MSI AB / RTSS development news thread

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Unwinder, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

I've received interesting problem report from AMD GPU user with weird looking V/F curve inside the editor window:

After short investigation it looks like it is caused by weird default fused voltages on this card (one P-State with lower clocks has abnormally high fused voltage, which is higher than the next voltages). Such voltage table (voltages, which do not increase monotonically with P-State index and frequency) will result in VF curve looking this way in the current version. I'll add workaround for such voltage tables in the next beta.

cookieboyeli likes this.
  2. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060 TUF
    I'm not sure I understood the changelog entry for Polaris GPU usage correctly. Is it supposed to be reliable now?
    Because just like the GPU usage reported by AMD's own overlay, Afterburner shows extremely jumpy values when there is constant partial load (unless the option to capture D3D usage is set). e.g. I play a video in mpv and the values constantly jump between 0 and 100%, whereas D3D usage shows constant ~60%. GPU is RX 580 with WDDM 2.5 driver.
    I also tried both user- and kernel mode low level driver setting, it makes no difference.

Funny thing is that the GPU usage reported by AMD's Linux kernel driver shows exactly the same behavior. There is a tool called radeontop, which provides reliable values:
    https://github.com/clbr/radeontop

It's not really a dealbreaker, but D3D GPU usage can't capture OpenCL and Vulkan Async Compute load.

3. Unwinder

Of course no. It cannot magically become reliable if hardware sensor itself is reporting it that “jumpy” way. That’s exactly why alternate unified GPU usage monitoring mode is provided. And alternate unified GPU usage monitoring option is only supposed to work if you’re under both WDDM 2.5 driver AND OS (i.e. if you have October Update installed).

4. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060 TUF
    New fan API used in Afterburner unfortunately seems to collide with Wattman. When a custom fan curve is used in Afterburner, I need to go into Wattman and reload my profile (in which the Wattman fan curve is of course set to auto and ZeroFan enabled). Else the driver takes over with the card's default curve when certain temperature thresholds are exceeded. When I restart Windows then, the fans even don't spin down anymore at the login screen.
    With Adrenalin 2019 19.1.1 and Afterburner 4.6 beta 10 this wasn't the case. With that configuration I only had to re-enable custom fan curve in Afterburner after changing something unrelated to fan control in Wattman. But apart from that, it worked flawlessly (unlike with 18.12.2 driver).

That is with a MSI RX 580 Armor.

I suppose Wattman wouldn't interfere if it was left in "untouched" (non-warranty warning not accepted) mode, but I'd like to lock to higher VRAM pstates and also adjust memory controller voltage.

5. Unwinder

Of course it will collide if you try to control ONE shared resource (fan control setting) with two software applicatiins simultaneously, I fail to understand ANY logic in this “bugreprt”, sorry.

6. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060 TUF
    If it's set to "auto" in Wattman, expectation is that it can still be overridden by 3rd party tools (please, don't be silly...). At least that was the case before Adrenalin 2019.
    Well, your reply intensifies my impression that this has changed for good.

7. Unwinder

We’re wasting the time starting from initial question about GPU usage and ending by this fan control discussion, sorry. Please, don’t be silly too, such discussions leave nothing but HUGE wish to stop wasting time on such dialogs after each new version.

8. gedo

gedo Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 570 4GB
    I seem to have a problem with AB 4.6.0 Beta 11: It crashes a few seconds after I start it.

EDIT: Windows event viewer lists various DLLs as the culprits on different crashes. At least ntdll.dll and mfc90.dll.

Having installed Beta 11, even reverting to Beta 10 doesn't fix the problem - it crashes similarly. Note that before I ever tried Beta 11, Beta 10 worked normally.

What does fix it is, while having Beta 10 installed, using Windows system restore to go back to a restore point before I first installed Beta 11 (when I was using Beta 10). After that, Beta 10 works normally.

(I also tried using system restore while having Beta 11 installed, but in that case I get the error "Some of MSI Afterburner components are expired, missing or corrupted!" when trying to launch AB Beta 11. EDIT: And I can't get Beta 10 to work before doing another restore.)

EDIT: I'm on Windows 10 October 2018 Update (1809) and have been since November 2018.

Just to assure you I didn't do the most obvious stupid thing, my procedure for updating/reverting AB is:
    1. reboot (only needed if AB crashed; some RTSS components will still be in use and RTSS will refuse to uninstall);
    2. uninstall AB+RTSS;
    3. reboot;
    4. install AB+RTSS;
    5. reboot;
    6. test.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  9. Unwinder

More details are needed with exact crash module and offset.

