MSI AB / RTSS development news thread

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Unwinder, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

That's an example of new extended voltage/frequency curve editor for Turing. It is captured on emulator, so don't treat it as RTX 20x0 clocks/temperatures and so on. There will be new power/frequency and temperature/frequency curves tabs for new cards inside the editor window:

[​IMG]

fantaskarsef likes this.
  2. Unwinder

Vertical yellow dotted line on temperature/frequency curve is a temperature limit. On current hardware it is the only editable thing, so you're just adjusting temperature point, above which GPU starts capping clocks. For Turing you'll be able to define how exactly the clock is capped above thermal limit. And the same for power.

3. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    Maybe that is why we are seeing large coolers for 3rd party cards, they look pretty beefy.

So if I understand, if a card has no problems keeping say temps at 70C and below it more or less acts like older HW, steady clocks?
    I wonder how they will handle power limit if they are having dynamic voltage values, hopefully, the limit will have some headroom.
    I guess we will see soon enough or when cards get released with new drivers.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
  4. Unwinder

No, temperature is not the only factor defining resulting clock for GPU Boost 3.0. In also depends on the power and GPU usage.

5. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    You posted to fast :), I edited my comments.

6. gatecrasher

gatecrasher Member

GPU:
    8GB GTX 1070
    It's a minor issue, but disabling the "display integer framerate" option in RTSS seems to work inconsistently for me.
    I deleted all of my profiles and immediately after doing this, disabling the option worked as expected.
    After creating new profiles in Afterburner/RTSS and restarting the computer, RTSS is stuck displaying integer framerates again. The option does nothing.

EDIT: Of course I figured it out immediately after posting despite spending a long time testing first.
    This is caused by setting an alarm in Afterburner. Removing the alarm fixes the framerate display.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  7. Unwinder

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/rtss-6-7-0-beta-1.412822/page-18#post-5429350

smut likes this.
  8. smut

smut Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 960 SuperSC
    @Unwinder I don't think it's said enough but THANK YOU for your hard work over many many years. I have used Rivatuner and now Afterburner for like 10 years at least now! Appreciate your effort sir.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
    blitzo, cookieboyeli, basco and 6 others like this.
  9. Unwinder

Thanks! ;)

smut and eGGroLLiO like this.
  10. Unwinder

Dear forum visitors,

It is not fun to beat a dead horse, but unfortunatley I’m forced to comment the same thing again. One more user discovered that enabling RTSS overlay in DOOM in Vulkan is hurting performance on AMD hardware and created “revelatory” video about it. Now it is spreading like a virus in different AMD fan communities again, where users adding their own conspiracy theories to it, claiming that it is aimed to make NVIDIA hardware look better in reviews, claiming that overlay is hurting performance in all other AMD game benchmarks and similar nonsense.

I’d like to remind you that it was explicitly declared that overlay will degrade performance on AMD cards in DOOM under Vulkan on the very first day when we provided Vulkan OSD support for DOOM on AMD hardware:

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/msi-afterburner-4-3-0-final-is-released.410628/page-6#post-5387248

Performance drop in this case is entirely specific to Vulkan renderer implementation of DOOM 3D engine. When async compute is enabled, the game is presenting frames from compute queue on AMD hardware. Displaying third-party OSD at frame presentation stage with such 3D engine implementation requires forcible synchronization of compute and graphics queues. That’s the only reason of performance drop.

For experienced users also we provide OSD performance profiler, allowing you to see how much CPU and GPU time is taken by OSD rendering on each stage:

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/rtss-6-7-0-beta-1.412822/page-60#post-5550748

Be smart, be able to analyze info. Stay tuned!

Haldi, AlleyViper, blitzo and 5 others like this.

11. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    With 488 views right now, I'd rather say nobody watched it :p

Also, the video seems rather fair to me. It explicitly says to not use Afterburner for benchmarking in Doom 4 and Wolfenstein 2. Which to me seems to be the same message you're trying to put out there.

12. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    Hello, new user reporting in!

