MSI AB / RTSS development news thread

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Unwinder, Feb 20, 2017.

1. DNB

DNB New Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6900 XT
    I meant whats the usefulness of it if it just shows the resolution? I'm trying to figure out where that would be helpful to show on the OSD.

Thats fine if its too hard to make a dynamic version of it, was just excited when I first saw it listed as a feature.

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

No usefulness, ignore it. i just add useless nonsense.

3. DNB

DNB New Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6900 XT
    Well I'll try a 3rd time.. I'm asking you what your intended usage was for it. I don't see one but clearly you do so I'm asking what your use case was. I'm wondering if there is a good reason to use it that I'm not considering is all.

4. D1stRU3T0R

D1stRU3T0R Master Guru

GPU:
    8 GB
    Extend officia overclock support doesn't work anymore with the latest 21.4.1 driver, at least on laptops (RX550 dGPU and R7 integrated)

5. Unwinder

What about RTFM? Release notes is clearly declaring that laptops are not officially supported platforms. Context help for that option is also explicitly declaring that neither MSI nor AMD will provide you ANY support for this optoin, it is not official functionality. You're ignoring both factors. I'm not even talking that I asked a lot of times to avoid using this thread for general troubleshooting questions. No need to continue it in this thread please.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
  6. Unwinder

Instead of bumping the same question 3 times in a row, you could easily answer it yourself after thinking just a bit. What is intended usage for %CPU%/%GPU%/%RAM%/%Driver% macroses? You know your system specs, they are static and do not change dynamically so they are "useless" for monitoring from your POV. They are intended for those who want to stream gameplay and show system specs to those who watch it. <RES> plays exactly the same role.

orangewoolcry likes this.
  7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    What is the CVAR for this btw, a quick glance over the global template didn't seem obvious to me.

8. Unwinder

It is PassiveWaitThreshold. It is set to 90 by default, which means that 90% of each wait period is done by passive waiting (high precision timer event based sleep) and the rest 10% are spent in active busy wait loop. You may set it to 0 to force RTSS to spend 100% of each wait period in busy wait loop.

9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I can apply it per profile then?

the passive mode may be connected to an unusual framerate deviation (on my system) when playing FFXIV, and using async limiting depending on cpu util, particularly where character objects are high.
    in a situation that can maintain 63+fps (upwards to 80 depending on character/object counts) without a limit, when a 60fps limit is applied i see dips beneath 60 in the range of 57-60 and occasionally lower, with backedge its 59-60.

Quite interesting and might be unique to MMO's where cpu util can change drastically - i've been using the rtss frame limiter to run it at 60fps for a long time, since the in game limiter doesn't work properly in borderless window, and i'd poked everything else before wanting to consider if it might be in conjunction with RTSS.

10. Unwinder

Yes, it can be applied per profile of course. Despite lower CPU usage of passive waiting mode is treated as absolute advantage by many users and even reviewers (especially thise who try to compare “efficiency” of different framerate limiters by CPU load), in fact 100% busy waiting mode can be preferred in some cases when in-game CPU load change drastically depending on scene. Such CPU load variations also cause CPU clocks fluctuations and variable CPU render timings as a result. In this case active busy waiting in framerate limiter just causes constant CPU load and it effectively cures unnecessary CPU clock frequency fluctuations. So it is the best friend of proper framepacing.

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Awesome, i can see in realtime by adjusting the profile and reapplying the framelimit,

around 8% on my 4.2Ghz x5690 with default passive wait period.
    around 12% with active wait.

or 17 and 20% respectively in a city hub.

It would be great someday if some of these power use settings could be given a GUI.

12. terry_bogard_sv

terry_bogard_sv Active Member

GPU:
    AMD RX 6800 16GB
    So.. PassiveWaitThreshold=100 in the game profile?? I would like to test this in some of my games and see how they behave.

13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    PassiveWaitThreshold=0

terry_bogard_sv likes this.
  14. terry_bogard_sv

terry_bogard_sv Active Member

GPU:
    AMD RX 6800 16GB
    thanks!

15. Unwinder

Guys,

New MSI Afterburner 4.6.4 Beta 3 is around the corner. I rarely say that, but this build is useless for 99% of application users, the main reason behind releasing Beta 3 it is politics. MSI forced us to release new version urgently out of schedule because of China/Taiwan tension, the company wanted to remove China/Taiwan flags next to Traditional/Simplified Chinese languages listed in MSI Afterburner GUI. I tried to defend the flags for the rest languages, but the company insists on removing them all because of this tension. So my deep apologies goes to third party localization creators, who created Dutch, French, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Spanish, Turkish and Ukrainian language localizations for MSI Afterburner. I understand that national pride and feelings of each of you may be hurt after seeing your country flag removed from your localization pack. It is not my choice, I did everything to defend and leave your flags inside application GUI.

DaRkL3AD3R, Haldi, Kaminari and 8 others like this.

16. EriksR

EriksR Member

GPU:
    RX580 Nitro+ 4GB
    MSI appeasing the CCP? Who knew.

17. Unwinder

Wrong. If it was the case, they'd just remove Taiwan flag displayed for Traditional Chinese and force the same flags usage for Traditional and Simplified Chinese. Quite opposite, they are trying to be tolerant do not take either side.

DaRkL3AD3R, nizzen and toyo like this.
  18. orangewoolcry

orangewoolcry Member Guru

GPU:
    geforce 680 gtx
    @Unwinder , welps .....ive been good and havent been posting too much recently as youve requested , i hope im allowed to post a few requests then i really need, id still love a dynamic frequency/HZ display readout in the fashion of <RES> ....like for example maybe <HZ> , would put that final touch on my RTSS OSD Skin, ever since Madflor added HZ ...but in a manual set function... i wanted it, id kill for that, also youre the only one that could do so , ive even posted a request thread over at hw64....but other than another guy being also interested in it ....no dev reply sadly , i know ...i know , i ask alot , but youd really do me a full on solid with this final one, also ive been having a quite frustrating issue with pcsx2 , using Opengl hardware rendering , only 2D OSD shows, which is not good , when i select any 3D options .....OSD dont show , a fix would also be VERY appreciated and sorry for being such a bother as usual

p.s > @ the guy that wanted to know why such features as <RES> get integrated....first off it was my request lols ....second off ...why the frack not? the more options the more ways to get better input on current happenings ...the better , but this only people that work with said readouts and require them for such things as trouble shooting ....comparing , also making sure programs...games etc are running as should , would understand, also as mentioned by Unwinder ...for streaming purposes etc.

p.s.s one last thing ....i still havent managed to change the time display to this format Date and time representation Thu Aug 23 14:55:02 2001, ....help would be appreciated

Last edited: May 21, 2021
  19. orangewoolcry

orangewoolcry Member Guru

GPU:
    geforce 680 gtx
    well not sure if youve even tested...it IS dynamic

20. Digika

Digika Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670
    Interesting. I wonder how bad it affects the game performance if it already utilizes 90-95% of CPU