MSI AB / RTSS development news thread

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Unwinder, Feb 20, 2017.

1. freshnfruity

freshnfruity New Member

GPU:
    iGPU / AMD 6870
    Thank you so much for the right hint, I finally managed it. :)
    I also tested Vector 3D again after a fresh installation. You were right too, it's also shown up on screen...not sure what went wrong here.
    Thanks again for your help and patience!

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

Summarizing what I said before, even if you got V2D unlocked - avoid using it when the rest modes work. It is much slower than 3D modes (especially on AMD hw with bad 2D acceleration implementation).

freshnfruity likes this.
  3. Unwinder

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I can name a few cases where Vector3D functions but Raster3D crashes or behaves strangely..

Aquamark3 - Crashes on the benchmark load screen when resolution changes.
    NWN/NWMain.exe - Can't remember specifically, probably just corrupting the frame counter.
    SWKotor - Similar to above
    Warhammer - Dawn of war II - Hangs changing resolution / mission start screen
    Warcraft 3 w/opengl renderer - black screen when changing the aspect ratio or resolution escaping the countdown prompt brings video back.

now all of these are opengl (and some just incredibly old) , and the quality of implementation of an opengl renderer in the AAA biz is probably of lower quality than the indie/opensource scene since i've not had to change method on anything emulator wise.

5. Unwinder

That's the reason why Vector3D exists. Both use rather similar pipeline reconfiguration but vector 3D uses geometry based font (each symbol is a combination of solid filled rectangles) and raster 3D use texture based one (each symbol is a textured quad). So raster 3D additionally needs to create and manage additional font texture, which can result in compatibility with some engines.
    Due to its nature raster 3D is also the fastest one (just one quad or 2 triangles per each displayed symbol), for vector 3D each symbol can consist of a few dozens triangles (and the number doubles if you enable shadow). But that's absolute values, it is really hard to feel difference in performance between those two modes.

6. fat4l

fat4l Member

GPU:
    Asus Ares 3 8GB
    Oh boy I'm looking forward to it ;) Let us know here in the thread please once its done

7. freshnfruity

freshnfruity New Member

GPU:
    iGPU / AMD 6870
    Hi Unwinder,

strangely enough Vector 3D doesn't work now, it doesn't show anything in the game F.E.A.R., only Vector 2D and Raster 3D work. But before, it worked once when i answered above...
    Can you please test this, you said you have F.E.A.R. (Combat)?
    Thank you very much.

All right, I got it - thanks for explaining. :)

8. jpotts

jpotts Member

GPU:
    Question for those more experienced GPU overclockers. I ran the OC Scanner on my 1070 with everything reset, and the result in Afterburner was "Curve" with no memory overclock. From what I've read in the past, the mem overclock is where we'll see the most gains.

My question is, should I be OC'ing the mem and maxing the Power Limit and Core Voltage like I had in the past, THEN running OC Scanner? I'm assuming OC Scanner will then overclock the Core with the mem already overclocked, netting an overclocking result that suits both Core and Mem. Would this be the correct approach?

Thanks!

EDIT: In case it's relevant, my previous custom OC was:

Core - +50
    Mem - +410
    Voltage - +100
    Power Limit - 126

Custom Fan Profile to give it more RPM ~60+ Celcius

9. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX AMD Vanguard

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6800XT
    Thanks! completely missed that [...] button :rolleyes::)

10. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    Memory must be overclocked manually, curve is for core only.

Yes, you should apply your memory clock, voltage and power limit before running the scanner as those may affect the result.

bigcid1 likes this.

11. jpotts

jpotts Member

GPU:
    Thanks Asi!

One last question, is there any way to view the curve? It would be useful to know the relation between the voltage curve and core clock. From past experience, I couldn't really go too high with my core clock at max load, and just want to be doubly sure I'm not about to damage my GPU.

12. Unwinder

Yep, will test it in nearest few days.

freshnfruity likes this.
  13. Unwinder

All

I've mentioned it in different thread and think that it is worth mentioning here as well. OC scanner has small but useful undocumented feature: it is internally precaching the last successful scanning result, so you may manually edit overclocked curve, set fixed offset, reset overclocking etc, but can quickly restore scanner's curve anytime without performing full 20+ minute scanning loop. To do that just click "Scan" button in OC scanner while holding <Ctrl> on keyboard. It will restore your last successful scanning result in split second instead of performing full scan.

Andy_K, cookieboyeli, bigcid1 and 4 others like this.
  14. HARDRESET

HARDRESET Master Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti / 290X CFX
    Great feature ,thanks

15. jpotts

jpotts Member

GPU:
    Not sure how great a result this is, but this is it after running it on my 1070 Gaming X
    [​IMG]

16. toyo

toyo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    I've got to try and test the scan on my 1070ti with maxed PL and voltage, and it seems the scanner is pretty conservative for this. I know for a fact the card can do 2050-2075MHz rock stable, but the scanner's top point is like 1999MHz for the max 1.093V.

Code:
    18:06:48   Memory clock    +0MHz
    18:06:48   Overvoltage    100%
    18:06:48   Power limit    120%
    18:06:48   Thermal limit    92 °C
    18:06:48   Fan speed 1    Auto
    18:06:48 Start scanning, please wait a few minutes
    18:06:49 Scanning point 1 of 4
    18:17:04 Scanning point 2 of 4
    18:22:44 Scanning point 3 of 4
    18:27:12 Scanning point 4 of 4
    18:30:02 Scan succeeded, average overclock is 148MHz
    18:30:02 Dominant limiters
    18:30:02   Power
    18:30:02   No load
    The previous scan, at full stock/default settings resulted in a 146MHz average OC, with +75MHz at the max 1.062V possible at stock.
    This scan was a 148MHz average OC, with a +87MHz at BOTH the stock max 1.062V, and at 1.093V. So the OC Scanner couldn't do anything with the additional voltage.

This could mean that either the 120% PL max for my card is too conservative for 1.093V to help, or that the OC Scanner is not that good yet at dealing with the custom PL/voltage.

Maybe you could try running it at default settings see what it gets you. Your card also seems factory OC so I guess the OC scanner won't be able to add a lot of top of an already existing decent OC.

17. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    The curve editor will show exactly the steps and what voltage corresponds to what frequency.

Plus as of the latest beta you can see the OC Scanner changes on the fly.

18. cookieboyeli

cookieboyeli Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 @2126
    Yea I've had similar results, I can do 2126-2139 on my 1070 but the scan result was below 2000 at 1.093v

toyo likes this.
  19. toyo

toyo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    Was it also Power limited? If yes that could simply say that the scanner is smart enough to notice that above a specific voltage+frequency combo, you will always reach PL, and it stop bothering trying to further raise the core. Considering the lack of frequency gain from 1.063 to 1.093 in my case it might be the case.

The potential problem with this is that not all games put full loads on the GPU, also that some games are typically mildly CPU bound, for example AC Origins/Odyssey in some cases, so the GPU utilization doesn't go to always to max, and the PL is reached somewhat rarely. But the PLs clearly are what's hurting many Pascal cards.

20. ToastGrande

ToastGrande Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    The scanner may account for the fluctuating frequency/voltage curve based on temperature, meaning what looks conservative may in fact be the most stable over a range of temperatures.

When in the Frequency/voltage window, you can hold down <alt> and then drag the entire curve up/down. It's a fast way to up the offset across the board while preserving the curve as determined by the Nvidia scanner.

cookieboyeli and toyo like this.