MSI AB / RTSS development news thread

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Unwinder, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Mexeqwoh

Mexeqwoh New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia
    In my case i prefer rtss over nvidia control panel framerate limiter (personaly rtss limiter feel smoothly).
    Also i meet this issue only with lasts RTSS 7.3.0 beta 7 build 23717 and RTSS 7.3.0 beta 8 build 23844 with both 456.98 and 457.09 drivers and 457.17 vulkan beta driver.
    In same time there no this issue in Doom Eternal which vulkan only.

2. Ok, i have understood. Thank you for answering me politely and kindly

3. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    I feel bad not being here and cracking heads

4. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

I’ll continue developing and updating RTSS and AB in my usual rhythm, but this thread will remain read only place and I’ll post development related news here and document everything you need to know. So take it as my single-sided form of talking to users. If you used to read this thread carefully, there won’t be major changes for you. You’ll find all specifics related to new versions here just like before.

For the rest things and direct talks with new end users, coming here with “I need your answers now and don’t care about the rest” mindset, any forms of direct communications from my side are suspended. For MSI GPU owners we had official company PR rep account (@msi-afterburner) here, which was online special to provide support to application users. But activity on that account decreased to zero during the last few years and it got completely abandoned, so there are no more company employees online. You may try official MSI forums to contact the company. And other brand GPU owners can help each other, like in any other community. So let it be.

All

Dirt 5 will be offcially launched soon, please read the following notes if you want to use it in conjunction with RTSS overlay.
    Steam overlay implementation in this game conflicts with RTSS and may cause crash on application start because of hook race condition. To prevent that, it is is critically important to start RTSS _after_ Steam overlay finished loading and hooking DirectX runtime. The game starts rather slowly (up to a minute on mid-range PCs), so it can be necessary to increase RTSS injection delay (which is set to 15 seconds in RTSS properties) on your side. Also it is important to create the follwing RTSS profile template for Dirt 5 to ensure that delayed injection is also forced for Direct3D12 runtime entry points:

dirt5.exe.cfg

Code:
    [Hooking]
    InjectionDelayDirect3D12 = 1

MDKpt, Andy_K and SpajdrEX like this.

5. Unwinder

That's a result of introducing passive waiting in framerate limiter. Some games may alter timer precision on the fly or run higher priority tasks in other threads, so busy waiting is still preferable for them for maximum timing precision. Set PassiveWaitThreshold to 0 in Global profile to switch back to 100% busy waiting implementation.

Mexeqwoh likes this.
  6. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 Suprim
    Hey Unwinder!! I really appreciate all the hard work you do on MSI Afterburner & RTSS!! Been a long timer user of both programs and honestly I don't think I could do without them been a god send for me with Gsync and it's frame limiter feature. Anyway I believe I found a bug in the new RTSS beta, details are below.

Using RTSS 7.3.0 beta 8 build 23844 and Afterburner 4.6.3 Beta 3, with the Video Capture feature in Afterburner. If you enable the frame rate limit option in Afterburner and attempting to capture a video it will hard lock the game. I tried 5 different games and all exhibit the same symptom of a complete hard lock: Red Dead Redemption 2, Ori and the Blind Forest, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Doom Eternal and Metro Exodus. At that point just have to ctrl+alt+del and kill the task.

If I disable the frame rate limit option in Afterburner the video capture will work just fine, no lock up and the video file will capture without issue. I'm guessing this is possibly related with the changes to the fps limiter in RTSS in Beta 8?

[​IMG]

[UPDATE]

I did a little more digging at this after my initial post... some of those games will capture just fine if I delete the existing RTSS profile I had with a fps limit. Doom Eternal worked after removing the profile for video capture but the fps limit set in Afterburner didn't apply at all and stayed uncapped.

RDR2 would just lockup no matter what if you have the frame rate limit option in Afterburner turned on with or without a profile in RTSS.

I'm not exactly sure what could be causing that but for now just turned off the Framerate limit in Afterburner. Not sure if my troubleshoot here is really any help at all. But thought I'd detail a few things I tried.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
  7. Unwinder

Reproduced, it is a bug in video capture framerate limit calculation introduced in beta 8 during porting timing calculations from floating point to integer math. It will be fixed in the next beta.

Andy_K, The1, Astyanax and 2 others like this.
  8. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 Suprim
    Thanks for the quick reply and update. No rush on the fix or anything glad you could reproduce the issue.

9. Mexeqwoh

Mexeqwoh New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Tnx a lot for asap reaction, I correct understand that i should manual add Set PassiveWaitThreshold=0 to RTSS global profile config file (if so there no matter under which section in config it added or not?) or am blind and dump and there in ui way to do it?

