MSI Afterburner 3.0.0 Beta 7(2013-03-14)

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by msi-afterburner, Mar 14, 2013.

1. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    Yo pill we have the nicer kinder genteler unwinder...dont f it up.

2. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    2xMSI N550GTX-Ti Cy II OC
    Hi Alex,

I'm trying to get my hands around what is needed to support the new thermal limits MACM settings. I don't have access to a Titan card....and I'm unfamiliar with the new feature. Would you mind clarifying a few things for me?

I'm referencing the image on this page for the UI changes. I've also read the BUTTON_PRIORITIZE/BUTTON_LINK_THERMAL/SLIDER_THERMAL_LIMIT/TEXT_THERMAL_LIMIT help files in the %install%/Help directory.

The slider and corresponding Cur/Min/Max/Def MACM_SHARED_MEMORY_GPU_ENTRY settings are stright forward. No explanation needed there.

The 2 questions I do have are:

1 - MACM_SHARED_MEMORY_FLAG_LINK_THERMAL
    What is the link relation between the power % and thermal °C? It does not appear to be a simple 1:1 or 2:1 type relationship. Also, if a user with a SLI system turns off synching with master, then how is this setting handled? The flag is in the header, not the gpu entry, so any changes to this will affect all GPUs?

2 - dwThermalPrioritizeCur/dwThermalPrioritizeDef
    What exactly does the prioritize state do? The GPU will clock down in order to honor the temp/power limits that are set (or is it temp over power when enabled)? What are the possible values? Is it just an on/off toggle (0-off/1-on)?

Thanks in advance,
    Nick

3. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Hi Nick,

Hehe, at last some wise posts instead of recent nonsense. :)
    Check this video from GTX Titan Presentation. Tom Petersen from NV demonstrates those features in action using Precision X starting from 0:48:50. The same applies to MSI Afterburner. This video is strongly recommended to all Titan owners btw, it explains how GPU Boost 2.0 works in details.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsuvlg8cuWA&feature=player_embedded

When link is enabled, AB/Precision use simple software linear interpolation of thermal limit range and recalculate it when power limit being adjusted. And yes, the changes affect all GPUs. Interpolation is suggested by NV, here is my implementation of it:

Code:
    void CMSIAfterburnerWnd::LinkThermal(CMSIAfterburnerContext* pContext, BOOL bLinkByPower)
    {
    	if (!pContext)
    		pContext = &m_context;

if (pContext->m_bPowerLimitControl && pContext->m_bThermalLimitControl)
    	{
    		if (bLinkByPower)
    		{
    			if ((pContext->m_dwPowerLimit < pContext->m_dwPowerLimitMin) ||
    				(pContext->m_dwPowerLimit > pContext->m_dwPowerLimitMax))
    				return;

if (pContext->m_dwPowerLimit > pContext->m_dwPowerLimitDefault)
    			{
    				pContext->m_dwThermalLimit = pContext->m_dwThermalLimitDefault +
    					(LONG)(1.0f * (pContext->m_dwPowerLimit - pContext->m_dwPowerLimitDefault) / (pContext->m_dwPowerLimitMax - pContext->m_dwPowerLimitDefault) * (pContext->m_dwThermalLimitMax - pContext->m_dwThermalLimitDefault));
    				pContext->m_dwThermalLimit = (pContext->m_dwThermalLimit > pContext->m_dwThermalLimitMax) ? pContext->m_dwThermalLimitMax : pContext->m_dwThermalLimit;
    			}
    			else
    			{
    				pContext->m_dwThermalLimit = pContext->m_dwThermalLimitDefault -
    					(LONG)(1.0f * (pContext->m_dwPowerLimitDefault - pContext->m_dwPowerLimit) / (pContext->m_dwPowerLimitDefault - pContext->m_dwPowerLimitMin) * (pContext->m_dwThermalLimitDefault - pContext->m_dwThermalLimitMin));
    				pContext->m_dwThermalLimit = (pContext->m_dwThermalLimit < pContext->m_dwThermalLimitMin) ? pContext->m_dwThermalLimitMin : pContext->m_dwThermalLimit;
    			}
    		}
    		else
    		{
    			if ((pContext->m_dwThermalLimit < pContext->m_dwThermalLimitMin) ||
    				(pContext->m_dwThermalLimit > pContext->m_dwThermalLimitMax))
    				return;

if (pContext->m_dwThermalLimit > pContext->m_dwThermalLimitDefault)
    			{
    				pContext->m_dwPowerLimit = pContext->m_dwPowerLimitDefault +
    					(LONG)(1.0f * (pContext->m_dwThermalLimit - pContext->m_dwThermalLimitDefault) / (pContext->m_dwThermalLimitMax - pContext->m_dwThermalLimitDefault) * (pContext->m_dwPowerLimitMax - pContext->m_dwPowerLimitDefault));
    				pContext->m_dwPowerLimit = (pContext->m_dwPowerLimit > pContext->m_dwPowerLimitMax) ? pContext->m_dwPowerLimitMax : pContext->m_dwPowerLimit;
    			}
    			else
    			{
    				pContext->m_dwPowerLimit = pContext->m_dwPowerLimitDefault -
    					(LONG)(1.0f * (pContext->m_dwThermalLimitDefault - pContext->m_dwThermalLimit) / (pContext->m_dwThermalLimitDefault - pContext->m_dwThermalLimitMin) * (pContext->m_dwPowerLimitDefault - pContext->m_dwPowerLimitMin));
    				pContext->m_dwPowerLimit = (pContext->m_dwPowerLimit < pContext->m_dwPowerLimitMin) ? pContext->m_dwPowerLimitMin : pContext->m_dwPowerLimit;
    			}
    		}
    	}
    }

It is on/off (1/0) toggle. The meaning is explained in video.

