyond 6144MB.

Problem is shown both in log and in OSD.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015