MSI AB / RTSS development news thread

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Unwinder, Feb 20, 2017.

1. PowerK

PowerK Master Guru

GPU:
    2x RTX 3090 HOF
    Aha. Understood.
    Perhaps, is this reason also related to not being able to take a screenshot in UWP games using AB ??

2. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I believe Unwinder said as much earlier in this thread.

3. PowerK

PowerK Master Guru

GPU:
    2x RTX 3090 HOF
    Indeed.
    It's in the very first post in this thread.

4. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 960 OC
    Don't want to argue how legally disabled persons are to be treated.
    I only measured the colors of your two screenshots and apart from the red background of the group titles, the white background and the black text is 100% the same. The only difference are the red bars for the group titles.

5. Haldi

Haldi Master Guru

GPU:
    R9-290 CF
    And Probably the Monitor on which these two have been taken....

But i have to agree with him, i'm not really a big fan of this grey v4 Skin, but thats my own personal preference. ^^

BTT: now that 4.4 Final is out and no more Public Beta testing... Closed forum coming back one day?

6. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

I'm not thinking about anything development related at the moment, last year of RTSS 7.0.0 / AB 4.4.0 development without weekends was grueling and left nothing but frustration behind.
    Closed forum section is not supported by new forum engine, so if I feel that I self restored one day we'll return back to email testing model, which was used in original RT closed beta testing.

7. MrBeer

MrBeer Member

GPU:
    --
    love to get on that email list. love testing out afterburner and rtss would not be able to live withoutout it.kept up all the good work.You do very good work and i can't thank you enough .

cookieboyeli likes this.
  8. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    GB 2060S,Gsync,3DV2
    Updated to final stable version...Watch Dogs 2 seems that doesn't allowed OSD to run, again have to wait for white listing it ?
    Haven't check Ghostlands though I guess it will be the same again..

9. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Watch_Dogs 2 is EOL though and won't be updated further, if the current EAC signatures the game is using doesn't have a whitelist for Afterburner 4.4.0 / Rivatuner 7.0.0 you'll need to use the "-eac_launcher" shortcut parameter and basically kill online activity entirely.
    Said EAC signatures being a little file in the EAC folder for each game, no idea how it's shared because For Honor recently updated to title update 15 and ReShade 3.0.8 would not load at all whereas Wildlands and it's current title update 11 has it working as intended.
    (Well previous update now I guess, Ghost Wars Update 1 being the current but I haven't tested that version yet, would be weird if they changed ReShade back to non-whitelisted for some reason but it might not matter for Afterburner and/or Rivatuner which uses a digital signature now.)

10. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    GB 2060S,Gsync,3DV2
    Thnx, I know about parameter but I want to use online activities too..I will report to them and give some time and much hope for white listing it..

So, no one is playing W D 2 and care for AB' OSD as it seems, lol.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017

11. XR5777

XR5777 Member

GPU:
    FURY X
    Guys I apologize for the post but there's no straight answer anywhere regarding this issue with AMD HBM overclock.

I understand AMD have screwed the FuryX over with the recent updates but may I ask is it even possible to edit HBM on this new API?

12. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Any driver since 16.12.1 apparently locks down AMD Fiji HBM1 overclocking, you can adjust the values even in bios editing but the drivers will use the default speed instead of the stepping of 500, 545.45 and 600Mhz I think it was.
    I don't think timings have any effect either, unsure about voltage. Essentially software will see and report the edited value but the GPU will perform as it would on stock speed since the driver is preventing overclocking though as to how and why I'm not quite certain since HBM overclocking was a thing for the AMD Fury GPU's showing some gains for 545.45 and even 600 for the GPU's that could get that stable but it's been completely blocked in later drivers.

Wattman transition was also a bit problematic for various AMD GPU's when it was all moved over from the earlier Overdrive model, I believe most of it has been worked out by now but some people still prefer to rely on direct bios editing instead or third party software and avoid any issues that might occur with Wattman.
    (Just be careful because bios editing then becomes the new stock values so increases in software from Wattman or with Afterburner here have to be monitored carefully to retain stability.)

