MSI AB / RTSS development news thread

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Unwinder, Feb 20, 2017.

1. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    I'm using this for over a year to be up to date with VC++ libraries
    abbodi1406/vcredist: AIO Repack for latest Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Runtimes (github.com)

2. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    BlindBison likes this.
  3. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    I'd like the idea of having my custom OSD layouts in MyDocuments\RTSS :cool:

4. mrleleco

mrleleco Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Zotac 12Gb

is there any other way to fix fps drops with dualsense without disabling passive waiting?

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Dualsense controls abuse the bluetooth stack and fire too many interrupts just to update positional info.

wtfisgoingon likes this.
  6. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

4.6.5 release got into news and every single site seem to be quoting wrong info, which was initially generated by videocardz newsmaker:

"Over this time, Afterburner had BETA releases, but this release is a full stable release. In fact, the last stable release (4.6.4) is as old as 2019, which shows how long it takes before non-BETA releases."

No, it doesn't take that long before non-BETA releases. No, the last stable 4.6.4 is not as old as 2019. It was publicly announced in the end of 2021, 4.6.4 release date is 3.12.2021.

Papusan, The1, SanokKule and 6 others like this.
  7. Unwinder

Done, OverlayEditor unlocks an ability of saving layouts to or loading layouts from external folder now. When you try to save layout to a different folder, it will also offer you to copy dependent files like embedded image (which must be located in the same folder with layout file) there. To allow you to differentiate local (i.e. stored inside .\Plugins\Client\Overlays) and external layouts, local layouts will be displayed as naked filename only in editor's window caption (e.g. "Overlay editor - sample.ovl"), while external layouts will be displayed with full filepath like on this screenshot:

upload_2023-4-19_20-28-21.png

Dan Longman, Haldi, tomcat66 and 12 others like this.
  8. Unwinder

In addition to the previous post, I think it wil be useful for experienced application users to explain why overlay layouts were resticted to .\Plugins\Client\Overlays subfolder location only before. It will give you better understanding of both AB/RTSS design patterns. The reason is simple: I try to follow portable application design pattern for both MSI AB and RTSS. Both applications come with installler but in fact both of them are fully portable, which means that they store all their settings inside the application's folder only, they do not use registry and OS specific folders to store any type of settings so you can simply copy installed application's folder to some different locatoin and it will still work under different OS or even different hardware and keep all the application specific settings you made (assuming that different OS/hardware have fully installed VC+ and DX runtime prerequisites of course). I strongly beleive that system applications (and most application classes in general) must not put their files in multiple random places including documents folders, roaming folders etc. Such approach just leaves unnecessary trash files after uninstallation making OS specific folders slowly growing without control. In my understanding everything application related should be located in one place, so "no main folder - no traces of application left" principle always works for you for emergency and full uninstall. Portable design pattern also allows me to keep dozen of different vesions of RTSS/AB for compatibility testing on different hardware platforms with exactly the same application settings.

But I did an exception for overlay layouts now because layout became much more than just an application setting. With current OverlayEditor's customization level it is kind of artwork and it would be absolute pain for overlay layout creator to get it lost due to sudden RTSS folder removal during uninstallation.

Haldi, tomcat66, Papusan and 13 others like this.
  9. Unwinder

One more minor thing added to the next build of RTSS: DesktopOverlayHost.exe will be ignored by screen and video capture requests now.

Haldi, SanokKule and toyo like this.
  10. Unwinder

Dear forum newbies, if I declared that I won't longer even try to reply to annoying and time stealing "new version is crap, old was better" comments from 1-post users in news section and in this thread, it doesn't mean that you need to try to cheat that and to redirect such posts directly to my PMs. Thing like that in PM will be ignored too:

"

• CPU usage data sources in hardware monitoring module have been switched to alternate implementation based on NtQuerySystemInformation(SystemProcessorIdleInformation), because traditional legacy idle time reporting in NtQuerySystemInformation(SystemProcessorPerformanceInformation) is broken in current Windows 11 22H2 builds
    Sorry, but is buggy and ONLY works on W11. On W10 22H2 it only displays 100% always CPU usage!!
    So...... Back to the stable 4.6.4 and has no problems about that.

Best greetx!
    "

Ironically, I must have very special builds of W10 22H2 on my side that magically works. It is not fun to reply to things like that after each public release. It is useless timekill.

upload_2023-4-20_16-57-46.png

SanokKule likes this.

11. Israeli Eagle

Israeli Eagle Guest

GPU:
    RTX 8GB VRAM
    There are multiple ways possible, so MAYBE it works on some machines. But for sure not always while the older version has zero problems.

And YOU only tested on old Ryzen 2700X and ARC which is known as trash????? Come on...

Fact is that the version 4.6.4 works perfectly for me (like all other tools about that), but the new 4.6.5 not and only displays 100% and nothing else.

I marked it now on same main databases as BETA, sorry.

12. Unwinder

Full collection of stupidness from 1-post guy thinking that he is special and everything posted before is not for him. Who cares that the developer asked to avoid spamming him? Who cares that there are explicit warnings telling that such things won't be tolerated in this thread?
    What do we do in final? Traditionally trying to attack and reporting post of evil application devloper. I'm deadly tired of dealing with such nonsense. GTFO from this thread please, leave MSI AB for people with brain.

