MSI Afterburner 2.2.3 (2012-07-24)

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by msi-afterburner, Jul 24, 2012.

1. michaelrw

michaelrw New Member

GPU:
    680 lightning
    anyone who needs to download a copy of the "old" "unlocked-LN2" BIOS, I have made a copy from my card and am hosting it on my gmail account. You can download it here

2. cmdrdredd

cmdrdredd Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 SLI @ 1240/6772
    I think Nvidia is only protecting their bottom line. They don't like you overclocking a cheaper card and beating a higher end card. They want you to spend $500+ for the cards. Also, what if in 6 months they have a new version with higher voltage and clocks yet they get burned because everyone can buy a cheaper version now and actually beat the next release?

I think they are moving backwards. I just hope there is a real reason, like something hardware safety related that would make them want to lock you out. I just doubt it and think it's about the $$$. Also, throttle at 70c is ridiculous. Every GPU previous to the GTX 600 series went above 70c easily and safely. Why can't the GTX 670/680? What do they know that we don't? Or are they just trying to protect their bottom line down the road by limiting current cards and then releasing one later for much more money with no limits?

3. Orthello

Orthello Active Member

GPU:
    980 tri sli @ 1740/7900
    Hmm guys Nvidia is getting really heavy handed. Not only are the castrating the 600series voltage wise they are now screwing over the enthusiasts on the 500series by putting a 1000mhz cap in place.

See threads Here

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1682091

and here

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=366135

I'm starting to think i'll give them one month , if they don't fix this or a valid work around is found for the 500 series my next upgrade won't be nvidia .. this is just unbelievable. They could sort the RMA warranty problem easily - what about a tick box in the drivers to unlock overclocking, if you tick that box nvidia records the serial number of your cards, thats your warranty gone .. and i would'nt care in doing that. Simple.

4. michaelrw

michaelrw New Member

GPU:
    680 lightning
    i agree my friend. i dont mind voiding a warranty once ive tested the card and make sure its working properly. I usually end up voiding it anyways when i prep the card with conformal coat, grease and insulation for subzero bench. I have no problem trading my warranty for an awesome worthwhile overclocking experience :D

5. Xnerdz

Xnerdz New Member

GPU:
    MSI 670 PE OC 2G
    What's ironic is that we shouldn't have to void the warranty using the triple overvoltage. It's printed on the dam box! They should have printed something like "Warning! Warranty void if you use all the features of this card!" lol

6. wadec22

wadec22 New Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning 2g
    so i have old bios for msi lightning 680 and 2.2.3. why does the voltage fluctuate so much even though i have "force constant voltage" checked? using ln2 bios.

7. xoleras

xoleras Active Member

GPU:
    msi lightning gtx 580 sli
    Because voltage is applied at the driver level and afterburner adds to it. The driver determind the offset, and whatever you set in AB will be added.....there's no way around the fluctuation unless you use a hard mod I believe.

Trust me you don't want constant voltage.

8. xoleras

xoleras Active Member

GPU:
    msi lightning gtx 580 sli
    Also, much appreciation to unwinder. You're the best buddy :) I know a lot of people are jerks to you for some reason but the community really appreciates what you do. Thanks!

I've been able to get my 680 lightnings to around 1400, although I need to get water blocks to keep temps at a more comfortable level.

You are the man! :banana:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  9. elbubi

elbubi Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX980 Ti G1
    Hi Unwinder.

One little doubt, AB 2.2.3 is supposed to work "better" with LN2 BIOS on 680 Lightnings or is it the same to use it with standard bios (talking about first batch BIOS).

Thanks indeed!

10. rsnubje

rsnubje New Member

GPU:
    PoV GTX 680
    What about the clocks, stock vs LN2? When I use the LN2 bios it gets me like 1210 MHz max(boost clock), but a higher score than another 680 with 1280 on boost and even way higher clocked vram.

11. DrBoss

DrBoss Member

GPU:
    SLI MSI 670 Power Edition
    Great job Unwinder, thanks for pushing out 2.2.3

My N670 Power Edition is stable at:

+20 Core Voltage
    +135 Core (1350MHz effective)
    +700 Vram (3703 MHz effective)

max temp after 30 minutes continuous loop in Unigine Heaven is 66C w/ custom fan profile only ramping up to 67%

12. Atzenkeeper500

Atzenkeeper500 Member

GPU:
    GTX 470
    @ Boss - can you give us your GTX Bios, that would be great

13. GPU

GPU Guest

-not a switch , but a link\resistor\leg of a IC\[that can't be repaired] to cut that would mark the card so it's easily detected as being voltage abused for rma's or resale.

14. kzinti1

kzinti1 Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    I agree. I'd gladly sign away any warranty if I were allowed to run the card I buy as I see fit.
    It would let Nvidia off the hook for any RMA and it would make me be even more careful about how I decide to OC.
    Remember it's the lawyers, bankers and underwriters that are keeping us from doing what we want. Not the Nvidia engineers and coders.
    -Off Topic-Something that worries me even more is the inability to safely OC an Ivybridge cpu due to Intel's poor choice of an insulator in their chips. They only guarantee stock speeds though and I'd hate to have to start modding cpu's as I used to with AMD so many years ago. My hands just aren't as steady as before for something that delicate.
    I'm afraid that these are the end days for overclocking.

15. ssgtocb

ssgtocb New Member

GPU:
    msi gtx670 pe oc
    gtx 670 pe bios

@ drboss can you please send me your bios?!! that would save my day...

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012

16. Mott

Mott Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GXT
    Sorry if I missed it, but I haven't been keeping up on this forum. I was wondering is the development for AMD cards done for afterburner or is there still going to be future support for AMD cards and overclocking in future versions?

17. famich

famich Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 780TI SLI@1250
    I got the brand new Lightning with the LN2 BIOS version 80.04.28.00.3A
    I can go up to 1.275V at +93MV , no more /no 1.3 as reported by other guys for examplex at OC.NET and elsewhere /

I have read that the first 5000 Lightnings got completely unlocked LN2 BIOS and that Nvidia should impose even here some restictions regarding the voltage.

I know that I got a newer version of this LN2BIOS- is it possible, that my card s already got a bit restricted overvolting capability ?

Thanks for the reply ! :)

18. Nico

Nico New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX690
    Does the same offset apply to a reference card, say a GTX690 with 2.2.3?

really want a bit more than 1175 as its watercooled and barely get to 50 c now.

19. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

No, it doesn't. Voltage on reference cards are still controlled via NVIDIA drivers with the same limitations.

20. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660 SUPER
    I know, it's not relevant, but... does Memory Usage miss on you too on Win 8 ( pro x64 ) ?

The monitoring seemingly works normally, but I don't see Mem Us. anymore... Mysterious.