MSI Afterburner 3.0.0 Beta 16(2013-10-25)

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Overclock Application Discussion' started by msi-afterburner, Oct 25, 2013.

1. 3dPlayer

3dPlayer Banned

GPU:
    Have
    :banana::banana::banana:

2. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Moderator Staff Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW

I'll give it a shot and report back.

3. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Moderator Staff Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Nice job. It's working really well. I don't even notice any performance hit with video recording. My settings

Video format: MJPG compression
    Container format: MKV
    Quality: 100%
    Frame Size: 16:9 1080p
    Framerate: 75 FPS
    Framerate limit disabled
    Multithreaded optimization: automatic

4. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    Unwinder ive tried this with the batman arkham origins benchmark since its quite intensive and these are my results.

RSS settings
    [​IMG]
    No recording
    Min - Max - Avg
    50 - 88 - 69
    [​IMG]
    Shadowplay
    Min - Max - Avg
    50 - 91 - 69
    [​IMG]
    RSS 5.41
    Min - Max - Avg
    28 - 80 - 61
    [​IMG]
    RSS 5.50 HD recording Black caviar
    Min - Max - Avg
    32 - 86 - 61
    [​IMG]
    RSS 5.50 Video Prerecord Ram
    Min - Max - Avg
    34 - 90 - 64
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013

5. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for results, guys, more results are welcome.

WhiteLightning

With such settings (1080p60 @ 100% MJPG) bitrate is huge so most likely you're bottlenecked by HDD writes rather than video capture itself. And minimum FPS drop hints that. So having faster capture doesn't help much if you're limited by different factor. If I were testing performance hit from compression only under such settings I'd use prerecord to RAM.
    Or use the benchmarks/3D engines entirely bottlenecked by video capture (for example Resident Evil 6 Benchmark).

6. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    well i tried to duplicate the shadowplay settings, but it only says 1080p , 60fps , high quality. so not really sure what the quality is. but i forgot to try the new ram pre-record feature, so ill brb :)
    I can also try RE6 since i also own that, but that will be tomorrow.

7. Unwinder

You can only "duplicate" ShadowPlay settings by using close H264 compression/bitrate via QuickSync in AB. Something like that (comments are in Russian but the numbers speak for themselves). What would be more representative is results of RTSS 5.5.x vs 5.4.x in various tests.

8. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    Unwinder could it be that my intel hd graphics 3000 gpu on the 2600k is too weak ?
    i have tried to set the same settings. high / 30mbps (shadowplay has 34mbps bitrate)
    shadowplay info
    [​IMG]

settings intel quicksync
    [​IMG]

im getting 20-35 fps when i enable that.
    the video showed medium shadowplay settings and unknown settings and setup , so i dont know if it can manage it.
    or maybe its the dx9 setting ? i think ive read you said somewhere that dx11 is faster. im not sure

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  9. Valkyrie743

Valkyrie743 Active Member

GPU:
    Evga GTX 1080 FTW
    im a little lost. i updated and im getting the same performance hit while recording than before updating to the beta RTSS??

i tried with x264VFW and with just plain MJPEG :/ tried it in batman arkham origins. same challenge map with this i get fps drop to 95fps (normally 120-122fps) and with shadowplay i get only drop down to 110-115fps

what recording setting do i have to use to use shadowplay like recording with msi ?

10. hanson

hanson Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX780 LIGHTNING/3G
    Any info when will SE version be released, sir Unwinder? ^_^

11. Pepa1

Pepa1 Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Afterburner on Windows 8.1 does not hold 2D tacts even if you do not use anything GPU. I've found that it makes the process "store" running in the background. When this process is manually turned off, tacts fall correctly to 2D. Please advice how to solve this ......

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  12. Unwinder

No, it should be able to compress 1080p stream at 100+ FPS easily. QuickSync/Intel HD drivers are not configured/installed properly on your system. Anyway, I won't lilke to dig into configuring QuickSync again in this thread, it was discussed widely in previous betas threads.

13. Unwinder

You're misunderstanding things. You cannot expect exactly the same results vs SP. 95 FPS OFF vs 120 FPS ON is close to expected limit. x264VFW/MJPG are still CPU compressions and they need some CPU time to encode 1080p @ 60 stream, it cannot compress it without using CPU at all and will consume some performance in CPU intensive applications.
    The point of 5.5.0 is minimizing framerate drop caused by grabbing frames from DirectX applications. Keplers have fast DMA framebufer readback interface wich helps with that.

14. Unwinder

Please use search. This question is being asked in any beta version thread and I'm really tired to repeat the same: I don't release any SE/Extreme versions! MSI do. Ask MSI, I'm not a company employee.

15. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    ok sorry to hear that. i was only trying to help you test.

I tried your instructions from a previous thread which did work (since it ran the benchmark).

Anyways i found the posts of the benchmark and your comment about quality and 60fps limitation of quicksync software.

anyways good luck with the testing :thumbup:

16. Unwinder

Quoted discussion apply to QuickSync _software_ emulation mode. Properly configured and working _hardware_ accelerated QuickSync compression easily gives 120+ FPS compression performance for 1080p. Anyway, QuickSync configuration related questions are beyond what I need to test in 5.5.0. There are no changes in QuickSync between 5.4.0 and 5.5.0, if you had QS configuration issues in 5.4.0 it won't be magically boosted by 5.5.0. Performance improvements are related to frame capture way (DMA NVAPI in 5.5.0 vs native DirectX capture in 5.4.0).

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  17. Unwinder

Let me summarize some general video capture basics to give you better understanding of expeted/real performance penalties of different video capture tools/approaches. I'll also explain what can be expected from 5.5.0 and so on. I'm leaving officie for lunch now, will do it when I'm back.

18. hanson

hanson Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX780 LIGHTNING/3G
    Oh sorry Unwinder, so you create RTSS and MSI create Afterburner?
    Btw I can unlock and use tripple power in MSI Afterburner 3.0.0 BETA 16 (non SE version) so I guess it's OK to use it with MSI GTX680 Lightning, right?

19. Unwinder

No. Both are single man products and coded entirely by me. But SE or Extreme builds of Afterburner with extended voltage limits unlocked are provided to public ONLY by MSI. So ask MSI when it will be released, not me.

20. hanson

hanson Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX780 LIGHTNING/3G
    OK thx you for the info Unwinder :)
    Sorry for my miss-understanding from previous post.