MSI AB / RTSS development news thread

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Unwinder, Feb 20, 2017.

1. dezo

dezo Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Unwinder: I don't have a single problem with the new release, RTSS is getting better and better. Great work man.
    That person you linked is just a paranoid bimbo, milions of them out there. I cancelled all direct interactions with users as a dev long time ago. You should have someone in between you and users to deal with these kind of people - to filter it for you. Believe or not there are people who can take this crap all day without breaking a sweat. I can't, pissed me off to no end the same as you.

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

The irony, but we have such "man in the middle", at least for MSI Afterburner part. According to our MSI AB project agreement there should be company PR employee in this section dealing with AB related user feedback, so I could effectively focus on development related things only. @msi-afterburner account belongs to PR which had to do that, and the account was pretty active in the beginning (in 2009-2010 when the project just started) but now it is completely dead, the last post is dated by 2017. I tried to push the company to resurrect PR account presence a few times with no major luck. And honestly I cannot blame them, because I see myself that 99% of users coming here are not MSI GPU owners. I try to cover that abandoned support part myself, but my time resources are pretty limited for that.
    Knowing that, it is twice sad to see "smart" gentlemen coming to each new AB / RTSS version thread and trying to give me a lesson of "doing my job" and "providing proper support". Two of them were banned in RTSS 7.3.4 news thread yesterday, and I'm sure that more of them will be attracted there and get their "rewards". After that such guys normally immediately run to Hilbert and start crying that they lost their lovely Guru3D account registered here sooooo many years ago. So part of such geniuses get ban lifted then eventually come back with the same crap to news threads. And that's a sitution with no light in the end of tunnel I'm afraid.

christantoan, toyo, The1 and 5 others like this.
  3. Kourinn

Kourinn New Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 6800
    Sorry if this is not the right thread for bug reports. If there's a better place, please let me know.

Bug: RTSS HotkeyHandler.dll cannot use higher function keys F13-F24.

Description: RTSS Hotkey handler properties will detect the F13 key press when setting hotkey, but the hotkey changes from "None" to blank/empty string "". In HotkeyHandler.cfg, the hotkey is correctly set to 0000007C, but pressing the key never activates the corresponding hotkey action. F1-F12 work correctly, only higher function keys F13-F24 do not work.

For reproduction without physical F13-F24 keys, run the following script with AHK v2 as administrator (right-click AHK file and click "Run as administrator") to convert F1-F12 to F13-24:

F13-F24.ahk
    Code:
    #Requires AutoHotkey v2.0
    F1::F13
    F2::F14
    F3::F15
    F4::F16
    F5::F17
    F6::F18
    F7::F19
    F8::F20
    F9::F21
    F10::F22
    F11::F23
    F12::F24

4. Unwinder

That is not a BUG, that is a feature request and no, I do not plan to support "extra" FN keys because such hotkeys are not supported by standart hotkey control and I don't use them on my side.

Kourinn likes this.

5. Kourinn

Kourinn New Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 6800
    Thanks for responding!

That's fair. I thought it was a bug because interface appeared to detect the keys. I also just saw that hotkey handler is open source, so I'll see if I can implement this or find a work-around for myself.

Edit: This was an easy fix to at least make the keys functional. Unwinder already seems to have done all the work for this. Changing line 172 in HotkeyListener.cpp to use raw input instead makes the keys detected:
    Code:
    m_hotkeyListener.SetMode(HOTKEYLISTENERMODE_RAWINPUT);
    Unfortunately, I wasn't able to figure out how to get F13-F24 key names to show up in plugin config dialogue. CHotkeyManager::GetHotkeyStr is never called (no debug output), so I am guessing it's being directly compiled into RTSS instead of calling from HotkeyHandler.dll.

