MSI AB / RTSS development news thread

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Unwinder, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

No, it will not, if you reread post slowly and carefully. 125% DPI font will stay as it is now. I'm glad that you don't find _such_ old font distorted, I have a different point of view. There is no way back to it, let's stop debating on it in this thread please, I already blamed myself 1000 times for listerning to other user's request and agreeing to make any changes related to tray icon fonts in the previous build.

[​IMG]

2. Manujito

Manujito New Member

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Ok there may have been a misunderstanding. I was replying to and thanking the user saying that he found the "fix" by overriding the scaling in the .exe properties.
    You then replied to my message saying that the scheduled changes won't help me, and I thought you meant to say that with future updates that method wouldn't work anymore.
    I read about those changes and understand that nothing will change for 125% scaling, and it's fine for me as long as I can fix it as I just did, with the scaling override.

So everything is fine, I understood what you meant, no need to debate this any further.

P.S. that screenshot was clearly very compressed. It's nowhere near as blurry as it seems :)

3. DarkestSpawn

DarkestSpawn New Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    Is there anything I can provide to get CPU Temp support for the Ryzen Threader Ripper 3960X to the CPU.dll?

4. Unwinder

5. Unwinder

And one more built-in overlay layout in the next RTSS beta. This one is purely benchmark oriented, no sensors & hardware monitoring, just framerate/frametime analysis. It includes autoscaling frametime graph (minimum zooming is 33ms, maximum is unliminted) allowing you to see more details in "flat" graphs and allowing you to see how big are the stutters. One more useful feature it provides is a realtime slowest framerates distribution graph. Such distribution graph shows the worst frames rendered during becnmarking session and dynamically highlights zone containing 1% of the most slowest frames (I use integral percentile calc mode in my example, so 1% is 1% of total benchmark time). Framerate on the left boundary of this highlighted zone is 1% low framerate. Such realtime visualization will give better understanding of 1% low fps nature to many users. Also, RTSS provides settings allowing you to select different ways of 1%/0.1% low framerate metrics calculation, it will be easier to understand how they work with such visualisation enabled. Such settings currently include linear/integral percentile calculation mode in beta 5, but beta 6 will introduce one more option affecting 1%/0.1% low fps metrics calculation. This new option is called "Percentile buffer", it allows switching between unlimited and rolling ring buffer modes. Unlimited mode is preferred if you manually start benchmarking session with a hotkey. Ring mode can be preferred if you permanently keep the benchmark mode enabled and want to see 1% and 0.1% low metrics reflecting just a few last seconds of gameplay.

Also, to implement this layout I needed to add two new hypertext tags: <GRMIN> and <GRMAX>. New tags are intended for displaying minimum and maximum limits of the last embedded graph object (so keep it in mind when using them in your overlays, Z-order is important in this case). Using these new tags I display dynamic limits of autoscaling frametime and 1% low graphs.

vlad[54rus], SpajdrEX, Andy_K and 4 others like this.
  6. Unwinder

Hypertext edit field in layer properties window of OverlayEditor is getting multiline support in the next beta. It will be more convenient to work with layers containing multiple embedded objects:

upload_2021-10-13_16-54-25.png

ParKur, Andy_K, realghostvids and 2 others like this.
  7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    @Unwinder do you have an idea why some competitor utilities end up with a 24% performance target when performing a driver update with them open, i've never seen Afterburner as reported as being affected by it but every dang time a driver release comes around theres atleast 50 people complaining that everything is slower and it always comes back to the performance target value.

8. Unwinder

What is 24% performance target? Probably there is a typo and you mean power target?

9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Derp, yep Power Target.

10. Unwinder

Most likely they are trying to read current power target via NVAPI (which cannot report it while the driver is unloaded), don't check the result to ensure that real power target was reported then save this wrong value as startup settings. No ideas where 24% magic number comes from in such case, probably uninitialized stack variable.

11. Unwinder

Noticed a problem with RTSS videocapture module when trying to capture Forza Horizon 4 gameplay with it for one of my previous posts, captured video stream was stuttery till unwatchable state. The problem was specific to this game D3D12 engine, it is rendering more than 3 frames ahead so default RTSS 3 frame D3D12 videocapture queue depth was not enough to provide smooth stream. It will be solved in the next beta by extending D3D12 videocapture queue depth from 3 to 8 frames. The previous video was captured after applying such fix.

SpajdrEX, ParKur, gedo and 1 other person like this.
  12. terry_bogard_sv

terry_bogard_sv Active Member

GPU:
    AMD RX 6800 16GB
    Hi Unwinder, I've been doing more tests with hybrid scanline sync and have found something interesting. Instead of using blurbusters refresh rate tool to find my screen refresh I have been using pixel clock calculator (https://www.monitortests.com/pixelclock.php) to create some custom resolutions that have (in theory) perfect 60hz or 120hz, when using these resolutions I only set the framelimit to 120 or 60 and scanline sync to "1" and the sync line will position at the top of the screen and won't move from there (obviously not while maintaining < 100% gpu utilization) if I try moving the sync line like trying to hide it below the screen it will move a lot. From there I just enable enhanced sync or vsync, I might take some input lag hit, but it's ok as long as the stutters dissapear. I have been using this with some games at 120fps (my tv does 4k@120hz and 4:2:0 using cru) and it is great.

13. dezo

dezo Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080s
    While testing NV driver 496.13 I think I found a reason for the metioned behaviour. Seems like a bug with NV limiter: GPU doesn't switch to the highest power state when the Power Management Mode in driver is set to Optimal and the driver limiter is active. It even drops FPS because of that with much higher GPU usage but lower temperature and lower power draw. As soon as I set Max. Performance for the game, power draw with NV limiter is exactly the same as with RTSS...

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
  14. Unwinder

I'm not OBS user myself, but I've got informed that OBS game capture no longer works if RTSS is running in background since launching version OBS 27.1.0. So I investigated it a bit, compatibility regress is caused by switching from custom hooks implementations to Microsoft Detours hooks mechanism in 27.1.0. It needs some tweaks to improve compatibility with third party hooks, I left post with recommended changes @ OBS forum:

Detours based injection in 27.1.0 and compatibility with third party hooks | OBS Forums (obsproject.com)

SalamatiQus and toyo like this.
  15. Unwinder

In addition to the previous post:
    After short discussion in OBS forum I have no confidence that their new Detours based hooking implementation will ever get an improvement and safe hook chaining support. So I'll provide a workaround for OBS 27.1.0+ users from my side in the next beta. I'll add "Use Microsoft Detours API hooking" option, which will simply switch RTSS from its own hooking engine to the same hooking model OBS uses now. It won't help RTSS itself, its own hooking engine is more robust anyway and can hook anything in conjunction with third party hooks of different architecure, but it will allow such third party apps like OBS, which rely on vanila Detours implementation, to coexist with RTSS.

toyo, SpajdrEX and SalamatiQus like this.

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    typical "we're not gunna do anything that benefits our users unless the change is fed to us on a silver platter response" by rcdrone.

17. Unwinder

I don't think so. OBS is the same hobbyist pet project as RTSS, it is not their obligation to follow anyone's development suggestions and feature requests.

Dan Longman likes this.
  18. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    @Unwinder , you should probably include a profile for EA's new desktop client (EADesktop.exe) in new RTSS versions:

[​IMG]

19. Unwinder

Done, added to built-in exclusions list.

20. ParKur

ParKur Member

GPU:
    RTX 3090/RTX 2080Ti
    Is it possible to add the overlay output location to RTSS not only along the edges, but also in the center on top/top/left/right?