MSI AB / RTSS development news thread

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Unwinder, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Ichisich

Ichisich Member

GPU:
    AMD RX 580
    Congrats on releasing the final 7.3.5.
    IgnoreDXGIInterop=2 is a godsend when using emulators with injected CRT filters.

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

We'll preparing MSI AB 4.6.6 beta 3 build 16381 to uploading. No major changes inside, the main reason of releasing new version is to provide you a build bundled with final RTSS 7.3.5. The only changes are:

- Fixed Intel IGCL GPU enumeration routine, causing additional ghost GPU to be detected on the systems with multiple Intel GPUs. That's the same fix that was applied to RTSS OverlayEditor's hardware monitoring core before
    - Updated PTBR, German and Ukrainian localizations
    - RTSS distributive has been upgraded to final 7.3.5

Download it here:
    https://download-eu2.guru3d.com/afterburner/[Guru3D]-MSIAfterburnerSetup466Beta3Build16831.rar

Last edited: Feb 8, 2024
    Xtreme512, rauf, toyo and 18 others like this.
  3. lowenz

lowenz Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GeForce 3060
    Of course it's not hard, the problem is that I've just swapped the NV GPU based VGA with the Intel one, so before the swapping it just worked and my memory dropped it was a GPU-specific function.

4. Unwinder

We’ll launch MSI AB 4.6.6 beta 3 build 16381 as the first official 4.6.6 beta in the next few hours and put in Guru3D news/downloads.
    It will be also hosted @ MSI.com but it trafitionally takes a bit more time for MSI webmasters to update the content there. So it may take a few days till it appear there and become visible to update checking system (which is also hosted at MSI server side).

Feyd, SunnyStefan, oneoulker and 8 others like this.

5. Unwinder

Just an update on this:

Still have not received a reply from MSI to my notification email about new version release. Considering that they are celebrating Chinese New Year now, releasing new build on MSI.com can take much more time - probably a few weeks instead of a few days as I initially expected.

wuviz, oneoulker, Feyd and 1 other person like this.
  6. Unwinder

Typical day, typical dialog with the next reddit random "genius" believing that he knows how RTSS works. Reddit badly needs IQ test on registration:

upload_2024-2-24_5-31-6.png

hitzz, A.Wesker, Kaminari and 15 others like this.
  7. Unwinder

Important info for those who play recently released "Le Mans Ultimate" (early access). Currently the game may crash in the end of track load while RTSS is active, the fix is available in this post:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/2399420/discussions/0/7221029098493226910/#c4348858679325965794

I mentioned in that thread that crash is Reflex latency marker injection related, so in addition to workaround posted there (enabling "Use Microsoft Detours API Hooking" in RTSS injection compatibility properties) you may alternately disable Reflex latency markers injeciton for this app (either globally with ReflexSetLatencyMarker=0 or via creating application specific profile for "Le Mans Ultimate.exe" doing it there).

Last edited: Feb 24, 2024
    iNerd, rauf, Ohmer and 3 others like this.
  8. Unwinder

In addition to the previous post:
    My code signing certificate is expiring tomorrow, so I have the last day while I can build new version of RTSS signed by it. So, in addition to my previous post, I decided to compile slightly altered 7.3.5 installer with integrated workaround for "Le Mans Ultimate". It just forces MS detours hooking mode for ID3D11DeviceContext::ClearRenderTargetView hook to improve compatibility with this game. The change is tiny so it doesn't deserve even a minor version bump, it will be the same 7.3.5 with incremented build number 28002. But it won't replace final 7.3.5, we'll simply host it here in the forum as hotfix solution for "Le Mans Ultimate" players only.
    We'll upload it shortly.

Grab it here:
    https://download-eu2.guru3d.com/rtss/[Guru3D]-RTSSSetup735Build28002.rar

9. Unwinder

Got a reply from MSI. MSI Afterburner 4.6.6 beta 3, which was released a couple of weeks ago here, will finally become downloadable from MSI.com on this week. We'll also make it visible to application's update checking system.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2024
    bigcid1, Ohmer, wtfisgoingon and 3 others like this.
  10. Unwinder

Last edited: Feb 28, 2024
    A.Wesker, Kaminari, The1 and 8 others like this.

11. Unwinder

Daily online search for RTSS/MSI AB related discussions is a part of quality control, which helps to nail down real issues sometimes. But 99.9% of time it is nothing but dialogs with attacking gamer noobs. Just met the next fun person at reddit, who believes that he knows everything about "RTSS and stutters" and I have absolutely no ideas what I'm talking about in context of RTSS discussion.

upload_2024-2-29_22-21-52.png

hitzz, Kaminari, SpajdrEX and 4 others like this.
  12. Unwinder

Two NVIDIA Reflex related options, which were available to power users only in the previous version, will be controllable directly via GUI in the next version of RTSS:

upload_2024-3-1_17-50-9.png

The first option allows disabling NVIDIA Reflex latency markers injection. If you disable it, Reflex analyzer related statistics will be invisible inside the applications, which do not support NVIDIA Reflex natively. You can use it for troubleshooting to disable it either globally or for specific applications only (like it is currently disabled via application profiles for Workers & Resource : Soviet Republic and Overwatch 2). Also you may want to disable it if you combine RTSS with Special K and prefer to see Reflex latency markers injected on SK side instead of RTSS.
    The second option is controlling NvAPI_D3D_Sleep injection behavior like I previously explained in this post.

