MSI AB / RTSS development news thread

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Unwinder, Feb 20, 2017.

1. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Wonder if it's similar to other GameWorks titles requiring this to be set, as the game uses Nvidia PhysX for some particle effects.

[RendererDirect3D10]
    Enable = 0

You can see some of the template profiles for this in RivaTuner for Batman: Arkham Knight, The Hunter: Call of the Wild, Just Cause 3 and one of the Call of Duty games to take a few example profiles. :)

EDIT: One of the posts by Unwinder himself has a better explanation on what's up with this, forgot if it was this thread or the general bug report thread but in any case it should be pretty simple to just try it and see if it works.

EDIT: Yeah something on how DX10 is being used for the PhysX effects so that's what breaks things and how excluding D3D10 monitoring works around the issue, also only happens on Nvidia cards since AMD GPU's can't really do CUDA stuff.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    -Tj- likes this.
  2. Digika

Digika Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670
    Does anyone know where can I find some RT docs/info regarding how to hook up my custom tool with RTSS to display stuff i.e. I need API/kit docs

3. XR5777

XR5777 Member

GPU:
    FURY X
    Hello Unwinder thankyou ever so much for the reply I cant believe I'm speaking with the creator of this world class program.

If I may say I 100% understand that AMD disabled the HBM and not Afterburner I just mentioned you had to disable the feature because of AMD and not you. Sorry if I caused offence I should have worded that different. I was reading this on the Afterburner logs.

''The unofficial overclocking mode is currently broken in AMD Crimson 17.7.2 display drivers, so MSI Afterburner is forcibly disabling unofficial overclocking mode and always using official ADL overclocking codepath on 17.7.2 and newer drivers. However, unofficial overclocking mode can still be manually unlocked via configuration file on 17.7.2 and newer drivers if AMD decides to provide a fix for unofficial overclocking mode in the future.''

I hand on heart thought that HBM overclocking was unstable but now I understand that its AMD that have completely disabled HBM through the API.

Also you mentioned that AMD never said you could overclock the HBM? I remember AMD screaming ''Overclockers Dream'' for the FuryX before launch. I learned very fast it was all lies from AMD.

Without Afterburner the FuryX was unstable on launch, I have purchased a new one which was expensive to find out HBM OC is disabled from AMD. In what world is this legit? I have never heard of this tactic? They cant just disable the overclocking features on cards that's ridiculous. Borderline illegal they should have stated that they 'will' disable overclocking features in a future driver.

Disgusting tactics from AMD.

4. Vulkan

Vulkan Member

GPU:
    Zotac Mini GTX 1070
    That's what I waited for so long! :):):) 0.1% and 1% Low. So I don't have to do this with OCAT anymore. very much appreciated!! :)

5. XR5777

XR5777 Member

GPU:
    FURY X
    Just an update here.

I have modified a custom Fiji Bios with a base HBM speed of 550mhz and the AMD driver is reverting even a bios mod.

AMD have deliberately disabled the HBM overclock through software or Bios editing, what a bunch of scumbags.

They always moan about not having the resources to update and here they are actually putting money and resources in to making sure you cannot OC the HBM.

I'm furious at this right now.

6. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    Change to nvidia if you dont like it, there is probably a reason it is Disabled for HBM.

7. Vulkan

Vulkan Member

GPU:
    Zotac Mini GTX 1070
    @Unwinder
    I noticed with the final Version of Afterburner a weird thing:

I have a GTX 1070 Mini from Zotac and I'm overclocking it to 2.1 Ghz Memoryclock.

[​IMG]

Now, AB is starting with windows, so I fixed a standard OC-Profile which sets Core to +100 and Memory to +200 Mhz. Now the weird part: Sometimes in games I just notice on the OSD, that ingame the memory clock is just running at 2 Ghz instead of 2.1 Ghz. Then I have to adjust the memory Overclock to +400, to get my 2.1 Ghz. After a PC restart for example it works fine again with +200 Mhz.. I had this issue AFAIR since the final Afterburner Release. Maybe you can look into that? With all the betas I never had this problem.

8. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

No, I cannot look into it, sorry. It doesn't and cannot depend on AB, it is up to you to resolve it.

9. Vulkan

Vulkan Member

GPU:
    Zotac Mini GTX 1070
    :-( Weird issue. Got no clue what could be the cause. Thanks anyway. I installed now the beta 21 and will watch if the problem occurs again or not..

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  10. capitano95

capitano95 New Member

GPU:
    GTX 960M 2GB
    Hello,
    I have a problem seeing the OSD in play with MSI Afterburner 4.4.0 and RTSS 7.0.0.
    Latest Nvidia 388.43 drivers on Windows 10 1709.
    In MSI I activated everything but still do not go.

11. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Thanks, totally forgot about this. Its working now :)

12. Shadowxaero

Shadowxaero Master Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6800 XT
    The best way to OC Fiji is honestly with a custom bios. Set the HBM clocks and core clocks your card can handle. Set the voltages needed, maybe change the fan curve sensitivity all in the bios and flash it. That way you don't have to rely on drivers or software at all for OCing. There is is huge thread on overclock.net for Fiji bios editing and unlocking.

13. XR5777

XR5777 Member

GPU:
    FURY X
    Hello and thankyou very much for the reply.

If I may say go to post #987 you will see that one has already modified a custom bios with the added 50mhz and still the AMD driver API reverts back the settings.

I have read many other threads regarding this issue and everyone states the same, modified bios will not register new OC settings.

14. XR5777

XR5777 Member

GPU:
    FURY X
    Hello.

I had a message sent to me from AMDMatt who is a moderator over at the AMD forums and he states that the new API can be overclocked but its up to the developer of the OC software.

May I ask if the dedicated Afterburner team could take some of their valuable time to maybe have a look into the new AMD API for Fiji in the future? I'm sure this can be worked out for the benefit of all Fiji owners who just want their settings back.

So just to clarify.

You cannot OC HBM with any software.
    You cannot modify the Bios for the HBM.

Thankyou for your time and hope to speak soon.

15. Unwinder

Matt is PR person and he is not a software developer. And no, there are no AMD APIs supporting it for Fiji. Please stop pushing your desires that actively, I CANNOT help you with that.

LocoDiceGR likes this.

16. Shadowxaero

Shadowxaero Master Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6800 XT
    Oh wow, well things have changed since I has my Fury cards as HBM OCing via bios worked back then, I have since upgraded to Vega so I was unaware that they new drivers completely locked out HBM OCing.

You could try one of Gupstergs (I think that is his name) Roms with tighter HBM timing maybe?

I also don't think there is anything Unwinder can do. Now I am no software developer but HBM OCing works in AB for Vega so I would assume that means Unwinder IS using the latest AMD API's in which case if HBM OCing isn't working for Fiji, it must not be supported in said APIs

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  17. jwb1

jwb1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    Unwinder,

Using the latest official MSI Afterburner and RivaTuner. Having this issue:

A new Windows 10 update, kb4051963 came out (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4051963) and it seems to be affecting certain applications from crashing and not even opening. And I narrowed it down to having RivaTuner open. The only way to fix is by uninstalling the update or not run RivaTuner.

The event log lists this as the issue:

Faulting application name: HandBrake.exe, version: 1.1.0.0, time stamp: 0x5a20b293
    Faulting module name: d3d9.dll, version: 10.0.16299.98, time stamp: 0xbc4a6017
    Exception code: 0xc0000409
    Fault offset: 0x0000000000043577
    Faulting process id: 0x568
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d36b003e06754a
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\HandBrake Nightly\HandBrake.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\d3d9.dll
    Report Id: 4e2b282d-baec-466c-83c1-b72e72b01300
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

Also seeing this crash with Elite Dangerous launcher.

Faulting application name: EDLaunch.exe, version: 0.4.6368.0, time stamp: 0x59f762a0
    Faulting module name: d3d9.dll, version: 10.0.16299.98, time stamp: 0xbc4a6017
    Exception code: 0xc0000409
    Fault offset: 0x0000000000043577
    Faulting process id: 0x2ed0
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d36b0abea5b877
    Faulting application path: E:\Program Files (x86)\Frontier\EDLaunch\
    EDLaunch.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\d3d9.dll
    Report Id: b0ef68da-113b-4ce6-a917-c81526898900
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

18. Unwinder

Cannot confirm it, I'm afraid you have to configure RTSS properly on your side.

19. XR5777

XR5777 Member

GPU:
    FURY X
    Hello and thankyou for the reply.

Have I offended you in any way because I asked as politely as possible on behalf of all Fiji owners? How is that I quote 'Pushing your desires'?

With the upmost respect your reply is quite hostile for someone only requesting information on this subject. I wasn't demanding anything I was only requesting for some of your valuable time to maybe dig deeper? No-one else in this world is capable so of coarse you will see me here requesting your expertise. I don't know what you have already back engineered and I guess you have already figured out the API. I apologize for wasting your time.

I need to ask one more question if I may? How is the AMD driver reverting even a modified bios? I believe the API is deliberately reverting any setting applied to the HBM. If this is true then the API can be altered. If you could point us in the right direction we can do the rest.

Vulkan likes this.
  20. jwb1

jwb1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    On 388.43 WHQL and running out of the box settings in RivaTuner is not configured properly?

Vulkan likes this.