SURE. I tested single PC only and nobody besides you uses Win10. No need to continue this dialog.

13. Israeli Eagle

Israeli Eagle Guest

GPU:
    RTX 8GB VRAM
    Oh my........ ROFL
    The world has good reasons to ban Russians. LOL

I tried and started nicely as private message, because I like to work together with nice people. BUT... Sorry, I not work with Putin types.

BYE & SHALOM

14. Israeli Eagle

Israeli Eagle Guest

GPU:
    RTX 8GB VRAM
    ... and that tells a member of the current worst *** country?? LMAO
    Better stop asap Vodka.

Btw: And most people still prefer W10, because W11 is way too buggy and is more like Vista after XP. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2023
  15. Unwinder

I do not clean all that crap posted by this person to demonstrate why I gave up on support and why any questions in PM are ignored since today.
    If other mods will decide to unban this person similar to RTSS 7.3.4 news thread, I ask to ban my account instead. I have nothing to do in a place where I cannot protect my work from mentally ill users.

SanokKule likes this.

16. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Mods are not able to unban. We can only ban permanently or timed. Just so you know, and not get the wrong impression about us.

17. Unwinder

No worries, I know what regular mod accounts can and cannot do. And understand unban route.

I undeleted the last posts by that guy to explain those who carefully read development news thread why questions sent directly to PM can be also ignored now, do not clean it up please. Without seeing all that deleted content, which is being posted/deleted in endless loop, it is quite hard for regular users to understand why one day you may start avoiding answering public questions from people you don't know like a plague.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2023
    ZAMHome, Haldi, elbubi and 2 others like this.
  18. Unwinder

The second beta of VS2022 based RTSS 7.3.5 is available. RTSS core is almost the same as before, most changes are related to OverlayEditor and integrating VCRedistWebSetup into installer, which allowed compressing RTSS distributive with 3x compression ratio comparing to the previous VS2022 based RTSS 7.3.5 beta 1. Full changes list includes:

- Now the installer uses web setup to deploy VC++ 2022 runtimes, so installation process can take some extra time due to downloading x86 and x64 runtimes on the fly. VCRedistWebSetup is located inside .\Redist folder, downloaded VC++ 2022 runtimes and download/installation log are also located in this folder. You may reuse VCRedistWebSetup to deploy older versions of VC++ distributives if necessary. Please take a note that .\Redist folder also contains VCRedistDeploy.bat, allowing you to re-deploy required VC++ 2022 x64/32 redistributables later (in case you initially used offline installation).
    - Now uninstaller removes configuration files for OverlayEditor, HotkeyHandler and DesktopOverlayHost when you choose clean uninstallation mode. Please take a note that your own overlay layouts stored inside .\Plugins\Client\Overlays folder will never be removed during uninstallation by design.
    - Altered DPI awareness settings for DesktopOverlayHost to make it to behave as expected by design (migration to VS2022 related).
    - Fixed buffer overrun in OverlayEditor's GUI, causing it to crash when total text length displayed in "Cell" column of "Text table properties" window was longer than 260 symbols.
    - Now OverlayEditor supports saving overlay layouts to or loading overlay lauoyts from external folders. To allow you to differentiate local (i.e. stored inside .\Plugins\Client\Overlays) and external layouts, local layouts will be displayed as naked filename only in editor's window caption (e.g. "Overlay editor - sample.ovl"), while external layouts will be displayed with full filepath. More details on this change are available here.
    - Now OverlayEditor supports context highlighting for text file embedding <F=textfile.txt> hypertext tag. Visual tag browser displayed when you type in <> in hypertext field also support instering <F> tag.
    - Image loading <LI> hypertext tag handler has been improved to allow loading embedded images from external folders.
    - Now RTSS ignores its own process and DesktopOverlayHost in screen and videocapture requests. So you no longer see unwanted screenshots or videos captured from OverlayEditor's or DesktopOverlayHost's 3D windows when you open them simultaneously with other 3D applications and initiate screen or video capture.

Grab it here:

https://download-eu2.guru3d.com/rtss/[Guru3D.com]-RTSSSetup735Beta2Buils27565_VS2022.rar

19. Unwinder

I've also finished porting MSI AB to VS2022 similar to RTSS so you can try the first 4.6.6 beta build 16371. It is official 4.6.5 rebuild with different compiler with no changes in source code and no new features inside. We also publish it to test the process of migration to new compiler. So if you notice any software behavior differences between this build and official 4.6.5 (and ONLY between those two versions), please document them, it may be also new compiler version related. The only enhancement of new version is hardware database related, I've unlocked voltage control in the database for 3060 8GB cards as promised in this thread.

Similar to recent RTSS installer changes, I've integrated VCRedistWebSetup into AB installer and integraded VS2022 RTSS beta build instead of final 7.3.4 so it is also much more compact now (even comparing to VS2008 based 4.6.5 build).

Grab it here:

https://download-eu2.guru3d.com/afterburner/[Guru3D.com]-MSIAfterburnerSetup466Beta1Build16371.rar

Last edited: Apr 21, 2023
  20. Haldi

Haldi Master Guru

GPU:
    R9-290 CF
    This is awesome!

No more Deleting 200 Pictures every few weeks...
    and if i need a Fulscreen Screenshot of multiple Monitors i'm gonna press Win+Screenshot anyway!

Unwinder likes this.