MSI AB / RTSS development news thread

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Unwinder, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

While MSI are thinking if we actually need async fan control implemented for RTX 20x0, I'm thinking about GUI concept for it. I'm trying to find a balance between adding new functionality for async fan control capable cards and at the same time keeping the skins unchanged for those who don't have a card with async controllable fans. So, initial concept art for this possible future feature looks like that:

[​IMG]

Raffster likes this.
  2. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX980 GAMING 1531mhz
    I have the latest.

3. Unwinder

Latest one (7.2.2) works fine with FC5 here. But the previous one (7.2.1) may be me seen as unsigned on some PCs (resulting in blocking OSD by anticheat systems).

4. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    That looks good IMO, will this link the two fans or also have separate fan curves for each one.
    OT, Didn't MSI bring async fan feature with 980/1080 versions?

5. Unwinder

That's just possible GUI concept art for the feature that is even not in development yet. So it is way too early to say how exactly will it work.

MSI introduced GPUs with async fan control back in 2013 with GTX 980 GAMING 4G series. Yes, that's exactly what EVGA "invented" and patented a few years later with their 10x0 iCX series. However, such implementations used third party/proprietary fan controller, which was invisible to NVAPI and needed to be accessed and programmed at low-level only, which was really bad idea from both compatibility and reliability point of view. So such implementation was never (and will never be) supported by MSI AB.
    Things changed with RTX series cards announce, 2 independent fans are now assumed by NVIDIA reference design, natively supported by official NVIDIA API and can be programmed asynchronically in safe and unified way.

6. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX980 GAMING 1531mhz
    7.2.2 works, thanks!

7. jage

jage Guest

GPU:
    1080ti
    RTSS and scanline sync is the bomb, thank you so much for these. It really allows me to enjoy games on the next level :) It even works under Windows XP (XP is good for EAX), how cool is that!

I have a question that I hope I can write in this thread (please correct me if there is a better place). I cant seem get SLS to work on Quake 3 Arena, SLS does not even cap the FPS in any way there, its basically not doing anything. RTSS FRL works fine. Setup is Win8.1+4690k+1080ti+RTSS722. Is there perhaps some limitation with older games/APIs that I am unaware of?

Few more things that I noticed, but not really asking for answer, just something FYI:

- SLS with DSR always shows a tearline and its hard to position it to the edges let alone completely hide it.
    - I had some issues with SLS+DSR at RR over 144Hz, was weeks ago so I dont remember what the symptoms were, probably cutting the RR in half which can often be hotfixed by ALT+TABing (or similar) several times but I had difficulties with any RR higher than 144Hz, just felt like there was some hardcoded limit or something at 144, dunno, like I said I dont remember it anymore but thought I would at least mention that 144Hz+ was being fishy with SLS+DSR (I think!). SLS without DSR works just fine over 144Hz.
    - FRL has a max value of 300, I think its possible to change it in config files but I would recommend simply 999 as a default ceiling (from a user perspective, I am unaware of any potential issues this could bring)

Thanks again!

cookieboyeli likes this.
  8. Szaby59

Szaby59 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega56
    Hi. After the latest game update - SW Battlefront 2 is crashing on loading screens if RTSS's frame limiter feature is enabled - no error message, just quits to the desktop.

I assume it has something to do with the issue that the game can reach pretty high FPS on loading screens and no other tool was able to limit the framerates here (AMD's Chill or FRTC will limit it in-game but their limit won't work on the loading screens) only RTSS was able to consistently apply a framerate limit.

I used them together for months but the last February patch broke something. If I disable the framerate limit, the game will go without crashes.

I use these settings: https://i.imgur.com/QFYEkhY.png

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  9. Unwinder

I do not own SW Battlefront 2 and don't plan to buy it just to see that everything is possibly working fine and the next issue is on user side, sorry.

10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    the march updates for many frostbite titles are very unstable in d3d12 renderer, its probably not rtss at fault but just exposing an issue in the client.

11. Unwinder

There is 80% discount for SW Battlefront 2 in Origin now, so it is rather cheap to purchase and I decided to give it a try. As expected, I cannot reproduce a problem with or without framerate limiter active on my primary rig with RTX 2080. At least it was not a full price unnecessary purchase, heh.

Astyanax likes this.
  12. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    @Unwinder I can't believe MSI doesn't have some kind of system in place that can set you up with games for testing purposes...

BuildeR2 likes this.
  13. Unwinder

RTSS is not native MSI product, I feel bad asking them to assist in purchasing games for testing. RTSS development lives its own life.

toyo and HARDRESET like this.
  14. Szaby59

Szaby59 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega56
    Could be an issue with AMD's Radeon overlay + RTSS then ? If you tell me what you need I can reproduce it "any" time - it won't crash immediately, takes a few matches/loading screens but it will crash sooner or later.
    Would crashdump files made by the game help ?
    BTW. I play in DX11, DX12 in battlefront is broken...

