MSI Afterburner 3.0.0 Beta 15(2013-09-16)

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by msi-afterburner, Sep 16, 2013.

1. RadioActiveLobster

RadioActiveLobster Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti FTW3
    Unwinder, since both Watch Dogs and Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag on PC will support ONLY 64bit OS versions are you still going to use your excuse that people are just screaming "I want it" and that it's not viable to devote development time to supporting 64-bit applications?

Not so "useless" now, is it?

2. Killer344

Killer344 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 1080 TI GAMINGX
    oh... so this must be the reason it doesn't work on the BF4 beta...

3. Avi

Avi Member

GPU:
    GTX 770 Classified 4Gb
    He's doing this for us for free. He doesn't need an excuse not to do something; he can decide to stop development at any time.

4. Avi

Avi Member

GPU:
    GTX 770 Classified 4Gb
    SOLVED

Hello, Unwinder.

I updated my video card today from an EVGA GTX 570 HD to a EVGA GTX 770 Classified. Now, whenever I start video capture using the quicksync, the game I am trying to capture (ARMA 3) crashes almost instantly. The crash report is posted below in case you think it would help.

Thanks!
    Code:
    Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name:	APPCRASH
      Application Name:	arma3.exe
      Application Version:	1.2.110.424
      Application Timestamp:	52440456
      Fault Module Name:	SaveMedia.dll
      Fault Module Version:	1.35.0.0
      Fault Module Timestamp:	5234ce0c
      Exception Code:	c0000094
      Exception Offset:	0004600b
      OS Version:	6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
      Locale ID:	1033
      Additional Information 1:	0a9e
      Additional Information 2:	0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
      Additional Information 3:	0a9e
      Additional Information 4:	0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
    EDIT Benchmarking the Quicksync works fine and the problem happens when using MPJG encoding as well, not just Quicksync. Is it possible that the issue AB has is with the GTX 770, which is a Kepler and not a Fermi?

EDIT 2Nope. I had to uninstall and reinstall RTSS too. I thought just uninstalling and reinstalling AB after I updated the card would be enough. I forgot that RTSS has a function in capturing as well. Sorry.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013

5. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

I think you confused this forum with EVGA Precision's one. Go there with such tone please, and I don't owe you anything to read provocative things about "making excuses" here. So bye.
    And for rest and more mature application users I'll simply quote a part of my email, which summarize my POV on low priority of 64-bit RTSS:

Hi Martin,

I have no plans to provide 64-bit support in RTSS while 64-bit applications cover insignificant part of market. Developing 64-bit server is not a trivial application recompilation, API hooking engine works with target application machine code at low-level, it contains built-it x86 executable machine code disassembler for stealth mode functionality and floating injection point implementation, many parts of hook engine are written in ASM as well as performance critical video compression parts are heavily optimized ASM/SSE2. So 64-bit version means that whole hooking infrastructure must be re-created from scratch as well as some parts of video encoding (e.g. whole highly effective RTV1 compressor). So that's rather expensive from development time point of view, I'd say it is costs 2-3 weeks of fulltime development. At the same time it only extends user base a bit and it brings zero new functionality to the majority of application users, as well as gives them potential issues due to rewriting some parts of previously polished codebase. I see zero sense in it current market state. Yes, one day it will be absolutely necessary to provide 64-bit server when 32-bit applications become the minority. But that "one day" is somewhere in far future, and right now I have a choice to invest the same few weeks of development in new functionality and I'll always chose this way.

WBW, Alex

So you may dislike it, but I always have a lot of tasks in development queue and 64-bit server is floating somewhere next to end with the lowest priority, it won't be developed until it is absolutely required by the state of market. Afterburner is not just a videorecording application, it is not a primary application functionality and finally it is FREE for end users so we absolutely don't need additional "videorecording in 64-bit" selling point to attact new gamers and make them purchase the application. The tasks related to the primary application functionality (overclocking and new GPUs support) and affecting MUCH bigger application user base will always have higher priority, it is a fact and you cannot change it. For example now I'm finishing implementation of video pre-recording feature, which will improve videorecording functionality in ANY applications, then I'll proceed with supporting two new VRMs for future custom design MSI cards (and MSI want this to be done ASAP) then I'll need to provide support for upcoming AMD Hawaii GPU and develop low-level I2C driver for it. Canceling those tasks and investing month of work time just to get BF4 videorecording is just plane stupid and insane. But if you think that you can effectively code all those tasks alone and manage task priorities better way - you're free to develop your own tool, probably the vendors find it more interesting than RT technologies for their hardware and you'll be able to make every user happy better than I could.

