MSI AB / RTSS development news thread

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Unwinder, Feb 20, 2017.

1. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Huh. At a first glimpse, it seems new edge sync modes are pure magic when combined with Enhanced Sync. Old async mode introduced stutter when combined with it, but new modes seem to be ~entirely free of stutter when I limit to 85fps (for exact 85Hz) in Strange Brigade with both DX12 and Vulkan. It also seems to stay completely stable (= 0 tearing/stutter) until a frame time indeed is higher than refresh rate.
    Going to test it in DX11...

Edit: In BFV it works worse with DX11 than with DX12, the former can stutter before GPU reaches 100%.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  2. terry_bogard_sv

terry_bogard_sv Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 6800 16GB
    Thanks for explaining, I'll do some new tests when I get home tonight.

Maybe in the future would be great to track sync line direction and increase/decrease frame limit depending on it, or some external tool to send key combinations automatically would do as well.

EDIT:

Ok, after playing with the refresh I got to send it downwards by putting 59.988 as the framelimit, now the tearline slowly needs to travel 3k+ lines before reaching the top of the screen which is great, with this new hybrid sync I can also confirm that you can get your card utilization up to 100% before seeing some random tearlines on screen, this new version is just awesome.

I will keep testing with other games.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
    Unwinder likes this.
  3. Digika

Digika Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670
    Is there a template for the Sync counters or do I need to compose my own using OverlayPlugin?

4. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Excellent. I think I'll add adjustable re-sync interval for hybrid mode and set it to some rather high value by default (e.g. 60 seconds or more). So slowly drifting tearline will be returned back with explicit scanline sync event once per each 60 seconds.

vlad[54rus] and terry_bogard_sv like this.

5. Unwinder

There is no template for sync counters and they are not directly accessible via OverlayEditor plugin either.

6. terry_bogard_sv

terry_bogard_sv Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 6800 16GB
    *I bow before you* xD

I was already looking for some external app to send the timed hotkeys.

There may be people that can't use large VBI or for some other reason have small intervals for the tearline to move, maybe 20 or 30 seconds minimum framelimit reset would be better, if possible.

Edit:

Btw, for future updates, would it be posible to add per API profiles instead of game.exe? in my case I normally play all games at the same resolution/details and would only rename profiles, but the profiles do change in some settings depending on the API used.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  7. Pandorum

Pandorum Guest

GPU:
    ATI 5970
    457.09 WHQL released and broke fan control with eVGA Precision on 30 series cards. Is this at all related to the normalization that troubled Afterburner (and required the Beta 3 workaround) or just a coincidence?

Probably not related just asking in case that's what Unwinder was waiting for ;)

8. Digika

Digika Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670
    Wat
    How would I use them then?
    And for Hybrid Sync to work - are you no longer allowed to move tearline manually via hotkeys/SyncScanline0 directive?

9. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    i'm afraid the RTSS beta won't work with WD legion because of the digital sig...etc

10. Unwinder

There won’t be API specific profiles, sorry. Zero chances.

11. Unwinder

I’m afraid that I stop understanding your questions. What is preventing you from using built in sync info as is?

12. Unwinder

I neither own WD legion nor plan to purchase it to verify it on my side, sorry.

13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    If anyone is coming here to rant at Unwinder that fan curves are broken in 457.09, save your breath. It's a driver issue and has already been reproduced by nvidia on founders boards.

See above.

14. Digika

Digika Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670
    The fact that there is no information on how to enable it?

15. Unwinder

There is info on it right in this thread, it is SyncInfo in a global profile.

16. Unwinder

You still can use hotkeys to move tearline via HotkeyEditor.

17. Digika

Digika Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670
    Okay, so it is not on the UI, it is in the profile, requires direct editing.

My question was more along the lines - how does this affect hybrid mode? Your conversation with another user in this thread led me believe for proper hybrid mode it should not be touched, albeit logically it makes no sense since you already start with 1.
    Does quick adjusting scanlinesync for +/-1 has the same effect as toggling on/off FPS limiter to return travelling tear back to intended placement?

Additional question related to this from changelog:
    Do you know if there is any adhere or just side-effect on that algorithm when using different system timers? I.e. HPET enabled/disabed, TSC+HPET vs TSC+PMT and so on? Any of these adding some noise/jitter to the tearline?

18. Unwinder

Yes. Hybrid mode depends on two variables - framerate limit and scanline sync index, and change in each of them causes explicit resynchronization.

All timings are QPC based. Anything altering QPC precision may affect that.

19. Digika

Digika Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670
    Alright, thanks. I assume SyncTimeout still works the same as in classic sync mode and if my game drops FPS below my specified FPS limit it will not sync and let it tear as if it was just normal FPS cap? Should I match my precise FPS cap or set it up a bit lower (i.e. if I have 59.997 RR and FPS limit, I'd want to set it may be to 59.985/166708 as a trade between virtually unnoticeable stutter vs tear in case of tiny fluctuations) to have some margin?

20. Unwinder

It works the same as in classic mode and you don’t need to edit or specify it manually. Timeout is autodetected/benchmaked in single pass so its value displayed in sync info can have a few microseconds inaccuracy.