MSI AB / RTSS development news thread

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Unwinder, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Sandboxed UWP process is still wrapped into regular EXE. If you click <I> button in MSI AB while some hooked UWP game is running, it will show the name of UWP executable in "Active 3D process" line. You can use this name for application-specific profile creation.
    BTW, due to RTSS shared memory layout improvements (listed in the first posting) MSI AB 4.3.1 will also display "x64" and "UWP" flags next to each listed 3D process.

2. DonMigs85

DonMigs85 Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3070 Ventus
    Thanks, my good man

3. Unwinder

Beta 2 is available:

http://office.guru3d.com/afterburner/RTSSSetup670Beta2.rar

- Added OSD support for Halo Wars Definitive Edition
    - Improved OSD compatibility with Forza series games. OSD is now automatically enabled at startup for Forza Horizon 3 and Forza Motorsport 6: Apex.

I still couldn't reproduce crashes in Halo Wars 2 with OSD enabled, but I tried to create a profile for Halo Wars 2 with tweaks similar to what I've done with Forza series games. So please try Halo Wars 2 to see if it works better now for you.

4. Immortal

Immortal Guest

GPU:
    GTX Titan X
    I'm doing Halo Wars 2 extensive testing with RTSS beta 2, so far:

- it still crashes almost instantly after the map loads (skirmish, see below) when you start RTSS before Halo Wars 2

- Enabling RTSS after i load a map - gives random crashes (no error message, nothing, game just closes), sometimes as soon as few minutes in, sometimes like 20-30 minutes after but it always happen.

It seems to happen faster if i leave RTSS enabled, if i show it / hide it (via shortcut in afterburner) it seems to crash later. This needs additional testing, which im doing now.

Steps to reproduce:

- Select Skirmish
    - Deathmatch
    - 3on3 ->1 player, 5 SI (crashes also in 1on1)
    - map Ashes

Edit - some additional info from Windows logs:

So it seems it has something to do with VC runtime libs.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017

5. Unwinder

Still not reproducible here. I'm afraid we'll just declare Halo Wars 2 as unsupported title and forcibly disable OSD for it until I have a chance to reproduce it here.

6. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Checked the new beta. Halo Wars DE is detected and working fine now, thanks.

HW2's crash persists here though. Can't confirm the above report on it being VC related, my log shows two entries on each such crash:

Code:
    Description
    Faulting Application Path:	C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.HoganThreshold_1.2.247.2_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\HaloWars2_WinAppDX12Final.exe

Problem signature
    Problem Event Name:	MoAppCrash
    Package Full Name:	Microsoft.HoganThreshold_1.2.247.2_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
    Application Name:	praid:xgame.App
    Application Version:	0.0.0.0
    Application Timestamp:	589c55df
    Fault Module Name:	HaloWars2_WinAppDX12Final.exe
    Fault Module Version:	0.0.0.0
    Fault Module Timestamp:	589c55df
    Exception Code:	c0000005
    Exception Offset:	00000000044e1bf0
    OS Version:	10.0.14393.2.0.0.256.48
    Locale ID:	1049
    Additional Information 1:	9224
    Additional Information 2:	9224d96ba165915eec588aaac05c97d4
    Additional Information 3:	6aa2
    Additional Information 4:	6aa2d9b8923a072abb1671f28031b1ff

Extra information about the problem
    Bucket ID:	e4b6731c19e703cb16dfcb3340bc3387 (133465785027)

And

Code:
    Description
    A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
    Problem Event Name:	LiveKernelEvent
    Code:	141
    Parameter 1:	ffffac8e831d2010
    Parameter 2:	fffff806d0f57b4c
    Parameter 3:	0
    Parameter 4:	16bc
    OS version:	10_0_14393
    Service Pack:	0_0
    Product:	256_1
    OS Version:	10.0.14393.2.0.0.256.48
    Locale ID:	1049

There's something strange going on though and I'll have to investigate this a bit further - it looks like the mighty Windows Store managed to **** up the installation in some imaginative way. So this may not be related to RTSS (or at least partially isn't).

Upd: Ok, did some more testing. Haven't found nothing related to Winstore unfortunately so it is an AB problem after all.

There's a change in the crash behavior in the Beta2 though. On Beta1 the game would crash in the beginning of the first campaign level (The Signal) in both cases:

- if the OSD is enabled (or was enabled and hidden with a button) on game's start
    - if the OSD was enabled only after the level started (after the video at level start finished playing) and then the level was restarted through the menu Mission Restart option.

