MSI Afterburner 2.2.0 Beta 9 (2011-11-24)

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by msi-afterburner, Nov 24, 2011.

1. erm

erm Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 560 1GB
    great job! thx Unwinder !

2. burebista

burebista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060GAMING X
    Just two words: it works. :thumbup:

3. erm

erm Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 560 1GB
    Unwinder, forgive my noob question :(

there's a way to set individual applications and not globally?

4. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Sure, just add those settings to desired profile file instead of altering global profile template.

5. TFL Replica

TFL Replica Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    Thanks, this is the perfect Christmas present. Also, I can finally tell people to stop installing dxtory just to limit the framerate. :)

6. erm

erm Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 560 1GB
    :nerd: Indeed I tried to configure the individual game profile and works well !!! Thanks !!!

7. kcuestag

kcuestag Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX980Ti G1
    I extracted the .RAR into MSI Afterburner's folder, and this is what I get when I try to launch the program now;

[​IMG]

I have also tried uninstalling, and installing it again, and same issue persists.

Any ideas?

8. TFL Replica

TFL Replica Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    Extract it to the OSD server's directory. Default path for that is: C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner\Bundle\OSDServer

:)

9. johnnyw

johnnyw Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 570 TFIII PE/OC
    Hmm i have weird problem with this latest beta. If i use osd my framerate drops after 10-15mins of gaming. Like as an example if i play f1 2011 at start of the game i get 90fps but suddenly after 10-15mins fps has dropped to around 70. Without AB running in backround i dont get that fps drop so anyone has idea what could reason for that to happen?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  10. kcuestag

kcuestag Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX980Ti G1
    Ouch! Thanks a lot! :)

11. kcuestag

kcuestag Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX980Ti G1
    This works like a beast! Steady 62fps all the time in Battlefield 3 maxed out, a lot smoother than using the in-game fps limiter (which would stutter like crazy) or bandicam (which would freeze my game as soon as I enabled the fps limiter).

Thank you guys! Love it! no more wasting GPU usage, heat, or noise when I don't need it! :p

12. Soundcreepy

Soundcreepy Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY 780 Enthusiast 3gb
    I must admit, I'm slightly confused here...... What are the benefits by limiting your frame-rate with Afterburner than by lets say using d3do to enable Vsync and Triple Buffer? Or am I supposed to use Afterburner's frame-rate limiter and d3do's TB? Or is d3do suddenly "bad"?

All in all the OSD functions work like a charm :) Just not sure of the benefits of using them over something else. (sorry for my noobness :p )

13. TFL Replica

TFL Replica Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    A simple google search would answer your question about the difference between vsync and a framerate cap. There's no such thing as d3doverrider suddenly being bad. These are two entirely different things that address different issues. I'm not going to reward your laziness with a long comprehensive answer.

14. Soundcreepy

Soundcreepy Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY 780 Enthusiast 3gb
    *sigh* I know the difference between Vsync (telling the graphics card it can only update after the monitor refreshes, therefore eliminating tearing) and a frame-rate cap. I was simply asking if there were benefits using one over the other (or if its possible to use both)

I have always been a person to use Vsync with Triple-Buffer enabled through D3DO, came across this new feature in Afterburner, and wondered if it was something that could be more beneficial to me than my current method.

Its interesting though that you refer me to search for something in a search engine when the main purpose of a forum (which last I knew this still was) is a place to gather and share information on subjects to which the forum pertains to. (in this case the beta frame-rate limiter now available for Afterburner)

Related Note: Was playing around with the frame-rate cap and did notice that, at least for me, Section 8: Prejudice did not want to launch if ran with the beta OSD files present. (could have been D3DO however, might have forgotten to shut it off, need to do more testing)

15. TFL Replica

TFL Replica Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    All the information you'd need about framerate caps are already here.

16. Soundcreepy

Soundcreepy Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY 780 Enthusiast 3gb
    ok fine, well, if anyone else is curious, from what i gathered the main downside to Vsync is it introduces input lag (even though I have yet to notice) and the frame-rate cap does not introduce any extra lag however may not fully eliminate tearing.

I guess now the question is will this limiter become obsolete when NV finally releases its in-driver limiter.

17. Unwinder

You're confusing others, the main idea behind framarate limiter implementation is using it in conjunction with video capture. And unfortunately NV's own framerate limiter is OpenGL only, similar to triple buffering forcing option in the control panel.

18. Soundcreepy

Soundcreepy Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY 780 Enthusiast 3gb
    So then if you don't video capture, you don't really need/want to stop using what you were using? (in my case D3DO) I did like being able to limit FPS to 45 to help with cooling, but did not like the occasional tearing that occurred. (but it was much better than having no limit at all)

Well, I guess I'll just continue to use D3DO for now and pray that the latency that Vsync can possibly bring doesn't rear its ugly head. Too bad there is no way to limit Vsync (like telling Vsync instead of capping at 60 to cap at 45 or something)

(UPDATE: Im sticking with the frame-limiter for now, got addicted to using the OSD and like the readout on my G15 keyboard, just can't seem to use D3DO and the OSD program at the same time, at least in S8: Prejudice, the game just refuses to launch. Havn't tried any other games yet however. Happens with the OSD program that came with 2.2.0 Beta 9 and the frame-limiter beta version)

Too bad about NV's version only overriding OpenGL, that severely limits functions in the CP.

To keep the thread on topic: Other than some noobish confusion on my part, I have had no issues with Beta 9 :) (other than the update described above) Can't wait till 2.2.0 comes out of beta, or Beta 10 comes :nerd:

Thanks Unwinder for the info!

UPDATE 2: with the beta RTSS.exe, I cannot seem to turn off the OSD program (well, I can close it, but then it just comes right back) without killing the Afterburner process as well, not sure if this is intended or not. Prior to installing the OSD beta I could close it fine.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  19. Unwinder

Sorry but RTFM is the only possible answer. That's not anyway related to RTSS beta, that's Afterburner usage basics, which is documented in readme, context help and forums.

20. PirateNeilsouth

PirateNeilsouth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    980 OC
    Although we don't get along, this is seriously nice work

Well done!