1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MSI Afterburner 3.0.0 Beta 17(2013-11-14)

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Overclock Application Discussion' started by msi-afterburner, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

Just to prevent possible misinterpretations I'll clarify once again: beta 18 WON'T fix jumping monitored GPU usage on 290 series, it is bad AMD driver's coding issue and it can be fixed by AMD driver team only. In beta 18 GPU usage artifacts (spikes/gaps) will be smoothed a bit due to adding special math filtering algorithm aimed special to correct erroneous AMD driver's readings on Hawaii. But the artifacts still will be visible and usage will go up and down, just not that rapidly as before due to post-processing data.
    Some users with no expect knowledge in this area tend to insist that it is still broken in AB simply because they don't see that pattern in GPU-Z. Which is not true at all and I'll repeat once again that GPU-Z is simply displaying different performance counter under "GPU Load" name for Hawaii, what you see there is D3DKMT performace counter and not a hardware GPU load sensor reading coming from AMD ADL API. It doesn't (and not supposed to) match with values which you see in AB, CCC or any other vendor's tool working with AMD driver. Those who understand that and still wish to see D3D GPU usage perf counter instead of AMD GPU usage perf counter will be able to edit CFG and force AB to display DX perf counter instead of AMD's one.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  2. kcuestag

kcuestag Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX980Ti G1
    Not sure if it'll help, but regarding the I2C readings from AMD being inefective, I have reported it to an AMD Rep I know and hope he can forward it to the appropiate department so that they can consider it fixing it.

Unwinder, does this I2C slow readings also cause the GPU Usage bug where it jumps from 0 to 100% every second? Or only the core throttling (When using voltage monitoring for example)

Thanks, and Happy New Year!

3. Unwinder

Answered before, those are different and unrelated issues.

4. kcuestag

kcuestag Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX980Ti G1
    Thanks, I didn't see that last part of the message. I'll let the AMD guy know. :)

5. hanson

hanson Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX780 LIGHTNING/3G
    Glad to hear it :) thanks alot Unwinder .... My 780 LIGHTNING will be arrived in first week of Jan'2014, I hope Afterburner 3.0.0 BETA 18 already been released at that time ^_^ Merry Christmas to everyone!! Ho...ho...ho and happy New Year 2014!! GBU.

6. Igniz12

Igniz12 New Member

GPU:
    GTX 570
    Woohoo new beta. Thank you so much. This software has become goddamn invaluable for me in the last few months. I see a few knobs and whistles have been added as well......damn if I know what any of it does (yet) but keep em coming.

Merry belated Xmas and happy 2014 for all.

7. Hootmon

Hootmon Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX580 8GB
    Thanks for the Christmas present, Unwinder.

8. yuriy128

yuriy128 New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290
    Merry Christmas to All.

I think I found a bug:

When I select a custom undervolt, for example -56, click apply -> it will set it to -50. Always gets decremented by 6.
    So if I save a custom undervolt for -56 to autorun, every time the app runs it will get decremented, so -50, -44, -38, etc...

Do you know how to fix this? Otherwise I can't rely on computer reboot, since the setting will change every time the app runs.

Thanks!

9. yuriy128

yuriy128 New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290
    Actually it has to do with negative settings and rounding. It behaves differently if the voltage is positive. Works fine for +, but broken for minus...

10. Unwinder

Thanks for reporting. Beta 18 is already submitted to MSI so I'll verify it after New Year holidays.

11. Ltmatt

Ltmatt Member Guru

GPU:
    HIS Ice-Q 7950 Crossfire
    Yes i have noticed this as well. It does it with Aux voltage as well.

12. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX980 GAMING 1531mhz
    About AB beta 18

• Regular and SE versions of MSI Afterburner are now merged into single installer. Added voltage control mode selection option to the “Compatibility properties” section in “General” tab. Now you can toggle between reference design, standard MSI and extended MSI voltage control modes

This will apply on future MSI cards with unlocked voltage, like a future GTX880 Lightning ?

13. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    I would think it's hard to say w/o crystal ball , w/o having hardware yet .

We would hope there would be a way to alter voltages on up-coming cards .

14. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970 Ghz Ed.
    Unwinder EXPLAINED THIS IN A PREVIOUS POST AWHILE BACK!
    Takes voltage in 6.25mv steps. That's why using command line to set voltage offsets to I2C (hex value) goes in 6.25x (decimal version of the hex value).
    So passing 10 (16 decimal) is 6x25 x 16=100 mv.

Passing 8 hex (also 8 decimal) is 6.25 x 8 =50 mv.

15. newhit

newhit Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Ti Classy
    Sorry if this is tied to the SE issue but...........

Got myself a couple of 780 Ti Clasifieds and changed the bios to "Skyn3ts" AB version.

I do not have any voltage control in AB beta 17 even after enabling voltage in the settings menu. Power target shows up as 300% ok.

Sorry if this is answered elsewhere, or it's an SE issue, but I can't find it.

16. Unwinder

I think you misunderstood him ;)

17. Unwinder

There is no voltage control for non-reference non-MSI cards. And there is no voltage control for any reference 780 Ti cards yet.

18. Unwinder

All

Sadly MSI are on holidays so beta 18 will be available in Jan 2014.

19. newhit

newhit Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Ti Classy
    Sorry.........:bang:.....I've obviously missed Unwinders references to this

20. Mr_ALLroy

Mr_ALLroy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 Ti Gaming X
    Thanks for keeping us posted on this. :)