Code:
    CString CHotkeyManager::GetHotkeyStr(DWORD dwHotkey)
    {
        OutputDebugString("CHotkeyManager::GetHotkeyStr");

Last edited: Apr 4, 2023
  6. Unwinder

You're looking into wrong place and doing wrong conclusions. It is not directly compiled into RTSS, and GetHotkeyStr is a debug method for dumping the list of defined hotkeys unused inside this project. Hotkey editing functionality is provided by native MFC hotkey editor control and you missed key part of my initial answer: "I do not plan to support "extra" FN keys because such hotkeys are not supported by standard hotkey control". I won't be writing my own custom hotkeys editor just to get those extra keys supported, I treat it as a waste of time considering that it is not something I need and will ever use. But you're free to try to do so. And let's stop on this inside this thread please.

7. Unwinder

We almost reached 100K download barrier for 7.3.4 in the first four days after launch:

upload_2023-4-6_13-59-38.png
    upload_2023-4-6_14-0-30.png

The only currently known bug of new version, which we missed during beta-testing stage is documented here, it is related to keyboard based layer position adjustment in OverlayEditor plugin when "Snap to grid" mode is disabled and lowest possible zooming ratio is set. It will be fixed in future builds, but if you absolutely need to disable "Snap to grid" and tune layer positions from the keyboard - you may do it in the current version by simply increasing zoom ratio to level 2 or higher.
    The second known issue is not directly related to RTSS, it is ESET antivitus related and it is documented here. ESET's "secure all browsers" feature doesn't recognize new RTSS version yet so it slows down the system by endless attempts to "protect" browser from unknown application build. It will be eventually addressed automatically when more users submit new version to ESET and they finally whitelist new version as known application.

8. Unwinder

In AB 4.6.5 beta 6 release notes the following feature is mentioned without providing full details on purpose to leave it to be discoverable by power users only:

It is always nice to see how experienced users find correct answers themselves. Yes, it is correct way how it is supposed to work:

Latest MSI Afterburner Betas & Updates - Page 78 - Windows 10 Forums (tenforums.com)

9. Haldi

Haldi Master Guru

GPU:
    R9-290 CF
    That's actually the only point where i agree with him.
    Just imagine you cross the streets tomorrow and get run over by a car.
    Would MSI be willing to spend lots of money on other devs to analyse and continue this Project?

But oh well. Not like that is any better on Open Source software.^^
    Most of them just get completely forgotten on github with last changes 12 years ago and stuff.

Well... honestly...
    No matter how much I would get paid I'd never take such a job...
    I'm active in quite a few forums and over the past 5-10 years (IMHO with the upcoming and growth of reddit) I've seen a decline of "discussions" and a change into the direction of asking for help without doing anything.
    Especially bad on XDA.
    You have my utmost respect for answering most of the questions asked in here without going insane from answering the Same thing over and over again.

In that regards I'm truly looking forward to ChatGPT being competent enough to provide in depth technical support without having to read through hundreds of forum pages.

Unwinder and Aserback like this.
  10. iVasia

iVasia Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti
    Insane work! You drive me crazy!

11. Unwinder

I'm afraid that was the last straw. I asked HH to remove moderator's rights from my account one more time. The flow of new users coming here with "don't waste my time by providing links, give me personal answer one more time" attitude is growing up and I have zero ways to stop that. And both users who had fun trolling and derailing 7.3.4 thread were already returned back to forum and will continue doing the same in future.

christantoan likes this.
  12. lextra2

lextra2 Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 5700
    You could make a repository on github where you upload builds of afterburner/rtss and use that repository as a forum. That way you stay 100% in charge. (Uploading any code there isn't a requirement, plenty of projects do exactly this already).

13. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    Maybe I don't get what you mean, but he does not want to be involved with the normal end user. As I understand him he wants MSI to fulfill their contract and have an active community manager in this forum and he in person only get summarized, reproducible and verified reports of bugs to fix them.

Unwinder likes this.
  14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    even if msi fullfiled there obligation , it would not stop people from NOT using search and and NOT bothering to read, and bad mouthing it or for matter spreading lies. I been using RTSS for as long as a been thing, i and seen crap go on for decades i get why unwinder is the way they are. it free program they provide to gaming community that probably universal use by all. yet unwinder put up with this stuff none less. I would of gave up years ago closed project or at very lest had these form hidden from 99% user any only people allowed to leave feedback where people that were trusted to test it. I too wuold take it as insult if user that did that where banned then unbanned just to do again. they justifed for being they way they are. and anyone they was in there position hear all this stuff constently would be too. Never mind all the other stuff unwinder put up with over the years, never mind the EVGA crap thay went dont few years ago.

