MSI 5700 Ultra heatsink removal

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by some1, Jun 23, 2004.

1. some1

some1 Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX285 OCX
    Hi, does anyone know how to remove the cooler from a MSI 5700 Ultra? I want to replace the standard gloop with AS5, any ideas?

It appears to use a spring loaded push pin, but cannot see how you remove them.

Also, the tension on the memory chips is not all that great, I would like to either increase the tension of the pushpins, or replace the pushpins with a better clamping mechanism, any ideas?

2. some1

some1 Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX285 OCX
    Oh well, nevermind, I got it sorted. Thought I would pass on my experiences.

I have kept the stock cooling, but replaced the thermal compound on the gpu and ram chips for AS5, all is up and running, and seems to have been worthwhile.

The push pins are not too good, very weak spring, I kept the original push pins for the gpu, however, I found a local fixings place, that sells all sorts of screws, nuts, bolts, etc... got 4 3mm x 20mm nuts and bolts with washers, I masked around the ram chips to ensure no thermal compound made its way onto the boards components, and after a bit of concentration, and care, I have now got ramsinks that actually work!

I didn't gain much, about 20mhz on the ram, and maybe 5mhz on the gpu, but still, it goes to show what can be done with just the stock cooling and a better mounting solution!