MSI AB / RTSS development news thread

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Unwinder, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Thiago Diniz

Thiago Diniz Active Member

GPU:
    RX 7900 XT
    Just some info: after FC24 todays update, RTSS overlay is now working with FC24 (maybe with another EA titles too). FINALLY EA put RTSS in the whitelist. I hope they don't mess up again.

Maybe not the right place, but I saw people asking for EAGames support and they don`t understand that its EA Fault

Thanks Unwinder for this wonderful app. I love Overlay, there is nothing comparable.
    FC-RTSS.png

Last edited: May 9, 2024
  2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

interesting. I don't own FC24 to confirm it myself, but I checked BF 2042 and FIFA 23 which share the same EA anticheat. RTSS is still not whitelisted there.

Feyd likes this.
  3. Warkratos

Warkratos Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    Also working with Battlefield 2042 here, I've seen reports that version 7.3.6 is not working with Battlefield, rolling back to 7.3.5 works.

upload_2024-5-9_12-42-12.png

4. Unwinder

Then those guys from EA anticheat team whitelisted old 7.3.5 digital signature only (which is no longer valid to sign anything) and forgot to whitelist a signature used to sign 7.3.6 and newer builds. Typical EA, why I'm not surprized.
    Rolling back to 7.3.5 because of that like linked twitter post is suggesting is just plain stupid. 7.3.6 fixes important things.

Feyd, Aserback and Warkratos like this.

5. Thiago Diniz

Thiago Diniz Active Member

GPU:
    RX 7900 XT
    Thats it! I didn't update my RTSS yet, i'm using 7.3.5, cause I didn't feel the need to.

But, come on EA, 7.3.6 is avaliable like a month ago, 7.3.7 in the oven, and they whitelisted an old version o_O

6. Unwinder

Tried to explain it at reddit, but local "geniuses" traditionally downvoted provided info. We know everything about RTSS much better than the developer. (c) What's a fun place :D

vince__, Feyd, A.Wesker and 2 others like this.
  7. Unwinder

I've been contacted by Andres Roldan @ fluidattacks, the same researcher who posted CVE quoted above. He discovered one more issue inside the driver, and this time it is not an intended functionality, so I'd definitively like to patch it. He found the way to bypass MSI AB driver's ACL and access driver's functionality from non-admin processes. I've already patched it a few weeks ago, but it took some time to get driver signed on MSI side. So new beta with it will be available shortly.

BlindBison, mirh, BuildeR2 and 8 others like this.
  8. Unwinder

We're uploading RTSS 7.3.7 beta 3 Build 28022 and MSI AB 4.6.6 Beta 4 Build 16449 (includes RTSS 7.3.7 beta 3) with a fix for ACL bypass vulnerability mentioned in the previous post. Both MSI AB and RTSS got new Bulgarian localization by @didopioneer. Also MSI AB got a few changes mentioned in the previous posts (#1 #2), I'll summarize them a bit later.

Grab new versions here:

https://download-eu2.guru3d.com/rtss/[Guru3D]-RTSSSetup737Beta3Build28022.rar
    https://download-eu2.guru3d.com/afterburner/[Guru3D]-MSIAfterburnerSetup466Beta4Build16449.rar

Last edited: May 16, 2024
    BlindBison, toyo, Feyd and 21 others like this.
  9. Unwinder

As I promised before, here is full changes list for recently released betas:

RTSS 7.3.7 beta 3 Build 28022:

- Added Bulgarian localization
    - Fixed ACL bypass vulnerability in OverlayEditor's RTCoreMini driver

MSI Afterburner 4.6.6 Beta 4 Build 16449:

- Added alternate V/F point locking mode. Now you may consequently press <L> key inside V/F curve editor to switch between voltage locking and max frequency locking modes
    - Optimized GPU context switching implementation in HAL. This provides slightly faster GPU selection in GUI and slightly reduced CPU polling time for the systems with multiple GPUs
    - Now MSI Afterburner uses extended 32KB RTSS text slot instead of previously used 4KB slot to display OSD, so legacy MSI Afterburner OSD can fit 8x more text items without hitting the limit
    - Added Bulgarian localization
    - Fixed ACL bypass vulnerability and NULL ptr dereference in RTCore driver (reported by Andres Roldan)
    - Bundled RTSS version has been upgraded to 7.3.7 beta 3

Last edited: May 17, 2024
    ptt, BlindBison, prueba22 and 23 others like this.
  10. Soren01

Soren01 Member

GPU:
    RX480 8GB
    Thanks!

11. MrBeer

MrBeer Active Member

GPU:
    --
    BF2042 now works with RTSS 7.3.7 beta 3 Build 28022 And MSI Afterburner 4.6.6 Beta 4 Build 16449. With last bf2042 update

Warkratos likes this.
  12. Unwinder

Weird. I cannot confirm it sadly. Just tried 2042 on my side, 7.3.6 and 7.3.7are still not whitelisted yet here.

Feyd likes this.
  13. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Not working here with latest AB + RTSS, just updated BF2042.

14. jesteves

jesteves Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X @ 2100
    Not working here, too :(

15. MrBeer

MrBeer Active Member

GPU:
    --
    When I get home I will do a video I am using windows 24h2 but I don't think that has anything to do with it but I will send a video I get home from work had the do a repair on the game when I did that last update also I am using still using origin with https://github.com/p0358/Fuck_off_EA_App
    Forgot to say I'm still using the old overlay from MSI afterburner but the latest version not rtss overlay. Thanks for the work on the app. Your the best.

Last edited: May 23, 2024

16. MrBeer

MrBeer Active Member

GPU:
    --
  17. Unwinder

Probably your https://github.com/p0358/Fuck_off_EA_App somehow breaks EA anrticheat. That's not something I'd like to try to reproduce/investigate. Anyway, it sadly still doesn't work in default config.

MrBeer and Feyd like this.
  18. MrBeer

MrBeer Active Member

GPU:
    --
    Will go back to EA app and try it tonight . Before the patch 7.2.1 it did not work. Thanks for the reply.

19. Unwinder

Wow. Just tried it again and got it working with 7.3.7 on my side now. There were no BF updates. Probably EA anticheat is updated iteratively in waves at different systems and not for all at once.

Feyd likes this.
  20. Endless

Endless Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4090 OC
    Can confirm that it works for 7.3.7 28021 Beta 2. Tried it moments ago, no issue at all.

Edit: EA Sports FC 24 works too!

Last edited: May 25, 2024