On Beta2 the second crash doesn't happen anymore. So if the level was loaded with the OSD being off, then you enable the OSD and restart the level - it doesn't crash on start anymore even with the OSD working. So you're onto something =)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  7. Immortal

Immortal Guest

GPU:
    GTX Titan X
    I made some more tests with my 3 other computers also asked a friend to test it out on his and its all the same. Not even on a single computer (all different processors, graphics cards etc..) Halo Wars 2 was stable with RTSS enabled.

So it has to be something very common yet not mandatory since it works fine(?) for Unwinder.

Anything we can do to make it easier for you to locate the problem?

8. Unwinder

Are there AMD GPUs in any of those 3 other PCs? I'm currently on 2xRX480 setup.

9. Immortal

Immortal Guest

GPU:
    GTX Titan X
    As a matter of fact - no, all are with GTX 10X0 cards (2x 1070, 1080 and my main is with Titan X). For some reason i assumed you had a GeForce card as well so it didn't even cross my mind to test on Radeon cards.

No problem, i have several RX 470 and 480 laying around, so i will test it with them in few / several hours and update you on that. Need to finish first something for work.

10. Unwinder

Just replaced 2x480 with single 1070. Still no luck to crash it :(

11. Immortal

Immortal Guest

GPU:
    GTX Titan X
    No luck here either, tried RX 470/480 and 2x480 just to be sure, always crashes the same as with GeForce cards.

At this point it's safe to assume it's not really GPU related. Not gonna lie - im super curious now, what's causing that.

Is there anyway i can provide you with other info which will help you find the cause of it? Some debugging tools or smtg?

12. Unwinder

Debug logs would be userful if RTSS refuse to render OSD or crash itself. But it doesn't contain too much useful info for game crashing case. Anyway, let's try to peek into RTSS logs. To enable it:

- Edit .\ProfileTemplates\Config file and set EnableLog to 3 in [Debug] section, then restart RTSS. That will cause RTSS to log activity to both log file or debug view, when access to log file is restricted (important for UWP apps as log cannot be saved outside the sandbox for it). Logging will degrade performance a bit, that's normal and expected as I save some RTSS activity on per-frame basis
    - Download DebugView and start it:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/debugview.aspx
    - Try to reproduce Halo Wars 2 crash
    - Save DebugView output and post it here or PM it to me

And don't forget to disable RTSS logging when you're done.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  13. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Here you go: http://wikisend.com/download/664022/HW2-PC.rar

Logging from game's start with OSD enabled till the crash.

I've had an idea to check on btw - do you have the game installed to the default location? What happens if you move it to another drive?

14. Unwinder

15. Immortal

Immortal Guest

GPU:
    GTX Titan X
    Edited, see below.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017

16. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    No change here, same behavior as with Beta2 - crashes at first level start if the OSD was enabled, works fine if you enable it only after the first level has fully loaded.

17. Immortal

Immortal Guest

GPU:
    GTX Titan X
    After some more testing it's not entirely gone but it's a big improvement for me.

If i enable it after i start Halo Wars 2 it's almost stable for me now. I could finish Skirmish map (took like 2 hours) with no problems.

It did crash eventually mid my second game but it was still like 40-50 minutes into the game.

18. gatecrasher

gatecrasher Guest

GPU:
    8GB GTX 1070
    Is there a reason that D3D12 does not use delayed injection by default?
    It was causing a conflict with the Steam Overlay for me in Hitman and I had to set "InjectionDelayDirect3D12 = 1" in the Global RTSS config.

EDIT: Sorry, it seems like this must have been a holdover from an older version.
    After deleting my global config and installing beta 2, this line is no longer present at all and just works.

19. Unwinder

I'm afraid I'm out of ideas with that Halo Wars 2 issue. Danil's log above indicates that the crashing is happening due to hung and subsequently removed D3D12 device, which is a sign of some D3D12 resource access synchronization conflict. However, OSD in D3D12 mode in not managing D3D12 resources explicitly and use Microsoft D3D11on12 interoperability. Which makes me really think that it is some kind of incompatibility between the game engine and D3D11on12 itself. I tried to reduce the risk of such conflicts by explicitly flushing D3D12 command queue on each frame in beta 3, but it still doesn't help to get rid of crashing according to your reports. So the only solution left is to try to remove D3D11on12 usage completely and port OSD to pure D3D12 instead. It will be useful anyway as it will make OSD a bit faster, because D3D11on12 adds some minor performance hit due to interoperatibility. But porting is not fast, it will take a couple of days.

20. knuckles84

knuckles84 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 Sea Hawk EK
    The first thing an most importent --> Thanks for you work!!!

So I have tried HW2 and on my System it crash too. It only works after if I start AB+RTSS after the Map is loaded. If the AB+RTSS is already started the game crash to the desktop after loading the Map.

Sorry for my poor English :-/