13. Unwinder

@Icek

"You need to look for something else because RTSS is getting messy. everything is too much."

What's a point of registering here is the only thing you post is a hate? Bad to be you, sad to be you. I'll continue developing "messy" thing for people able to think, and you can search for some other place to post yout "valuable" feedback.

14. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    The Reflex frame rate limiter will still work though? (For DLSS FG.)

15. Unwinder

Yes. Latency markers are not mandatory to get Reflex low-latency mode working. The primary functionality of the markers is an ability to monitor latencies from 3D application. The markers can also a bit improve efficiency of Reflex low-latency + boost mode (due to having precise info about render submission stage start in application and due to being able to ensure that GPU clock is maxed prior to it), but RTSS doesn't force ll+boost mode for applications with injected Reflex support anyway.

lifexstyle, Feyd and RealNC like this.

16. Unwinder

A few more improvements added to 7.3.6. All are installer / installation integrity checking related:

· Now the installer is skipping the process of downloading and deploying VC++ redistributables if the previous downloaded copy of redistributables is detected inside .\Redist folder. Installation on top of the previously installed version should be much faster now
    · Now installation and uninstallation attempts are blocked until reboot when the previous installer’s or uninstaller’s reboot prompt is ignored
    · Improved protection against attempts to run incompletely installed application when installer’s reboot prompt is ignored by user and some pending file operations are scheduled to be performed on the next reboot. Previously it was possible to bypass the protection and still start application in such incompletely installed state with scheduled startup task after user logoff/logon. Also, the protection is now verifying the product integrity and doesn’t allow starting it if some component is missing due to corrupted installation

A.Wesker, SanokKule, ParKur and 5 others like this.
  17. Unwinder

RTSS 7.3.6 build 28004 will be available for download shortly. It includes the changes I mentioned in the previous posts:

· Now the installer is skipping the process of downloading and deploying VC++ redistributables if the previous downloaded copy of redistributables is detected inside .\Redist folder. Installation on top of the previously installed version should be much faster now
    · Now installation and uninstallation attempts are blocked until reboot when the previous installer’s or uninstaller’s reboot prompt is ignored
    · Improved protection against attempts to run incompletely installed application when installer’s reboot prompt is ignored by user and some pending file operations are scheduled to be performed on the next reboot. Previously it was possible to bypass the protection and still start application in such incompletely installed state with scheduled startup task after user logoff/logon. Also, the protection is now verifying the product integrity and doesn’t allow starting it if some component is missing due to corrupted installation
    · Some of previously introduced NVIDIA Reflex injection related options are no longer power oriented and can be changed via “Injection properties” settings group in “General” tab:
    o New “Inject NVIDIA Reflex latency markers” option can be used for troubleshooting, you may use it to disable markers injection either globally or for some specific applications
    o New “Inject NVIDIA Reflex sleep call” option can be used to control NvAPI_D3D_Sleep injection behavior, you may tweak it to improve injected Reflex efficiency in applications performing simulation and input sampling on rendering thread

Download it here:
    https://download-eu2.guru3d.com/rtss/[Guru3D]-RTSSSetup736Build28004.rar

Last edited: Mar 4, 2024
    A.Wesker, Kaminari, UVB and 19 others like this.
  18. Unwinder

CVE - CVE-2024-1460 (mitre.org) associated with MSI Afterburner's driver has been published. It is described as:

"The 0x80002040 IOCTL code of the RTCore64.sys driver allows map up to 0x20000 of a physical address from range 0xC0000 to 0xE0000 on a non-paged virtual kernel memory range whose address can be leaked. That physical range is commonly used to store BIOS information of the device's motherboard. The handle to the driver can only be obtained from a high integrity process."

But ironically, "leaking" memory mapped VGA BIOS copy to privileged process is intended VGA tuning application's functionality so it will stay inside.

Feyd and zingzs like this.
  19. Unwinder

Good news. Experienced RTSS users probably remember that by default RTSS calculates frametime slightly different comparing to PresentMon and other applications based on it (e.g. CapFrameX). I explained the difference before: RTSS calculates frametimes as frame-start-to-frame-start timestamps difference instead of present-to-present timestamps difference in PresentMon. I believe that frame-start-to-frame-start approach is closer to game engine's own timings and it is a better way to monitor framepacing and animation quality. However, it was the source of confusion for a lot of newbies, who tried to compare frametime graphs they see in RTSS versus CapframeX/SK and claimed that RTSS displays "wrong frametimes", "displays timings of its own framerate limiter instead of showing the reality" etc etc. Due to such massive confusion RTSS introduced an option for experienced users, allowing you to switch between frame-start-to-frame-start and present-to-present frametime calculation modes, so reviewers could avoid comparing apples to oranges. But starting from the next version, Intel are also finally swicthing PresentMon to the same frametime calculation mode as RTSS uses since day one. So I hope it will end all frametime measurement related confusions:

rauf, octoreach, hitzz and 25 others like this.
  20. Jankes

Jankes Member

GPU:
    RX 6600 XT Gaming X
    This is bothering me from a long time... every time I update RTSS I get this:

2024-03-16.png
    File is not locked, checked with File Locksmith (PowerToys), but still this error occurs.
    Any ideas?