MSI AB / RTSS development news thread

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Unwinder, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Small note for RTX reviewers. I forgot to reflect small useful feature of OC Scanner in the release notes:

After successful scanning MSI OC Scanner is precaching the last overclocked V/F curve in a file named VEN_xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.oc in the application folder (.\Bundle\OCScannner). So even if you tried to reset clocks to defaults of manually overclocked GPU after that, you may still quickly restore the last autooverclocked profile from OC Scanner application without performing full scanning again. To do it just hold <Ctrl> when clicking "Scan" button and it will set the last successful overclocked curve instead of performing full scanning session.

2. Unwinder

And one more note for reviewers. Release notes declares the following improvements for GPU boost control on RTX cards:

"Advanced GPU Boost control for NVIDIA GeForce RTX 20x0 series graphics cards. Extended voltage/frequency curve editor on GeForce RTX 20x0 family graphics cards allows you to tune additional piecewise power/frequency floor and temperature/frequency floor curves. Control points on those new curves allow you to control GPU Boost power and thermal throttling algorithms more precisely than traditional power limit and thermal limit sliders"

However, only temperature/frequency curve control is currently enabled in NVIDIA drivers. So it is normal and expected too see no controls for power/frequency curve editing now, it will become unlocked with future driver updates.

3. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    I was reading a review of founders 2080ti that they added a power balance features, so out of the 3 input power lines (2 8pin and MB slot) that it will power balance between each now so as to not max out on one and also I think they are power balance the phases too, to keep at high efficiency.
    So maybe they need time to get these features squared away in the driver.

Edit: Looking back at your pic of 20xx I see now the power slider looks maxed out at 100%, is the simple power slider supported in 20x0 or is this an issue also of early drivers too?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  4. Unwinder

I don’t know for sure what will be the maximum allowed power limit for retail 2080 cards, it can be increased maximum to 102% from default 100% on my sample. But it can be limitation of pre-production BIOS.

5. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Now that reviews are out there.
    Guru3d and others I saw 124% for 2080 and 123% on 2080ti on founders edition.

I don't know on 3rd party cards.

Edit: MSI 2080ti Gaming X was 110%.

But we don't know the bios numbers so #% is not a good comparison.

6. eGGroLLiO

eGGroLLiO Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080ti FTW3
    Unwinder,
    Does this mean I can use Afterburner with my EVGA 1080ti ICX card now and have dual fan control?

7. Unwinder

I’m afraid no. Currently NV supports independent dual fan control API on RTX series cards only and only for reference fan control implementation. iCX is not a reference fan controller so the chances to see it supported from NV side and futhermore fol the previous card families are close to zero.

8. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    I've had good luck in the last week or so using EVGA Precision XOC in a very neutered state, basically everything unchecked and turned off besides fan control and LED control. Then I do everything else with MSIAB. I haven't noticed crashing or performance loss compared to just using MSIAB.

9. eGGroLLiO

eGGroLLiO Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080ti FTW3
    Thanks for the reply Unwinder.

10. eGGroLLiO

eGGroLLiO Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080ti FTW3
    Precision XOC unloads randomly and leaves my fans at 0 which is extremely dangerous. I won't be "testing" EVGA garbage software anymore. If you look at the forums over at EVGA you will note large numbers of users with issues. And no I don't have any hope that the new version will be any better. For now I will stick with Asus little fan controller since it works perfectly. I'd love to use Afterburner, but I totally understand Unwinder's position on it. Basically, I purchased the wrong card and I won't make that mistake again. I would encourage everyone to look to other cardmakers rather than EVGA.

blitzo likes this.

11. PcMrRe88

PcMrRe88 Active Member

GPU:
    1080ti
    for months I have the problem that disappears the fan adjustment on my 1080ti! if I do not notice I launch a game and the gpu reaches 90 degrees because the fans remain at 25%!
    I'm afraid it's a bug due to the fact that the pc goes on standby as I leave it on and does nothing for many hours a day. I'm forced to restart the pc and then come back as before!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. PcMrRe88

PcMrRe88 Active Member

GPU:
    1080ti
    i have the same problem with msi afterburner on my 1080ti !

13. Unwinder

Please avoid posting user coniguration related issues in development thread. It is intended for polishing and testing new functionality only.

14. PcMrRe88

PcMrRe88 Active Member

GPU:
    1080ti
    sorry can you explain the reason of my problem ?

15. CaptaPraelium

CaptaPraelium Guest

GPU:
    Kernel mode.
    Make a new thread, as directed:

16. Shaq34

Shaq34 Guest

GPU:
    Carrizo
    Is the Wolf2 / FH3 fcat gap related to forcible synchronization of compute and graphics queues at frame presentation stage with 3rd party OSD display?

17. Unwinder

Actively pushing the same question over and over again in different places doesn’t work in positive way. It acheives quite opposite effect, sorry.

18. Shaq34

Shaq34 Guest

GPU:
    Carrizo
    I absolutely understand. But the queue sync topic was new to me and I'm still intrigued by the problem. For me the the question mark is still alive.

19. Unwinder

A few posts above I explained specifics of running NVIDIA Scanner in "Test" mode on RTX series graphics cards and mentioned that result of testing is a system stability confidence level in %, where 0% is absolutely unstable system and 100% is absolutely stable system. I also mentioned that the maximum confidence level was 90% on all systems we tried and assumed that it was a precaution from NV side. Just got a confirmation from NVIDIA, 100% is indeed never reported and 90% is the maximum you can see. So no need to worry if you test stock clocks and get 90% stability confidence level. It is absolutely normal.

Deleted member 255716 likes this.
  20. Hi! Could you please do a little guide for how to use the oc scanner of new release of AB? Next week I will get a brand new 2080 ti and I've not understood how to make the overclock of the card with this method.

Thanks in advance for your time