Unwinder likes this.
  15. Klemc

Klemc Master Guru

GPU:
    4070-ti ARGB - PNY
    Hello, i hope i won't bother you,

i will install RTSS, but for GPU OC i think to use the PNY's tool instead (VelocityX), it can turn OFF RGB too :p

I own 4070ti non-OC Verto XLR8, as ABurner dev, what do you think of the PNY OC tool/app ?

Thanks for all, RTSS, AB...

16. Unwinder

I never tried any PNY's software and I cannot comment it, sorry.

17. dexterav

dexterav Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 4090 OC
    soft from GW, PNY, Asus etc is good only for setup RGB :D
    i allways try another soft but AB/RTSS is the best for me

18. Unwinder

All

Let's switch discussion from support related chaos, which is traditionally surrounding every single new official release, to something more pleasant and useful: news about my future RTSS development plans. Probably many experienced AB/RTSS users noticed that it requires and installs VC++ 2008 runtimes, which means that I use Visual Studio 2008 IDE to develop, debug and compile both projects. I purchased licensed box version of VS 2008 more than 15 years ago special for Afterburner project and it served me well all that time:

upload_2023-4-10_16-37-17.png

I continued using VS 2008 IDE till now and prefered it over newer MS IDE versions all these years due to one major reason: backward compatibility. VS 2008 is pretty lightweight comparing to modern IDEs and can be installed in offline mode in just a couple minutes on any modern or ancient OS, even Windows XP. And yes, one of my home PCs is still Windows XP based and I periodically use it for backward compatinbility testing. Regardless of its age VS 2008 can still be installed on Windows 11 and currently it does the job under it just fine, but one day it will eventually completely stop working on new OS version or some hardware vendor's SDK (e.g. NVAPI) will stop supporting it. So at some point it will be absolutely necessary for both projects to migrate to new IDE version. Recent news about Valve discontinuing Win 7-8 support in the end of this year tell me that it is probably good time to switch, because a lot of gamers will be forced to migrate to Win 10+ due to that step from Valve so backward compatibility with pre-Win 10 OS versions will become less important.
    The best timeframe for migration to different IDE version is immediately after official RTSS release, which allows me to release the build with no functionality changes at all, just recompiled under different IDE, so we can nail down any possible compiler related issues if any. That's what I was doing during weekends: I ported RTSS to VS 2022 and new experimental RTSS 7.3.5 beta 1 (which is official 7.3.4 source code rebuild under Visual Studio 2022) is ready and I'm already testing it internally, I'll make it online soon. The pros and cons are:

Pros:
    - There are no immediate advantages for end users at the moment, swicth to new compiler is future proof change
    - Installer no longer needs to install legacy VC++ 2008 runtimes so installation process ends faster
    - All SDK samples and plugins are also build with VS 2022 now. So it will be easier to build custom versions of plugins if you experiment with RTSS SDK (e.g. modify OverlayEditor), it is no longer necessary to search for old VS 2008 IDE

Cons:
    - VC++ 2015-2022 runtimes are now included in installer instead of VC++ 2008 runtimes, and sadly they are much larger. RTSS intaller size increased more than twice, from approximately 23MB to 49MB
    - Windows XP support is gone. RTSS won't even start under this OS now

SanokKule, lextra2, The1 and 11 others like this.
  19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    sound good, the VS change dont matter much to me though I all ready install most VC stuff threw an all in one installer. and the size increase is irreverent to me any way 49mb download is nothing these days and i doubt it would matter much most people too.

toyo likes this.
  20. toyo

toyo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    The size increase is largely irrelevant as it was already a small app. I think the site should keep hosting a WinXP compatible version if possible, as there are quite a few nostalgia gamers that build PCs with older hardware. Nice nostalgia DVD for VS 2008 too, don't throw it away!