MSI AB / RTSS development news thread

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Unwinder, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

Or alternately you can create your own plugin providing direct low-level support for that GPU. I'm still waiting for good low-level hardware monitoring plugins from third party devleopers for MSI AB, there were such things for old generic RT, but none of them are available for AB yet ;)

2. Unwinder

The first beta of MSI AB 4.4.3 is available for download. Please focus on testing new plugin settings related functionality.

1. >> Download

Full changes list includes the following:

MSI AB Version 4.4.3

· Minimum, average, maximum, 1% low and 0.1% low framerates are now displayed in On-Screen Display with special text formatting tags introduced by new RivaTuner Statistics Server. The tags are allowing On-Screen Display clients to display independent benchmark statistics simultaneously for multiple running 3D applications instead of displaying foreground 3D application statistics only
    · Improved built-in performance profiler. Now you may hold <Ctrl>+<Shift> buttons pressed when “Show status” option is enabled in hardware monitoring window to see additional polling statistics displayed in hardware monitoring window status area. Polling statistics includes information about the slowest polled sensor with maximum polling time, so power users can easily identify problematic sensors eating most of CPU time on each polling period (e.g. abnormally slow GPU power sensor in some versions of NVIDIA drivers)
    · Improved default MSI Cyborg White skin. Monochrome on / off states of fan speed auto button were hardly identifiable before, they are more contrast now
    · Improved monitoring plugins architecture:
    o Added new SetupSource API function allowing you to configure the plugins. This function is allowing you to customize the plugins either globally from plugin selection window (e.g. configure whole list of data sources exported by each plugin) or customize desired data source only directly from corresponding graph properties window (e.g. change network download rate units from MB/s to KB/s). SetupSource function usage is demonstrated in SDK in updated AIDA64 and PerfCounter plugins
    o Added new GetHostAppProperty API function allowing the plugins to retrieve various properties from the host application (i.e. MSI Afterburner), e.g. retrieve GUI color scheme specific to currently selected skin. GetHostAppProperty function usage is demonstrated in SDK in updated AIDA64 and PerfCounter plugins
    · Improved monitoring plugins:
    o Now the plugins store user customized and built-in default configurations in separate files, so your custom plugin settings won’t be lost on new version install
    o Added configuration GUI for AIDA64, HwInfo and PerfCounter plugins. Each plugin’s user interface is allowing you to edit the list of sensors exported by each plugin, export full list of available sensors to a text file, customize each sensor’s properties or reset plugin settings to defaults
    o Improved SMART plugin. Added airflow temperature SMART attribute support for Intel/Samsung SSDs.
    · Fixed issue in context help system, which could cause the tooltip to flicker when it was displayed below mouse cursor
    · RivaTuner Statistics Server has been upgraded to v7.1.0

RTSS Version 7.1.0

· Added On-Screen Display locking mechanism for third party On-Screen Display client applications. The mechanism is aimed to eliminate unwanted On-Screen Display flickering effect when some client application is performing risky two-stage On-Screen Display refresh while On-Screen Display is being actively refreshed by another client. Please take a note that third party On-Screen Display clients must be also updated in order to use this mechanism and get rid of flickering
    · Added new text formatting tags support for displaying minimum, average, maximum, 1% low and 0.1% low framerates in benchmark mode. The tags are allowing On-Screen Display clients to display independent benchmark statistics simultaneously for multiple running 3D applications instead of displaying foreground 3D application statistics only
    · Now it is possible to adjust frametime history graph size via RivaTuner Statistics Server properties. Please take a note that you may use positive values to specify the size in pixels or negative values to specify it in symbols
    · Now it is possible to toggle benchmark mode state from RivaTuner Statistics Server properties. However, third party benchmark client applications like MSI Afterburner are still required to toggle benchmark mode state with hotkeys during 3D application runtime and to save benchmark results to a text file
    · Now it is possible to toggle between averaged or instantaneous calculation modes for peak (i.e. minimum and maximum) framerates for benchmark mode via RivaTuner Statistics Server properties
    · Fixed issue in context help system, which could cause the tooltip to flicker when it was displayed below mouse cursor
    · Updated SDK:
    o Now RTSSSharedMemorySample sample code is demonstrating the implementation of On-Screen Display locking and flickering filter
    · Updated profiles list

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2018
    CaptaPraelium likes this.
  3. ragesaq

ragesaq Member

GPU:
    MSI Sea Hawk EK X 1070 8g
    Installed the new update last night, very nice! I now officially wish you would make a standalone monitoring plugin that I could use on servers and other things! ;)
    Haven't had a chance to play a game and check out the new framerate features, I'll check that out tonight.