EDIT: Probably more to do with the drivers rather than Afterburner but you can certainly try either the unofficial overclocking mode or bios editing following tutorials here and elsewhere but I woudn't expect there to be any gains on any driver past 16.12.1 just so you're aware of that. :)
    (Nothing wrong with testing after all, bios editing well be careful with values in there and make sure to keep a backup around and don't flash both of the bios positions on the GPU so you can always revert if required.)

13. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX980 GAMING 1531mhz
    So beta 21 is the latest?

14. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
  15. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    4.4.0 Official.

Check the front page.

16. XR5777

XR5777 Member

GPU:
    FURY X
    Hello and thankyou for the detailed reply much appreciated.

I do have a custom bios flashed on the FuryX with added 100mV. Unfortunately I have never manually edited the rom file with custom memory speeds? Hopefully it shouldn't be too difficult to achieve.

Question is why would AMD disable HBM overclocking on the FuryX? Disgusting tactics if you ask me.

I installed Trixx software and guess what, the HBM overclock works but it locks the Core Speed to 300mhz. There is a way to bypass this I would have to back engineer the AMD API and study the Trixx software.

In the meantime could anyone point me in the right direction on how to manually edit the GPU flash rom file to increase the HBM speed from 500mhz to 550mhz?

I cannot believe the only GPU that Afterburner disables the memory on is the FuryX HBM. Talk about irony.

Last but not least I would like to thank the Afterburner team for creating the worlds most advanced overclocking software known out there. Eternally Grateful.

Another note as this forum is about beta testing using the Afterburner Beta 19 works absolutely flawless with the FuryX apart from the locked memory overclock.

Also I read the notes on Afterburner and apparently they disabled the HBM overclock because it was unstable? May I ask how unstable is this? Could we beta test with the HBM overclock enabled?

Thankyou for your time and hope to speak soon.

17. Unwinder

That's absolutely wrong statement, AB is not disabling anything. Talking about irony, I'm sadly used to get blame for "disabling" something when in fact the only side responsible for disabling is AMD. Furthermore, AMD _____NEVER____ promised you that you'll to be able to overclock HBM on Fiji. So formally you get exactly what you paid for. HBM clock control is not supported in their Wattman and official AMD overclocking API. And unofficial overclocking API is also broken (causes locking core clock on 300MHz) in new drivers.

XR5777 likes this.
  18. Unwinder

Minor RTSS update (7.0.1) with a few small but useful features is expected soon. I've added realtime 1% low / 0.1% low fps stats calculation to built-in benchmark module. So now benchmark overlay displays dynamic 1%/0.1% low fps values and final 1%/0.1% low fps is saved into benchmark log. Also new open source sample (RTSSFrametimePipeSample) is added to SDK. The sample is showing you how to get per-frame frametimes from any third party application via RTSS named pipe interface. The approach is allowing hardware reviewers to utilize RTSS to create custom benchmarking software, processing realtime frametime data to build graphs (similar to post processing FRAPS frametime logs). Such implementation was in use by my good friend W1zzard@TPU during last few years. Now similar custom benchmarking software can be created or modified by anyone else.

[​IMG]

Vulkan, CaptaPraelium, The1 and 2 others like this.
  19. jiminycricket

jiminycricket Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Hi Unwinder,

Would it be possible to implement per-profile capture blocking in RTSS? This thread mentioned the issue for UWP games, but I have the same problem when using the screenshot function in anti-cheat secured non-UWP games such as Day of Infamy (BattlEye) and Rising Storm 2 (EasyAntiCheat). If I try to take a screenshot while playing those games, the screenshot gets blocked by the anti-cheat and it tanks my frame rate until I restart the game. I'd like to keep using OSD in those games, but having a prevention against accidental screenshot button presses would be superb. Thanks.

20. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    The Bureau: XCOM Declassified

DX11 doesn't show OSD, when I select add it sees it as dx10, its ok in dx9.