4. PopcornMachine

PopcornMachine Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 6950 2GB
    I would like to report something of a miracle. I have now been able to use a Catalyst version other than 12.8 with my HD 6950.

I spent most of yesterday trying in vain to install the new 13.3 beta 2 and then 13.1, but still got interlaced sections of the screen jumping around, just scrolling in a browser. That's best way I can describe it.

Tried and failed this way several times the past few months and always reverted to 12.8. So I did a few things different today.

Installed AB 3.0.0 Beta 7, uninstalled 12.8, installed .NET 4.0, then install Catalyst 13.1. Previously I would install .NET after any other Catalyst version, as it failed to start after reboot.

I did not think the problem was with Afterburner, as sometimes it would happen before I even started it. And others were having trouble with Trixx as well.

So don't know what to think now. Maybe just an alignment of the planets.

But anyway, thanks for the new version. Everything working fine now. I may try the Catalyst 13.3 beta 2 later, but probably shouldn't push my luck.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013

5. Unwinder

6. PopcornMachine

PopcornMachine Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 6950 2GB
    Thanks for clearing that up. Hadn't been keeping up on all the changes.

I must say I am very disappointed with AMD on this issue. Sent them a nasty issue report last night. Unfortunate that something they did had to be solved you guys.

Thanks again for the great tool.

7. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    2xMSI N550GTX-Ti Cy II OC
    Thanks for the information, as well as the link. That video does do a very good job of explaining it all.

8. JulioCesarSF

JulioCesarSF Active Member

GPU:
    SLI GTX 780 Ti
    Thank you.

And sorry for asking so many questions.

How do I make the icon inside the folder for translation?

:banana:

9. Unwinder

Witrh any graphics editor supporting ICO format. Also, you can provide the translation without it, I can create the icon myself.

10. Unwinder

Some more news on development:

Starting from the next beta OSD server will no longer be merged with Afterburner. Now it comes as an independent and optionally installable application similar to Kombuster. The same will apply to EVGA Precision.
    So those who constantly complain that "stupid OSD server breaks my games and automaticallt starts with Precision/Afterburner so I cannot even close it" can relax a bit. All functionality depending on the server (framerate monitoring, OSD display, screen and videocapture, automatic profiles management) will automatically disappear from AB/Precision GUI if you don't install the server.
    It will be easier now for us to update OSD part independently of AB/Precision.

11. xodius80

xodius80 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti
    thank you into making such a flexible program, even tho now we have diferent modules to install, i find it better to the avarage ´IT Joe´ doenst come and fill up the forums with complains that, they, themselfs cant properly read and to TRY debug.

pfft these ´´guru´s´´

thank unwinder for the program, i will wait for the mentioned realise.

ps: about these such GURUS: i think the post count badge (master guru, ancient guru etc) should be changed, ppl just take it to seriously...ohh look im a master guru myself, LOL.
    leave them kid badges for the kids.

12. moogleslam

moogleslam Guest

GPU:
    2 x Sapphire 6970 2GB
    Does this latest beta allow you to record your own voice with push to talk? A previous version introduced the ability to record your own voice in addition to game audio, but that had the microphone permanently on. A lot of users want their own voice recorded, but only when they hit a push to talk button.

Thanks

13. JohnMarston

JohnMarston Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7970
    Hi there Unwinder. First of all thanks for making Afterburner but also thnx for Rivatuner long time ago, which could unlock my GF6800 to 16/6 :banana:

If have a special question: Will you ever include support for the ADP4100 Voltage Controller in Afterburner? Seem's like this cheap chip is an evergreen for manufacturers... as far as i can read the datasheet that chip should be programmable on the fly (i'm a noob, sorry if i should be wrong)

would appreciate a comment. Thank you!

14. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    If could i can remember correctly i had that ic on a few cards some you could use software on but others you could not.

15. Mac.Sniper_E.

Mac.Sniper_E. Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX670-dc2-2gd5 (OC)
    IamGODobeyORdie, you were right. I've done extreme testing the past days with 2.3.1 and 3.0.0 B6 & B7.

B6 and B7 (indeed both, so B6 & B7 behave the same) are less forgiven for using high OC then 2.3.1 even with equal settings for AB and OSD.

So you can use 3.0.0 but you have to trim down your core & memory clock compared to 2.3.1. Doing so I never experienced a crash/froze again on BF3.

16. JohnMarston

JohnMarston Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7970
    ok, so this might be an issue of the card itself, not the controller... shame on it

17. Unwinder

It doesn't support software voltage override.

18. gedo

gedo Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700 XT 12GB
    Push-to-talk is already available in latest non-beta version 2.3.1. In fact there are separate push-to-talk key bindings for both audio tracks.

19. Ben

Ben Guest

GPU:
    AMD HD 7850 2GB
    I'm really pleased to see voltage control added for the AMD HD 7850 in the latest MSI Afterburner. However, I'm unable to increase the voltage beyond 1.218 (which is the factory set voltage). I am able to do so using Sapphire TriXX, but doing so maintains a constant voltage (even though the settings suggest otherwise) during low power states. I consider MSI Afterburner to be the more convenient utility, so it would be great if the voltage could be increased beyond 1.218. I believe the voltage controller chip is the CHL8225G (but TechPowerUp states it is the CHL8228 in their review). I'm unsure if that helps at all.

:)

20. Unwinder

That's the maximum, don't expect more, sorry.