MSI AB / RTSS development news thread

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Unwinder, Feb 20, 2017.

1. SalamatiQus

SalamatiQus Active Member

GPU:
    4090 Windforce
    I understand there are some ways to implement it with hotkeys but the idea of making an overlay that supports only 4 resolutions max and even then only by manually changing them does not sound like a good idea to me. I'll just stick with everything in one corner.

2. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    @SalamatiQus Of course you can set the hotkeys to zoom in and out your OSD, so you don't need fixed resolutions...

3. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    RTSS and MSI are the best PC gaming tools ever created that keep getting improvements and is distributed for free, I will never understand when people complain about choices/features .Now I am not saying you have to use the tools but saying thanks for what has already been done is always a good place to start .

One other thing the free tools have been downloaded and used by PC gamers so much ,they become like Mc Donald's ,everyone stopped counting the downloads .My attempt at humor

Andy_K and eGGroLLiO like this.
  4. SalamatiQus

SalamatiQus Active Member

GPU:
    4090 Windforce
    I am not really in the clear and I do feel like there is some tension regarding my posts so let me clear it up a bit.
    I asked a question about certain feature and the answer was "no". There was a suggestion to simulate what I was asking about with hotkeys invoking different overlay configurations but as I prefer "set and forget" approach I decided against it and so I will keep using my configuration with features provided as is.
    In no way I intended to insult anyone for anything.
    I will not reply on this "issue" as it derails from main topic of this thread.

Haldi likes this.

5. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

New beta is in development. OverlayEditor plugin just got new cool features, allowing you to add complex animations to your overlays. Short demo video is available @ my channel:

Stay tuned!

antonyfrn, HARDRESET, bigcid1 and 9 others like this.
  6. Dan Longman

Dan Longman Master Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    Super cool video, And a great new feature to look forward to!

Unwinder likes this.
  7. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    I have some fans and bar graphs ,I will try out. Awesome video.

Unwinder likes this.
  8. cookieboyeli

cookieboyeli Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 @2126
    Unwinder, you are blowing my mind!!

Unwinder likes this.
  9. Unwinder

It is a bit offtopic, but I just noticed that the last patch for Doom Eternal finally added an in-game option for disabling presentation from compute queue. It is not that important for the latest versions of Steam and RTSS overlays, which recently added special separate overlay rendering codepaths for present from compute mode, but this in-game option can be used to solve compatibility/performance issues with other overlays.

HARDRESET likes this.
  10. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    May I ask what your opinion is whether HDR output to display would be possible with Vulkan async present, or in other words: What would the game developer have to do to make it work?

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    They'd have to not use the windows hdr api.

12. Unwinder

No ideas, sorry.

13. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Hm, I think Doom Et. uses at least Nvidia's API? It can toggle HDR on without the Windows option enabled.

Thanks anyway! :)

14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    then im not sure why they are using d3d interop for it, vulkan has had hdr support for some time now.

15. Unwinder

They don’t use D3D interop from the game. NVIDIA driver does that internally for Vulkan HDR applications.

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    [​IMG]

haven't they learned to do it once, do it right.

17. Unwinder

New RTSS 7.3.0 beta 5 build 21820 is available:

It adds advanced animations support to OverlayEditor, which I already demontrated in my previous video. In addition to that, I've implemented the following new features/improvements:

- In the previous video I mentioned some critically important rules, which must be considered when referencing a data source from other data source's correction formula. I decided to simplify the process, so data sources order in no longer important in this case. I've added support for forward variables declaration in correcion formula translator, so now correction formulas can refrence other data sources even when they are defined in the list below.
    - Initially animated embedded images used hardcoded 0.5 frame animation bias, which provided best result for round indicator sprites defined in sample overlay layout. However it was necessary to remove animation bias hardcoding to implement smooth passive looped animations (like rotated fan animation demonstrated in my previos video). So now there is new animation bias option in embedded animated image settings dialog. Animation bias affects target sprite selection rule. For example, if we map 0-110% range to 11 sprites animating round indicator, we'll see the following target sprite selection rule:

0-9% - sprite 0, 10-19% - sprite 1, 20-29% - sprite 2 ... 90-99% - sprite 9, 100% - sprite 10
    and with animation bias set to 0.5 it changes to:
    0-5% - sprite 0, 6-15% - sprite 1, 16-25% - sprite 2 ... 86-95% - sprite 9, 96%-100% - sprite 10

- Sample overlay layout includes animated GPU fan incidator now, created with approach demonstrated in my previous video.
    - Sample overlay layout includes HDD and network usage/read/write/donwload/upload rates displayed as a table. It demontsrates both embedded table and performance counter based data sources usage.
    - Sample overlay now displays CPU and GPU power consumptions. GPU power consumtion is monitored by the plugin itself, CPU is taken from MSI AB, AIDA or HwInfo (per your choice).
    - I see that users didn't realize that embedded image colors can be blended with layer text color and changed this way. So now sample overlay demonstrates embedded image color blending on round CPU/GPU/RAM load indicators.
    - I decided to simplify implementation of 1-to-1 pixel mapping for embedded images (discussed here). It is no longer necessary to increase specified width/height by 1 pixel to get exact pixel-to-pixel mapping. 8-bit palettized PNG images witha alpha, mentioned in that thread, are also supported properly now.
    - This beta should address issue with Vulkan instance and device handle leak in Vulkan bootstrap layer, mentioned in this thread. So issue with RetroArch should be fixed.

Small video of stress-testing this functionality and refreshed overlay layout in DooM 2016:

Stay tuned!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
    Kaminari, intyme, GSDragoon and 21 others like this.
  18. Drerex

Drerex Member

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 3090
    Awesome work Unwinder!!

HARDRESET likes this.
  19. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Come on people, dude does awesome stuff for free. Some likes or some positive remarks would be welcome I bet, instead of the same old negative crap. No other free tool can do anything close to this stuff. I say thank you.

HARDRESET and eGGroLLiO like this.
  20. Probotector

Probotector Member

GPU:
    Crossfire 290 @ 1100/1400
    Thanks man, this beta fix stutter in RetroArch, now works perfect.