10. Unwinder

You don’t have to add it manually, it is already inside .\ProfileTemplates\Global file and it is set to 90 by default. Such configuration means that 90% of each wait period is spent inside passive waiting and the rest 10% is spent in active busy-waiting. Set it to 0 to disable passive waiting and spend 100% of each wait period in active busy-waiting just like it was in the previous version.

11. mdrejhon

mdrejhon Member Guru

GPU:
    4 Flux Capacitors in SLI
    Silver lining for users who are frustrated: Think of it as a positive compliment that MSI Afterburner isn't brandlocked only to MSI product.

The fact MSI Afterburner works with non-MSI product is just a side effect of the free software being permissive-by-accident to be used on non-MSI product.

Tech support would be easier if brandlocked, it is called MSI AfterBurner, after all. But the tech audience around here will generally cry foul on post-brand-locking long after so many version-release horses left the barn. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. View this from the positive angle.

From all ultra high framerate users, recipients of early NDA prototypes, and high-Hz researchers, thank you!

I realize a cap is there to prevent end users screwing up the cap -- fortunately an excessively high cap is essentially a kind of fail-safe -- since an excessively high cap just behaves the same as uncapped -- thus low risk of user complaints of raising cap a year or more in advance of expected ultra Hz product.

And Unwinder, although I am more diplomatic to my fans, I totally understand your frustration. Hang in there. The unspeakable year between "2019" and "2021" has enough stress load for everybody. Especially when already-anxiously stressed users who may ...ahem... "inadvertently" treat "tech support" as a stress exhaust vent pipe. </TechSupportHumor>

Focus on sailing the wonderful RTSS ship instead. :)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
    Unwinder and anDrasch like this.
  12. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    May I ask if BlurBusters will take a look at the new scanline syncing methods introduced by Unwinder in the latest RTSS release? I've been experimenting myself, and they seem to bring more to the table in terms of smoothing out frametimes.

13. mdrejhon

mdrejhon Member Guru

GPU:
    4 Flux Capacitors in SLI
    Would you like to post your findings here or the Scanline Sync thread at Blur Busters Forums (just so I can have all RTSS stuff in one place).

I have many projects running concurrently (including the 360Hz monitor + 8000Hz mouse + RTX 3080 upgrade combo for a November article) but I would like to have another crack at an RTSS Scanline Sync HOWTO for mainstream consumption. Any new easter egg discoveries will allow quicker surgical targetting of worthwhile FAQ inclusion.

14. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    I reported this to Unwinder shortly after the 3080 was released, he gave me a good answer (https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/rtss-6-7-0-beta-1.412822/page-129#post-5833891). My workaround was simply to set a higher fan % since the program would decrease it anyway (in my case by about 15%).

I'm using v4.6.3.15840 Beta 2 and if there is a newer version, I haven't tested it yet.

15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Beta 3 compiled last month, he changed it so custom settings disable normalization.

16. r_beans

r_beans Member

GPU:
    Unwinder, I've managed to track some BSODs to third-party GPU fan control (MSI Afterburner, Argus Monitor) on my RTX 3080 (Gigabyte Vision OC).

If third party GPU fan control is active and starts with the PC, putting the computer to sleep with a full screen video playing can cause (on wake up) Windows Explorer crashes, and sometimes BSOD's pointing to the NVIDIA driver.

This behaviour can be reproduced when using custom GPU fan control with MSI Afterburner or with Argus Monitor (only one of them running at a time for testing).

I've reported this to the developer of Argus Monitor and know you are active on this thread so that's why I'm posting it here.

Hope you can take a look at it.

Thanks.

EDIT: This is off topic, checking the NVIDIA forums there are people reporting that this started with 457.09, so not an Afterburner issue. Sorry.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
  17. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    the fan control is via nvapi, so your complaint is with nvidia afaik

@ManuelG

Andy_K likes this.
  18. r_beans

r_beans Member

GPU:
    I've sent a report via their driver feedback form, it seems that the more difficult the return from sleep is (video/audio playing, video outputs changed and etc.) the more likely this is to happen.

It could be somehow related to G-SYNC Compatible as well, turning my S2421DGF on before wake up, to a system that had it off before sleep managed to trigger BSOD's 9 out 10 times.

But if software GPU fan control is not active, I can not reproduce this no matter how hard I try.

EDIT: This is off topic, checking the NVIDIA forums there are people reporting that this started with 457.09, so not an Afterburner issue. Sorry.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
  19. Unwinder

Please don’t use this thread for solving your issues unrelated to new versions development. I don’t know how many times do I repeat it. I do it on almost every page of this thread. Leave this thread for development related news only PLEASE.

r_beans likes this.
  20. r_beans

r_beans Member

GPU:
    Sorry, it was indeed off topic, I will leave my report here so that people can find it when they google the issue.

Thanks for your continuous effort developing MSI Afterburner and RTSS.