MSI Afterburner 4.1.0 Official(2014-Dec-22)

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Overclock Application Discussion' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 22, 2014.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    EDIT - Not Afterburner related

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  2. buhzy

buhzy Member

GPU:
    Msi rtx 2070 super
    tried still no luck

3. Cru_N_cher

Cru_N_cher Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI NX8800GT OC
    Congrats on the Extension great news for everyone but come on who should replace your excellent code there is no option really yet ;)

@Unwinder

Also do i hear right and Evgas Precision X will sooner or later not be based on your Rivatuner Core anymore ?

I really hope MSI will keep AIB Manufacture Independence of your Code in that Extension time :(

Also something is strange about Kboost

in Evga Precision X 5.2.4

it reinitializes the Graphics driver and doesn't ask for a Restart based on a registry change @ all ?

Hmm in Precision X 5.2.6

it seems the way of it working was changed once again by you ?

Release: 11/25/2014

KBoost fixes

So is the way in Msi Afterburner 4.1 now the final one with the Registry Change and Restart ?

Or was this strange Graphic Reinit in Precision X 5.2.4 a bad bug ?

or dont you have anything @ all todo anymore with this part of the Code on EVGAs side ?

To me it looks different how Kboost is working even if the rest of the code is yours ;)

Will try 5.2.6 to see if it still reinitializes the Graphics Driver like 5.2.4 did :)

This Graphic Driver reinitialization crashed Firefoxs plugin container most probably either Firefox D3D Render Core nor Adobes Flash Player liked it to be forced to reinit their Render states ;)

4. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

I'm not related to "new" Precision X so please leave the questions about differences in 5.x.x versions for EVGA forum.

5. Cru_N_cher

Cru_N_cher Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI NX8800GT OC
    Oh ok i understand

what about the AIB Manufacture independence question still Afterburner will be usable for all Brands Hardware in the AMD and Nvidia Ecosystem or something else decided for the Future by MSI ?

6. Unwinder

MSI Afterburner was vendor independent since day 1, there are no plans to implement vendor lock. but MSI indeed had some ideas to make some parts of functionality (e.g. Videocapture module) unlocked for hi-end MSI cards (Lightning series) only, but happily me & Hilbert managed to make them change their mind on it so it is available to everyone for free. Hope it will stay so for current and future functionality.

7. Cru_N_cher

Cru_N_cher Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI NX8800GT OC
    I guess so they have their hi cost Mainboard Designs with ********* SIP Capture System for Enthusiasts anyways so ;)

interesting that this Brandname is Censored

Aver(M)edia ;)

Unwinder i guess your Kboost (Powermizer Registry Change) isn't limited in anways according to its output Device ?

Evga added this to the Tooltip this also would correspond to my own testing and the GPU Driver reinit i saw happening, that caused Firefox to crash.

[​IMG]

So this seems very different from the old Powermizer way you found back then in the Registry (Rivatuner Times) ;)

and that is currently in your Afterburner Code shown in your Demonstration Video.

Really wonder what the Difference is EVGA still used your Kboost code (Registry Change) in

Precision X 4.2.1

but after that not anymore (arriving of boost 2.0) Titan/Maxwell

and suddenly they started Precision X 5.x and the new Kboost Method kills VGA (Analog Connection), very strange hardware dependencies.

Could this Kboost be a new hidden NVAPI yet NDA function ?

8. Extraordinary

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    Is this me being numb and missing something or an issue?

If I open Afterburner on the desktop, press F11 (My video capture key) the little camera icon starts flashing on the top left of the monitoring window, but pressing F11 again to stop it does nothing, and nothing is captured

It's not the capturing nothing that is the issue, I believe I need to change some setting to get desktop captured? But the icon refuses to stop flashing as if it thinks it is recording?

9. Unwinder

Where do you get all that nonsense? That's simple registry tweak, nothing more, nothing less. And it is really easy to monitor registry changes. It is not NVAPI, you're giving completely wrong info.

