MSI 970 Gaming vs EVGA 970 FTW

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Ferio, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Ferio

Ferio New Member

GPU:
    R9 290
    Hi everyone,

I want to buy a new videocard this week and I cannot choose between the ones mentioned in the topic title.

Which one would you suggest?

The FTW version does not have the heatpipe problem as it uses an aluminium plate I saw and it's the fastest 970 on the market right now.

Curious what you guys think... also heard the gigabyte windforce one is good..

Cheers!

2. D4rKy21

D4rKy21 Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 SLI
    Dont buy either atm they got problems with there coil noise or fans that dont spin, stay with your r9 290 its still a good card, or u can go the reference way with a gtx 970, they have no problems atm, not that i known off.

3. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I've said this and many other on here have said this, "There is NO reference 970 from 3rd party vendors only OEM".

Normally coil whine only shows up in extreme situation my 670's will do it in GFX test 4 on 3DMark11 and windows experience DX10 test. I would not worry too much about it if you have excessive whine RMA. I would go with the MSI as the cooler is superb.

4. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Get the G1 Gigabytes. They are solid.

5. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Sorry OP for OT

Does your 970's coil whine during the DX10 test of Windows Experience?

6. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    mine does, very slightly. it doesn't bother me at all, it's so quiet that even with headphones on and nothing being played through them I can't hear it. I'll be buying the big daddy 20nm in a few months anyway.

7. cad cam man

cad cam man Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti SLI
    Looks like I am the only one in this post that has a MSI GTX970 Gaming and I for one do not get any coil whine to speak about in DX10 of or DX 11. Had a GTX 770 before that and I would say it had more? I know allot of you just look at post count and at 507 looks like I been around 5 minutes. But I have been a member here for 10 years but do not post much. Regards

PS No fan problems as well works 100% as it should.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  8. keasy

keasy Banned

GPU:
    d1cK
    eclap has the same, as do I.

I haven't heard any coil whine.

9. rombat

rombat Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 GE sli
    Posting in too I am like cad cam man, I just installed my MSI GTX 970's don't have any issues with the fans getting stuck or coil whine.

10. Ferio

Ferio New Member

GPU:
    R9 290
    Thanks guys!

The FTW version is not out yet. Says here in The Netherlands that it can be delivered within 2 weeks. So I assume the known problems have been solved with that card.

Both the MSI and the FTW version have the same price here. About 20 euro difference.

Still have no clue what to choose.

Can also get a new Sapphire 290x Vapor X (unused, sealed) for 300 euro.

11. SLI-756

SLI-756 Banned

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    get the evga especially if you're in Europe, apart from the card their customer service is the best.
    the evga ftw may not have the asic of the classy but it'll have stellar build quality.