The performance polling profiler 'show status' option needs to line wrap, I'm only getting what appears to be a fraction of the data that needs to be displayed.
    [​IMG]

HWiNFO:
    I checked out the new UI for hwinfo plugin setup, looks great! One bug I've noticed is that some metrics with the same name appear to overwrite each other. One example is the HDD SMART metrics from HWiNFO, see screenshot below. All of the info for the Samsung 850 EVO is overwritten in Afterburners HWiNfo integration by the data pulled from the Samsung 850 PRO. The counters do share the exact same name which is probably part of the cause of this.

[​IMG]

This also happens in some other places, like one of my motherboards fan headers was oh-so-intelligently called CPU by Asus, and instead Afterburner seeing the fan RPM value, it sees the temperature from a temp sensor called CPU. From my previous experience setting up the hwinfo.cfg, I'm able to modify the cfg settings to get the fan RPM pumped into afterburner correctly.

PerfCounter:
    The perfcounter WMI metric information UI is good but I have a few suggestions.
    1: alpha sorting the tree hierarchy list, finding PhysicalDisk and NetworkInterface among the hundreds is a tad cumbersome.
    2: When checking off some counters to add, maybe instead of hitting OK you hit an 'add' button to configure a few bits of info before dropping you back to the 'active data sources' window.
    An example of what I'm talking about is adding counters for multiple HDDs, and I know the way perfmon instruments these counters is why its happening this way.
    With perfmon when you are adding counters to look at the statistics, theres an additional window that asks you which instance (0, 1, 2, total, etc) you want to add the metric for. In order to get to this feature in AB you need to add the counter, then go and configure the properties on the counters, and maybe add them again if you have multiple HDDs or NICs. Some kind of additional UI step after selecting which counter that lets you select and name the instances for the counters you are adding would save quite a few steps and make it more obvious on how to configure/name the counters when you are adding them.

SMART:
    Setup button is greyed out, perhaps this is not implemented yet? I don't see any way to configure this.

4. ragesaq

ragesaq Member

GPU:
    Holding down ctrl+shift does show the Total and Max polling time modifier for the status window, however, since this requires holding down the keys, its difficult to screenshot. Maybe add the total+max counters into the 'show status' menu so the ctrl+shift modifier isn't required?

CaptaPraelium likes this.

5. Digika

Digika Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670
    Thanks guys!

6. Unwinder

The list of sensors in HwInfo plugin is a raw contents of HwInfo shared memory as is. I don't think that a plugin have a chance to overwrite the sensors without having such layout exported by HwInfo itself.

Agreed, root nodes of the list (i.e. performance counter objects) will be sorted alphabetically in the next version.

There will be a button for selecting instance name from the list instead of typing it in manually.

Who said that it is supposed to be clickable? Release notes tells that settings GUI is available for AIDA/HwInfo/PerfCounter plugins only. And SMART plugin simply has no user configurable settings.

The1 likes this.
  7. Unwinder

Polling profiler panel will change a few times before the release, I'm currently reworking it to make it display per-graph polling time stats and give more detailed info to power users:

[​IMG]

However, I tend to avoid adding it to menu and making it possible to be enabled by everyone. I strongly believe that its's something that should be hidden for average beginner's eyes and should not be easily enablable via menu.

8. Unwinder

Update on this. It was indeed a bug, I just nailed it down and fixed it.

ragesaq likes this.
  9. Unwinder

I'm adding one more thing to the feature I mentioned yesterday. Now it is possible select multiple existing sources then hold <Ctrl> when clicking <Add> button in plugins configuration dialog to add copies of existing sources to the list. This will simplify the process of populating the list of counters for multiple instances of the same sensor, e.g. you just create desired sources for HDD1 once then simply select them, click <Add> while holding the <CTRL> to populate the same sources for HDD2, and simply reconfigure instance indices for them.

10. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    I like the new features, but when it comes to HWinfo plug in either there native or the new stuff now in MSI, AB it would be nice if when you ran the HW info plugins that only the polling and monitoring of a set of sensors run. I guess HWinfo would need so kind of profile that could be linked when MSI AB is run.