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  15. Unwinder

Sorry, too much time already wasted on it. I do not plan to return to this issue again and do the same on AMD side. And please no need to use this thread for general troubleshooting.

16. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    As a fairly simple suggestion If you want to self-test open the task manager and shut down AMD Radeon Desktop Overlay (AMDOW.exe) and Radeon Settings Host Service (AMDRSServ.exe) these two come standard in the driver install (I just rename them because I don't want or need the overlay stuff and it reduces potential conflicts having less stuff injecting into everything.) also if installed shut down the AMD DVR service. (This is optional after installing the main driver.)

(Also don't blindly just rename these without testing and of course if you use AMD's overlays then you need them as well.)

Then shut down Radeon Settings (CNext.exe) itself, once you right click and bring it back up from the context menu it'll also re-activate the overlay services so no need to worry about these.
    Don't pop off the two other AMD services these are used by the driver and then there's a audio related task you can also leave on.

This way you can try if it's AMD's overlay and software injection that is causing stability issues or not, seeing how it works for Unwinder with a NVIDIA GPU from the above post the fault is either here with AMD and their forced overlay since Adrenaline 2018 I think is where it started these two tasks or third party of which there's too many to list.
    (Audio? Yeah they inject such as Asus or Creative, Input? Same here and sometimes really badly such as Razer, Logitech Setpoint, MSI Nahimic or Corsair CUE/iCUE and more.)

EDIT: And then there's Windows 10 itself and changes between builds, this is way above my knowledge level however. :)

EDIT: Hmm but DX12 should be problematic one not DX11 thinking about it some more that's interesting though it could very well be a similar problem but that's also news to me seeing D3D11 and Frostbite problems with RTSS appearing though admittedly a lot of reports recently are with Battlefield 5 and not Battlefront 2 from a while back.

Curious.

EDIT: And yeah ideally you'd just open Catalyst Settings and toggle off Radeon Overlay but nope that doesn't do it, have to turn off the services via alternate means for whatever reason instead.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  17. Unwinder

The amount of "problem reports" related to RTSS, which I'm forced to comment/investigate daily since 4.6.0 launch, is the thing that making me change my priorities and stop developing new RTSS functionality that rapidly. Each new public release gives nothing but headache, absolutely huge disappointment and leaves understanding that I just wasted a few month of life on something useless, that's not the type of hobby I need so guess I need to take a break from that project.

18. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Opt-in logging for running processes could help but yeah the landscape on Windows PC and third party program compatibility can't be easy to try and work with as a software developer, game specific issues is just one part of the whole and there's so much else including the now rapid deployment of new OS builds including beta(at best.) test builds which logging the OS build or version used might also be a idea if you're going to investigate problem reports.

I can't even start to begin the issues you would then pile on with driver releases and AMD and NVIDIA doing things differently and then AMD's recent additions and changes. (ShadowPlay for NVIDIA and Ansel/FreeSync are all optional in comparison.) plus some of these programs and drivers just aren't very fair with other injectors or software which range from well there's that bug in Ubisoft's client I guess it's still there and Steam has it's own overlay and related issues and just so much more.

Trying to pick up reported games and test the issues on your own end can't be very economical either especially long term and with refund for digital purchases being either a pain or a convoluted process to get through plus if it works then what else can be done.

Adding logging also has the whole privacy aspect to think over and with low-level API's and games and other software implementing and using these there's probably a even greater range of possible problems and errors either with overall compatibility or stability and so on.

Windows Defender even is also adding and doing more things now by default, can't imagine that playing nice with everything and depending on how the program is responding that might also cause a issue and then you have the overly common suggestion of "run as admin" which can harm things much as it can help in a few cases. It's not like I can give a solution other than some thoughts and opinions but software going more popular spreading to sites like Major Geeks and others and being picked up by more and more users for both Afterburner and RTSS will also mean the problem reports both here and elsewhere pile up.

EDIT: That or a hands-off approach using the software as-is with no guarantees or promises of support but well then you get other comments on discussion forums and similar elsewhere which can be problematic or of that sort of nature. Hostile or unfriendly or what to call them and that can also be problematic with development as certain bits might be taken as fact.

19. Haldi

Haldi Master Guru

GPU:
    R9-290 CF
    Ahh....

Version 7.2.2
     Changed digital signature to fix issues with revoked StarCom code signing certificate on some systems. RivaTuner Statistics Server is temporarily signed by MSI GlobalSign digital signature
     Font size in the profiles list is now scaled properly when adjusting skin scaling rati

20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    ah, a logging system like Special K uses would be good.