First off, thank you very much, Unwinder! Your RTSS tool made my gaming a lot smoother and less laggy! Secondly, I have an observation regarding he new scanline sync in the latest RTSS beta (no. 4, I believe). I've been testing it the past few evenings and have observed something that has not been mentioned here (yet). When using this method, some games start dipping periodically from 60 to about 58 fps for a split second, creating this "hitching" effect when moving around. What's more interesting is that, according to RTSS, this happens even if everything is still (as in I'm not moving around at all in game). I've tested this in RAGE (opengl - IdTech5), Grim Dawn (dx9, I believe), Wolfenstein 2009 (opengl - IdTech4) and Risen 3 (dx11). On the other hand, Starcraft (the new Battlenet release, has no issues at all. This is happening when using the normal "Sync scanline" method. Sync scanline x2 doesn't do this, and nothing similar happens on /2.

Is this something to look into, or is it the proverbial "nature of the beast"?
    Thanks in advance!

13. PcMrRe88

PcMrRe88 Member

GPU:
    1080ti
    news for the new version 4.06? It's already been a week since the announcement I was hoping to come out these days! thanks for the answer your software is fantastic

14. khanmein

khanmein Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    Wait for the RTX officially available for consumers & be patient.

15. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Well from the previous two posts by Unwinder he did mention a estimated release date of a week for the next build of MSI Afterburner 4.6.0 beta but yeah maybe MSI actually sent a 2080 or similar over and that can see some additional features and fixes implemented compared to working on a remote desktop environment. Would be nice to have as much as possible already readied and implemented for when the GPU launches but that's still a ways off so no imminent hurry for getting these out. :)

That and testing from users would kinda require people actually also having the hardware for when the next beta version is released if Unwinder is looking for more public feedback and info from others using these cards which can't happen until the GPU comes out in two - three weeks perhaps whenever the street date is and whenever the first store inevitably breaches it because early sales are good.

EDIT: Although I guess 4.6.0 beta and 7.2.0 beta is going to have some enhancements for current hardware too and then there's the 400 series drivers (Which kinda also need to come out first.) but I wouldn't expect NVIDIA to immediately bring over the changes to the overclocking API for older hardware like Pascal but eh maybe they can do it. :)
    Taking Boost 3.0 or what the new version will be called even further for experienced overclockers aware of the risks of pushing it higher and having the cooling and such for keeping the GPU running with the new limits in place.
    (With some reports probably coming in about GPU driver crashes and the limit is WAY over to the left and essentially no longer a factor at all, yeah I think I can see that happening too.)

16. Unwinder

Some parts of RTX related functionality are under NDA, so I’m forced to hold the release. So patience please, that doesn’t depend on me.

The1, MrBeer and JonasBeckman like this.
  17. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Makes sense, of course they would be holding details until at least the review date for the new cards and avoid any chance of leaks even if it would be built into the program itself. :)

EDIT: Hmm so then if that's so that means there's going to be little in the way of third party program support other than maybe EVGA depending on their deal with NVIDIA since they deal exclusively with NVIDIA GPU's similar to Sapphire for AMD, well regardless I guess that means two reviews then at least from Guru3D one without and one with testing the overclocking functionality a bit more in-depth though the auto tune overclock functionality sounds like it's going to be interesting to too however that works out.
    (Or maybe not, depending on restrictions there's maybe a way to use a pre-release version of Afterburner for that review instead of doing a updated take later on with overclocking results, guess it depends on what terms there are.)

Going to be fun seeing the articles for these cards once that NDA is up for reviews on them.

EDIT: But that's besides the software itself. Well for now there's nothing to do but wait for NVIDIA to lift their NDA on the new GPU's and the software such as the 400 series drivers and then a new release can be published.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  18. Tomatone

Tomatone Member Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 580 8GB
    @Unwinder Can you ask Sebastian, BattlEye, what he changed on his side because after last BE update for Arma 3 I can't use "user mode" for low-level hardware access. If I start game with BE enabled and "user mode" for low-level hardware access in MSI Afterburner, Afterburner just close himself without any message/error from BE side but RTSS still runing. With "kernel mode" I don't have this problem.

19. Unwinder

Definitively not in the nearest few weeks, sorry. I'm entirely focused on new hardware support related functionality rather than on investigating what changed in third party anticheat and why.

20. Tomatone

Tomatone Member Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 580 8GB
    OK and thanks for reply...DayZ have same problem.