Because now you need both running and it would be nice if you could run a custom setup with MSI AB w/o having all sensors, that you might need for deep, detailed testing/monitoring.
    I hope that makes sense, anyway my limited testing it seems to work and the performance polling time works (I even altered my setting to lower rate a bit by disabling fan speed for fan tac)

Edit:
    I know the above is probably way beyond the scope of 4.4 or maybe any version as HWinfo would need added profiles or something added.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018

11. Unwinder

That's impossible, external applications cannot enable/disable desired HwInfo sensors. The only possible way for HwInfo shared memory interface is as it is now - HwInfo is polling everything you enabled there.
    Technically it would be possible to license HwInfo SDK so any desired sensor can be polled directly form plugin without need to run HwInfo executable. But that is rather expensive solution, we've tried to convince MSI that it could be useful feature addition, but they don't seem to be interested sadly.

Andy_K likes this.
  12. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    Yes, I figured that be the case, thanks for info on it.

13. Unwinder

4.4.3 beta 2 is online:

http://download-eu2.guru3d.com/afterburner/[Guru3D.com]-MSIAfterburnerSetup443Beta2.rar

Changes list comparing to the previous beta:

- New hardware monitoring performance profiler panel is now visualizing sorted per-sensor polling statistics diagram instead of displaying just a single sensor with maximum polling time. This allows you to identify multiple most CPU hungry sensor much easier than before. The panel is no longer triggered by <Ctrl>+<Shift> hotkeys and "Show status" context menu command, now it can be displayed with new separate "Show profiler panel" command in the context menu.
    - Added double buffering style to list controls, displaying dynamically refreshable sensors in AIDA64/HwInfo/PerfCounter plugin's GUI. Double buffering is aimed to minimize flickering effect.
    - Added new button for selecting instance name or index in performance counter data source setup dialog in PerfCounter plugin. It is no longer necessary (but still possible) to type it in manually.
    - The list of root items (i.e. performance object names) is sorted alphabetically in "Add new source" window in PerfCounter plugin.
    - Now you can hold <Ctrl> while clicking "Add new source" buttons in AIDA64/HwInfo/PerfCounter plugins to clone currently selected sources in AIDA64/HwInfo/PerfCounter plugins. This feature can be useful when populating the same sets of sensors for multiple instances of physical devices (e.g. clone HDD1 sensors and add the same for HDD2).
    - Fixed bug in HwInfo plugin GUI, which could result in displaying duplicated sensor data in "Add new source" window in HwInfo plugin.
    - Added ability to use performance counters with non-localized names in PerfCounter plugin (e.g. GPU Engine performance counters introduced in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2018
  14. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    How do I get framerate min/avg/max to work? its only display blank graph for it.

edit: doesnt work in battlefield 1 but does in metro last light redux

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  15. Unwinder

It is displayed in benchmark mode only and it was explained _many_ times in multiple threads including this one.

16. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    working here, try it in something like Valley or Heven so you can have it windowed.

17. ragesaq

ragesaq Member

GPU:
    Looking good! I like the profiler menu, took out that annoying gpu power detector and now my highest poller is the NIC at 1.8ms, not too shabby!

Also, can confirm that the duplicate value bug across different hwinfo entries is resolved (the airflow sensor for my two different SSDs) but the duplicate value bug still seems to be present within the same hwinfo entry. Check this screenshot, one is a Temp sensor and the other is a Fan RPM sensor, both of which have the same name: CPU.

[​IMG]

18. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    Yes, now all HW data can get added.
    I added MB ram voltage with format %.2f, you do need to restart AB for it to show up, or at least I did, no biggy working fine.

Ok, maybe it just needed setting up as I changed it to %.3f (0.000) and all updated fine w/o restarting.

On another note the polling performance on CPU stuff is magnitude better than the GPU data.

19. ragesaq

ragesaq Member

GPU:
    Another suggestion on the HWiNFO plugin, maybe make all the trees collapsed by default? Theres a lot of items in my hwinfo and it would be easier to find stuff if the trees were collapsed by default.

20. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    Once you setup start and stop hotkeys for benchmark you don't even need to tick them off in monitoring tab/OSD if you don't need them on screen.
    After you toggle on/off during gameplay, after game open to benchmark tab and view the results, it saves all important ones.