10. gedo

gedo Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 570 4GB
    Here are the two last crashes (with different DLLs):
    EDIT: Just realized they are only 1 second apart, so are the from the same crash...

Code:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Application Error" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>100</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2019-01-23T21:41:07.156069700Z" />
        <EventRecordID>15364</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>(REDACTED)</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>MSIAfterburner.exe</Data>
        <Data>4.6.0.14218</Data>
        <Data>5c223f79</Data>
        <Data>mfc90.dll</Data>
        <Data>9.0.30729.6161</Data>
        <Data>4dad06e0</Data>
        <Data>c0000005</Data>
        <Data>0020eb78</Data><!-- OFFSET -->
        <Data>256c</Data>
        <Data>01d4b3645774ba86</Data>
        <Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner\MSIAfterburner.exe</Data>
        <Data>C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.vc90.mfc_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729.6161_none_4bf7e3e2bf9ada4c\mfc90.dll</Data>
        <Data>49330a20-2229-4033-a1f8-54bfef772f7e</Data>
        <Data />
        <Data />
      </EventData>
    </Event>

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Application Error" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>100</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2019-01-23T21:41:08.867523900Z" />
        <EventRecordID>15366</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>(REDACTED)</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>MSIAfterburner.exe</Data>
        <Data>4.6.0.14218</Data>
        <Data>5c223f79</Data>
        <Data>ntdll.dll</Data>
        <Data>10.0.17763.292</Data>
        <Data>f3450dbf</Data>
        <Data>c0150010</Data>
        <Data>000906e1</Data><!-- OFFSET -->
        <Data>256c</Data>
        <Data>01d4b3645774ba86</Data>
        <Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner\MSIAfterburner.exe</Data>
        <Data>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll</Data>
        <Data>e0e44d4e-faaa-4eb6-bbb2-b1022368c07c</Data>
        <Data />
        <Data />
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019

11. Unwinder

I’m afraid I cannot extract anything useful from it and can only recommend to try to perform full removal and clean reinstall of VC 2008 runtimes.

12. gedo

gedo Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 570 4GB
    Reinstallation of VC 2008 runtimes didn't help. I'm starting to see a Windows reinstall in my future.

13. Unwinder

Cannot offer anythin else, sorry. If previous beta stopped working as well, system components are corrupted.

14. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    i'm about to get my hands on a 2080ti Lightning Z , will AB have voltage slider for the memory ?!

15. Unwinder

Yes, core, memory and 2 additional auxiliary voltages (pexvdd and 1v8). Also direct voltage control for core (beyond NV limits) is available with LN2 BIOS for extended MSI voltage control mode.

kx11 likes this.

16. freshnfruity

freshnfruity New Member

GPU:
    iGPU / AMD 6870
    Hello Unwinder,
    is there any news on this?

17. Unwinder

It works fine here. And there are way more priority tasks, sorry.

freshnfruity likes this.
  18. gedo

gedo Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 570 4GB
    BTW, turns out my issue was PEBCAK - Beta 11 and 10 work fine now. I'm too embarrassed to divulge details.

Andy_K, eGGroLLiO and toyo like this.
  19. Unwinder

Congrats. ;)

eGGroLLiO likes this.
  20. Unwinder

We're getting closer and closer to final 4.6.0 release. New beta (4.6.0 beta 12 build 14315) is uploading, changes list includes:

- Fixed problem with incorrect V/F curve rendering on some AMD GPUs with abnormal voltage tables (where voltages were not monotonically increasing with P-State index)
    - Visible voltage / frequency range in V/F curve editor window on AMD GPUs is now extended to fit minimum and maximum P-State voltages and frequencies
    - Added support for some future NVIDIA Turing GPUs
    - Now “Mark minimum” and “Mark maximum” commands are available in the context menu of monitoring window even when a fragment of history is not selected. In this case the commands result in setting tracking marker in a global extremum position. You may still use <Shift> key and mouse cursor to select a fragment of history then use the context menu to set tracker marker in local extremum position
    - Now you may press <F11> key in monitoring window to capture print friendly screenshot of hardware monitoring history graphs. The screenshot includes MSI Afterburner watermark by default, you may customize it by replacing overlay.png file located in .\Graphics folder. This feature can be useful for hardware reviewers
    - Now you may hold <Del> key then click unwanted graphs in hardware monitoring history viewer mode to hide them. This feature can be useful before capturing print friendly screenshot, if you want to exclude unnecessary graphs from it

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019