MSI AB / RTSS development news thread

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Unwinder, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Task manager is usually wrong about gpu usage, theres no point trying to figure it out

these days its often wrong about cpu usage.

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

You don't need to work anything out, it is not a case of broken game either. It is a case of comparing taks manager's GPU usage counter to NV's hardware counter. They are not physically reflecting the same things supposed to match.

3. Nelly D Gamer

Nelly D Gamer Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti
    What I meant was I'll try to find out why the game isn't fully utilising the GPU, the 980 is pretty old and almost every game I've tried so far has fully pushed it to its limit, newer cards aren't having the same issue so it might just be not properly optimised for older GPU's

Thanks for the help guys :)

4. Gatsu_

Gatsu_ New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Hi, everyone. @Unwinder thanks for your wonderful work with RTSS.

Could someone explain to me why there is so massive FPS drop when using NVENC recording throught RTSS vs recording with OBS (same or similar settings) ? I did a little digging yesterday and I found old posts about that RTSS capture game/display diffrently, is this still a thing ?
    Or mayby my setup is just borked?

Testing done with Witcher3 (running with DLDSR, but it also happens on native res, on RTX3080):
    No recording -> 104 fps
    OBS recording -> 100 fps
    RTSS recording -> 55 fps

witcher3 testing 2022-03-01 141219.png

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    OBS uses NFVB

6. lextra2

lextra2 Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 5700
    @Unwinder
    Since GPU core voltages work in increments of 0.00625, would it be possible to add a setting that has invalid values be auto-corrected?

For example:
    Valid values:
    1.100v
    1.10625v
    1.11250v
    1.11875v
    1.125v
    etc.

Invalid values:
    (Basically any value that does not follow the pattern above)
    1.104v
    1.110v
    etc.

So if you were to enter an invalid value into the UI field for the highest voltage point, lets say 1.110v, it would auto-correct to the next highest value, in this case 1.11250v

7. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Just use shadowplay

8. Im_Special

Im_Special Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1070 6GB
    Really sorry to bother, but I've been really super busy with so many thing right now I cannot even find the time to post here really... and to read back massive amounts of new posts since last checking in... that's life I guess.

Anyway I had a super quick question, I want to say that ~since the Windows 10 March "patch Tuesday" patch, I've encountered this a few times on reboot., not always but maybe 1 in 4, any ideas? I tried clearing the cache but it still happens it seems. Doesn't seem to affect anything though, I just dismiss it and everything still seems to be in order... but I don't like ignoring the problem either.

https://i.imgur.com/5EjgYXU.png

(using MSI 4.6.4 and RTSS 7.3.3)

Thanks in advance!

9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
  10. Im_Special

Im_Special Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1070 6GB
    I don't have any of that checked on mine, I use a local account, I have no such thing as a Microsoft account either.

11. Gatsu_

Gatsu_ New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    With all that GF Experience crap, no thank you :) I'm using OBS, the only downside is that I need to fire it up before gaming.

12. Zerberus80

Zerberus80 New Member

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3070 TI
    I did the same, but the values are not displayed.

13. Unwinder

You didn’t, otherwise it would work. Try harder.

14. pneumatic

pneumatic Member

GPU:
    R9270
    Hello Unwinder! Nice to finally meet the author of RTSS & thank you for this incredible tool which I have loved using for many years.

I presume version 7.3.3 included with the latest Afterburner is your code?

I am currently using scanline sync with Dolphin emulator for low latency @ 59.94hz fixed refresh rate. It seems to work quite well with many games which have consistent rendering times, eg. Mario Galaxy, NSMBW & Trackmania. In these games the tear line really stays put and I never see it.

I do notice when enabling scanline sync, the CPU usage on one core becomes quite high -- is it possible to apply "passive waiting" to scanline sync? Perhaps it already is applied, but just wanted to check.

Dolphin is a bit unusual in that it doesn't have asynchronous rendering -- frame rate limiting affects the whole speed of emulation and can result in occasional stutters and subtle audio artefacts. So it really shouldn't be used with Dolphin, but there are many Wii games which still play nice with it.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2022
  15. Unwinder

You may enable hybrid scanline sync mode, it combines functionality of classic scanline sync with framerate limiter, so it allows passive waiting.

pneumatic likes this.

16. pneumatic

pneumatic Member

GPU:
    R9270
    Thank you that worked and CPU usage is back to normal level.

Of course, it is harder to keep the tear line to remain still as the passive waiting is not as accurate as active busy loop. But that is to be expected :)

The harder issue is that the tear line will slowly start to move up/down the screen if framerate limit isn't precisely = monitor refresh rate. Even being off by 0.001fps means the tear line will travel half the vertical screen in only 8.3 minutes! We have to be extremely precise. vsynctester.com may come in handy, else we will do trial and error. edit: nevermind, saw the "show own statistics" Present value which we can use there instead :)

I was wondering though -- have you noticed the tear line direction is different between NVidia and AMD? My last 2 AMD GPUs seemed like they fill the frame buffer from bottom to top instead of top to bottom, so if rendered fps > refresh rate, tear line would move would up instead of down. edit: in the post you wrote that tear line should move up if rendered fps > refresh rate, which means frame buffer is always filled from bottom to top?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2022
  17. pneumatic

pneumatic Member

GPU:
    R9270
    It appears the timer precision is insufficient on my system for doing hybrid scanline sync, since:

59.938327fps = Present increasing 1 line / sec
    59.938328fps = Present decreasing 1 line / 5sec

Is it possible for hybrid scanline sync to perhaps force a scanline resync once every n seconds?

18. Unwinder

Check global profile template, such setting is already inside. It is set to resync position in hybrid mode every 30 seconds by default as far as I remember.

pneumatic likes this.
  19. pneumatic

pneumatic Member

GPU:
    R9270
    Ah yes so it does -- I just wasn't watching it long enough :)

It appears to be 60 seconds by default, which is sufficient, but I am still curious to know what the profile value name is as I only have: SyncScanline0, SyncScanline1, SyncPeriods, SyncLimiter.

Another question if I may: with Dolphin emulator, it runs all games under process name Dolphin.exe, so I can't create per-game profiles to turn on scanline sync for the games that play nicely with it.

So I'm trying to automate the profile changes myself, so when I double click my game icon it runs my batch file to set some RTSS profile settings, then launch the game.

It seems that when I write new settings to Profiles\Dolphin.exe.cfg, RTSS sees the changes to the file. Is this correct -- is RTSS monitoring the file for changes in real time? Should I restart RTSS.exe after modifying Profiles\Dolphin.exe.cfg? I have tried that with Taskkill /im RTSS.exe but it seems unreliable.

20. Unwinder

I mentioned that it is located in global profile _template_. You’re looking for the setting in wrong place, in profiles created by application GUI.
    And no, RTSS is not monitoring profile files for changes. It reads application specific profiles on target application startup.

pneumatic likes this.