MSI Afterburner 2.2.0 Beta 14 (2012-02-21)

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by msi-afterburner, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    4GB? Just 12mths ago 2GB was unheard of and already we hearing about 4GB vram...? Wow.

2. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    can anyone upload the 2 files that are required for msi afterburner to overclock properly with amd cards or at least point me in the direction to finding them without reinstalling older drivers just to pull them out? i just installed the new drivers and they seem to be working better than the ones that came with the card. but for some reason i cant overclock past 1125/1575 even when i enable unofficial overclocking. i remember reading a thread about it but i cant seem to find it anymore.

thanks

3. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    nevermind, i found what i was looking for.

4. bdub5886

bdub5886 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 G1 Gaming
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=359671

This guy made a post about it with a zip file link. However be sure to scan the file as the guy has 1 post on the forum.

5. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I just copied atipdlxx.dll to my AB install folder....

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  6. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    it didnt work for me at first. i had to pull atidpdlxx.dll and atidpdlxx.dll from an older driver and then copied one to syswow64 and the other to system32. then had to uninstall ab and then reinstall it. the overclocking worked after that.

7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    tbh I copied the file to system32 first and then to the AB directory as well.

8. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    i dont see why amd took those files out. if we choose to oc our cards past their recommended limits, that should be our choice. not someone elses.

9. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Yeah pretty strange...could potentially drive away customers. I only got a 6950 cuz it can be overclocked to 6970 while still costing $120 less.

Otherwise I might've gone GTX 570.

10. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    You mean atidplxx and atipdl64? I just freshly formatted so I installed the latest 12.2 so I came here for info. I assume the atipdl64 goes into syswow64 and the xx goes into system32?

Edit: Well I was wrong, I noticed sys32 has ati files ending in 64. I put those 2 in all 3 locations (AB folder, sys32, wow64) and it doesn't work. What could I be doing wrong?

Note: I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post here (I asked, no response) so please let me know if I'm not.

11. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

atipdl64 is not needed, you need only atipdlxx and it must be located in syswow64 folder

12. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    It looks like I was late with my edit. I'll remove the 64 file and leave the xx file only in the syswow64 folder and try again. Thank you.

Edit: Well, I put the xx file into just syswow64 and restarted and still nothing. It seems I'm doing something wrong.

I extracted the file which ended in .dl_ from Catalyst 12.1 and renamed it .dll, am I using the wrong file?

13. Unwinder

.dl_ is a compressed file, you cannot just rename it to .dll

14. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
  15. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I only have that file in the AB install folder but it worked and re-enabled overclocking for me....

16. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    Thanks for the info guys. I followed the instructions and it still wouldn't detect it, but I was certain I followed the instructions exactly so I reinstalled AB then restarted and now it works. So in other words I was probably doing something wrong again. At least I got it working, thanks again.

Edit: Aaaand now it seems it's not working. :bang: I'm too tired for this, I'll figure it out tomorrow.

17. Elmojo

Elmojo Member

GPU:
    XFX 7970, eVGA GTX 480
    Don't feel bad, I'm fighting the same (losing) battle.
    If you are only trying to get clock and mem control back, I was able to get that with Unofficial OC mode 2, by editing the cfg.
    If you are (like me) trying to get voltage control, then good luck.
    I'm struggling with that in another thread, and so far we have made zero progress.
    I really just want to roll back to a previous driver, but cannot for the life of me get that to work, even with ATIMAN.

18. Unwinder

Missing driver components have zero relation to voltage control. Before following the threads at least try to understand what are you doing.

19. Elmojo

Elmojo Member

GPU:
    XFX 7970, eVGA GTX 480
    I would love to understand the issue, would you care to explain it?
    Those of us who don't breath code don't have any way of knowing what does or does not affect voltage control.
    I (we) assume that if something isn't working, and the author of the software knows a fix, that he might share it.
    Barring that, others who have claimed to get it working seem to know the solution, so I (we) follow those instructions.
    Please don't berate the community that appreciates your work, just because we don't understand the underlying issues.
    I totally get that it gets tedious to explain the same things to people over and over, so maybe a set of FAQs in the OP would be helpful.
    As issues are raised and resolved, you could add those items to the first post.
    Then, when someone asks a question, and you know it's been covered, you can just direct them to the first post.
    All I ask is for a little patience. I know you're fond of telling people to search, and that's good advice, but sometimes forums search tools aren't the most helpful, and many people (myself included) have a hard time even knowing what exactly to search FOR. For example, when I was first researching this issue, I did searches on multiple forums for "7970 voltage unlock" and "7970 cannot control voltage". I got lots of hits, but they were all people having similar issues to myself. If I had found just one clear answer (that actually worked), I would certainly never have bothered to jump into this post and add my confusion to the mix.
    Please don't think I don't appreciate the massive amount of work I'm sure you've put into this software. It's pretty amazing that it works at all, and I know AMD is doing everything they can to rape you over a barrel and make it difficult to code for their drivers.
    Cheers!
    Elmojo

20. Unwinder

No, sorry, its not XFX support place. Get a reference design card or MSI card.
    And as for FAQs related to unofficial overclocking and so on, happily 79xx and crappy AMD drivers are passed step now, I'm currently focused on Keplers and won't waste time on AMD issues anymore.