6. Avi

Avi Member

GPU:
    GTX 770 Classified 4Gb
    In your post describing your current opinions on 64 bit you referenced that much of the code is "heavily optimized ASM/SSE2". Are you considering optimizing for SSE3/SSSE3/SSE4.1/.2/AVX etc. for newer processors? Or is that way too much work for little return.

Thanks again!

7. Franky

Franky Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon 7950 3GB
    Well then, how about making a 64-bit version that is not free? I know I would buy it.

8. Unwinder

Nope. There will never be non-free versions of RT and RT-based products. I never asked for donations since the very first RT beta and never accepted an idea of selling anything to users, software must be completely free for anyone and it won't change. Vendors are different story if they want to sell some copies of software with their graphics cards.

9. Unwinder

SSE3+ variations don't give a significant boost for this task comparing to SSE2 implementation. Using AVX can have some boost in future (not the nearest one).

10. kcuestag

kcuestag Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX980Ti G1
    Hello Unwinder,

What do you think about this?

https://twitter.com/EVGA_JacobF/status/385881327603433472

After talking with Jacob at EVGA, he said he talked with the developer (Which I'm guessing he means you) and that 64bit support would come in the future.

Is it true? Is it in the works?

I know you said that you weren't planning on 64bit because it was too expensive on resources, but have you changed your mind?

Sorry if this has been answered in the last days, I couldn't see anyone talking about this rather than saying NO.

Thank you.

11. anDrasch

anDrasch Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia
  12. Unwinder

Post #125, quoted email text there is exactly what I answered to Jacob. So yes, 64-bit support in RTSS will appear one day of course when the market absolutely demand it, but it is not in nearest future plans and of course it is not in development.

13. kcuestag

kcuestag Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX980Ti G1
    Thanks, that's better than a no.

I'll miss having the OSD in Battlefield 4 though, I'll have to get used to playing without it. :bang:

Thank you for the reply!

14. 3dPlayer

3dPlayer Banned

GPU:
    Have
    I actually think that's a good thing, less things to get you distracted. :)

15. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    Hi Alex.

I sent you a PM regarding a question I have on this beta. It includes a screenshot.

Thanks

16. Unwinder

Hi Marc,

Replied in PM

17. Unwinder

Good news. I've just finished implementation of video prerecording feature. Similar to QuickSync support, it was also implemented in MSI AB entirely to provide some free competition to NVIDIA's ShadowPlay software and more preceisly ShadowPlay's shadow recording mode. In its current form MSI Afterburner's prerecording mode uses the following approach:

- In addition to old good traditional video recording hotkey you can define one more independent hotkey in MSI Afterburner's GUI for video prerecording function. So you can perform both traditional video recording and prerecording during the same gaming session
    - When you press video prerecording hotkey MSI Afterburner starts capturing and compressing video and store it into buffer in RAM instead of writing it to HDD. So you always have the last few minutes of compressed video+audio. Pressing video prerecording or traditional video recording hotkey one more time will finalize prerecording session and save buffered video+audio to HDD. After that you can press prerecord hotkey again to start new prerecording session or press traditional video record hotkey to start traditional video recording session.
    - Length of prerecording buffer is user configurable and can be controlled via MSI Afterburner GUI. You can limit length of prerecording either by size limit (256MB by default) or by time limit (600 seconds or 10 minutes by default). Actual prerecorded video length depends on your video encoding/compression settings, e.g. default prerecord buffer size (256MB) allows to fit approximately 1.5 minutes of 1680x1050 @ 30 FPS video with MJPEG 85% quality compression. Better compression algorithms, e.g. QuickSync with H.264 compression drastically increase length of video, which you can fit in the same prerecording buffer.

It's the first test implementation of prerecording, so we can expect some fundamental changes in prerecording approach depending on this function usage experience.

18. Smellyead

Smellyead New Member

GPU:
    MSI R7870 OC
    Hi,

Since updating to this beta version, I cannot get screen capture or video capture to work? :( Using RTSS v5.3.2

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  19. Haldi

Haldi Master Guru

GPU:
    R9-290 CF
    i wonder how long i can pre record with 40GB RAM in 5760x1080 uncompressed :D

will there be some kind of rewind symbol while prerecording is running?
    I hope it's not a moving symbol like while recording.

20. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X
    Hey Unwinder,

First off, thanks for adding the CPU monitoring back in! It's the one thing I've really been missing without the plugin support rivatuner had. It's so much nicer to only have to run one monitoring program for everything.

Having said that, I've been noticing that may pagefile size is reading far higher than it should. I currently have my pagefile set to min/max 1GB, but i consistently see afterburner reporting 5-6GB and as high as 9GB while I was playing the BF4 beta.

I double checked the pagefile size (using Windirstat) to make sure that the pagefile.sys really was only 1GB.

Just wondering if you've seen/heard of this before?