MSI AB / RTSS development news thread

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Unwinder, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

The first 6.7.0 beta with initial UWP support is available for download:

http://office.guru3d.com/afterburner/RTSSSetup670Beta1.rar

Full changes list includes:

- Added initial Microsoft UWP applications support:
    o On-Screen Display, framerate/frametime statistics collection and framerate limiting support
    o Screencapture and videocapture are currently not supported
    - Fixed bug in Vulkan On-Screen Display cleanup code causing The Talos Principle to crash to desktop on changing video settings
    - Improved dynamic Direct3D12 presentation command queue detection algorithm
    - Improved shared memory layout. Now each running 3D application entry contains x64/UWP application architecture usage flags in
    addition to previously available 3D API usage flags
    - Added power user oriented profile compatibility setting for OpenGL applications rendering from forward compatible 3.x+ context
    with disabled deprecated immediate OpenGL mode functionality. The switch allows the server to fall back to rendering path using a
    separate legacy OpenGL context
    - Added On-Screen Display profile for Citra Nintendo 3DS emulator
    - Added On-Screen Display profile for CEMU Wii U emulator
    - Updated profiles list

A few important notes:

- RTSS must be started before an UWP 3D application to provide automatic injection and On-Screen Display rendering. However, you can optionally define “Show On-Screen Display” hotkey in RTSS client applications (i.e. MSI Afterburner) and manually inject any running UWP application via pressing this hotkey even if you start RTSS during UWP application runtime.
    - Currently the following UWP titles are supported officially: Gears of War 4, Gears of War Ultimate Edition, Forza Horizon 3 (please read notes below), Forza Motorsport 6: Apex (please read notes below), Minecraft Windows 10 Edition, ReCore, Ori and the Blind Forrest Definitive Edition. Other UWP titles were not tested at all, but may also work.
    - Currently Forza series games may hang on startup if OSD is displayed during loading the game. To prevent that, RTSS includes application specific profiles for both Forza Horizon 3 and Forza Motorsport 6: Apex applications and disables automatic injection and OSD rendering for it. However, you may safely manually display the OSD in Forza series games via pressing “Show On-Screen Display” hotkey, but it is strongly recommended to do so after Forza Horizon 3 or Forza Motorsport 6: Apex finish loading into the main menu.

fufuchao, ParKur, BlindBison and 2 others like this.
  2. Brama

Brama Guest

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080ti
    Very good news! :)

3. pstlouis

pstlouis Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti Aorus Xt
    Excellent work thank you.:thumbup:

DanielRX likes this.
  4. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    That's good news -)

Did some testing:

FH3: https://abload.de/img/2017-02-2019_38_46-cl7gpkd.jpg
    Works as stated.

Gears4: https://abload.de/img/2017-02-2019_47_16-gryzoqy.jpg
    Works fine.

Halo Wars DE: doesn't work at all, no OSD, no fps/frametime data in AB.

Halo Wars 2: https://abload.de/img/2017-02-2020_00_10-grn8op3.jpg
    Some issues on startup, possibly the same as in Forza games - the game crashes at campaign start once all the videos have played if the OSD is (or was at some point between game's launch and campaign start) enabled. If you wait till all videos have played and the actual level have loaded and you have control - then OSD turns on just fine. No idea if the game crashes anywhere further after playing some video though.

Will check GearsUE and UWP version of Quantum Break in a couple of hours.

5. Olvik

Olvik Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080
    Thanks very interesting

6. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  7. Unwinder

Heh, it looks like this evil UWP development gonna cost me additional $50 to purchase Halo Wars 2 Ultimate Edition. I'll buy it and peek inside.
    If HW2 crash on startup issue is indeed having the same roots as Forza, then it can be temporarily bypassed with similar application profile, simply create new profile template for it and copy forza_x64_release_final.exe.cfg/ForzaMotorsportApex.exe.cfg (both can be found in ProfileTemplates subfolder).

8. Unwinder

That's normal and expected behavior for applications using partial frame buffer updates (most frequently that applies to letterbox'ed widescreen applications with static black bars ot top/bottom). OSD is being rendered on top of the application's frame, if the game is not erasing those areas on each frame - you'll see exactly the same overlapping OSD text. It can be fixed by moving OSD down to refreshable parts of framebuffer.

Nope, Minecraft W10 edition and Ori and the Blind Forest Definitive Edition, which I mentioned above, are DX11 as well and working fine. I'd say it is something specific to that game engine implementation.

9. Unwinder

Got both Halo Wars DE and Halo Wars 2 installed. Issue with missing OSD in Halo Wars DE is reproduced and fixed, new beta with Halo Wars DE support will be uploaded today in the evening. However, I cannot reproduce any crashes in Halo Wars 2.

10. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Tried this, still crashes if the OSD is enabled before the level is loaded and the intro video has played. So probably some other issue.

1. Launch AB
    2. Launch HW2
    3. Turn the OSD on with a button (if it wasn't on)
    4. Start a new campaign, skip the tutorial (will skip automatically if you've played it once), skip the intro video, let it load the first map of the campaign (The Signal).
    5. Click "continue", the video at the first level starts playing and right after that video (you can watch it or skip it, doesn't matter) the game crashes even if the OSD is turned off with a button again.

It doesn't crash if AB is not loaded or the OSD wasn't enabled between game's launch and this point. 100% reproducible here.

Just tried something different: restarting the mission after loading and enabling OSD after that leads to the same crash on mission start.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017

11. Odellot

Odellot Guest

GPU:
    TUF RTX 4090 FO48U
    Thanks for this beta Unwinder...Only tested on Gears on War 4 and works perfectly...

[​IMG]

12. fatherkius

fatherkius Guest

GPU:
    KFA2 GeForce® GTX 1070 EX
    It doesn't work properly with Tom Clancy's The Division DX12

As with the previous version ( 6.6.0 ) , the game crashes each time you press alt tab and you try to go back to the game, or when you change to fullscreen in graphics options or by pressing alt enter.

I hope you will be able to fix it for the next final version.

13. Unwinder

Cannot confirm that.

14. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    This is a game+driver issue as stated in the release notes, nothing to do with AB or RTSS.

15. fatherkius

fatherkius Guest

GPU:
    KFA2 GeForce® GTX 1070 EX
    The problem I said it only happens when Riva Tuner is on. If it's off it works properly. That problem already happened some months ago. It's not a driver problem because I've unistalled and installed last version drivers in the last months and the problem was still there.

Hope you will be able to find a solution to make it work.

16. Unwinder

I repeat once again that I cannot confirm it and I'm not working on solution. But if you believe that it is RTSS issue and hope that it will be resolved with new version, let it be so. I'm just informing that no fix is coming from my side. Please avoid discussing it in this thread, it is intended for testing new UWP functionality.

17. Unwinder

I think I fixed hang on startup related issues with Forza Horizon 3 and Forza Motorsport 6: Apex. Most likely beta 2 with these changes and with OSD support for Halo Wars Definitive Edition will be uploaded tomorrow.

18. Immortal

Immortal Guest

GPU:
    GTX Titan X
    Like dr_rus said already Halo Wars 2 is a no go atm.

If you launch the game with RTSS already started it will crash the game on loading map.

If you use the Forza workaround then the game will crash usually within few to several minutes.

19. DonMigs85

DonMigs85 Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3070 Ventus
    Can confirm it works fine on Rise of The Tomb Raider UWP.

20. DonMigs85

DonMigs85 Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3070 Ventus
    By the way, how do I add a game so I can enable framelimiting? UWP doesn't use regular exes