10. Unwinder

Click "i", add detected pseudo 3D processes to exceptions list in RTSS.

11. Extraordinary

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    Thanks, ill give that a shot, currently reinstalling windows on a new partition to try narrow down my constant and never ending game crashing and nVidia driver crashing errors

12. Cru_N_cher

Cru_N_cher Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI NX8800GT OC
    im just guessing because it doesn't work anymore like yours does in Afterburner 4.1 with the Precision Skin copied

Afterburner 4.1 asks for a Restart

Precision X 5.2.4 doesnt it restarts the Nvidia Driver and fails (VGA) (screen is flickering black as soon as i activate it like as a new Driver installation for a short time, it seems to be a TDR)

in Precision X 5.2.7 i can't use it anymore because it even detects the VGA connection and disallows activation.

It is definitely not the same base anymore as Afterburners 4.1 simple Registry Powermizer change.

13. Unwinder

> It is definitely not the same base anymore as Afterburners 4.1 simple Registry Powermizer change.

You're spreading misinformation (or lie) and I seriously ask you to stop for the very last time. Any further false claims about it will be simply removed.

I'm starting to regret about giving hints about KBOOST in this thread because it resulted in completely unrelated discussions, and seriously it is starting being really boring and time consuming. So can you PLEASE finally follow the recommendation and stop forcing me to comment your claims related to different EVGA Precision versions here? Otherwise I'll just ignore your questions on it, sorry.
    You're giving completely wrong info because it works EXACTLY like in AB, always worked and always will because "KBOOST" is nothing but 10 years old registry tweak. You don't even have to be a programmer to locate UNICODE registry keys called "PerfLevelSrc", "PowerMizerEnable", "PowerMizerLevel" and "PowerMizerLevelAC" inside Precision executable and track changes in those keys after enabling/disabling KBOOST. All the "magic" of KBOOST is hidden behind those 4 registry keys, period. And there is no any "old" or "new" KBOOST.
    And optional ability to reload driver dynamically without restarting OS (so registry changes can be applied without reboot) also existed in RivaTuner during about a decade, in this guide right button in RT low-level tweaks toolbar (monitor with 2 green arrows) is exactly the same dynamic driver reload feature, that causes display to blink for a second while the driver is being reloaded. And such reload has many drawbacks, can cause running 3D applications to crash and requires terminating them explicitly, so full reboot is much much more reliable way.

14. Cru_N_cher

Cru_N_cher Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI NX8800GT OC
    Deleted on behalf of Unwinders wish

15. Unwinder

Statement claiming that "kboost is not the same base as before and very different from the old Powermizer way " is a lie or your misunderstanding whatever you call it. And let's stop this KBOOST discusdion please. Stop stealing my NY weekends on commenting this nonsense PLEASE!

16. Unwinder

Thanks!

17. Cru_N_cher

Cru_N_cher Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI NX8800GT OC
    Ok then i was wrong and just the way of applying it is different why ever and precautions are taken by EVGA because of issues concerning the VGA connection part of it, but still dont understand why it's disallowed for VGA connection in Precision X and not in Afterburner :(

Just want to understand the Logic for this VGA connection Analog not allowed thing :(

Btw i didn't knew about these Reverse Engineering claims and incident what was happening with Precision X 15 but it seems crazy i mean that is totally your codebase it's the Rivatuner Core no rewrite it is your work silly stuff.

Especially as i thought only you could have written that detection as it's your code :)

I mean even if there are problems with the Driver reset for VGA connections why should someone code a force not be able to use it but rather dynamically switch over to the restart method if problems for the VGA driver reset are known i saw only the crash problems and ok my background settings changed but nothing really problematic.

18. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    GB 2060S,Gsync,3DV2
    Do you know that using default skin (blue default is what I like and come only with that old skin) power limit(and temp limit) is not visible ? I'd like to have a big blue edition skin if possible with all the new stuff.

Also detaching the monitoring stuff it would be handy if it minimizes when I minimize the main window.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  19. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    nevermind.....

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  20. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Im saying nowt. :p