MSI 1070 artifacts - faulty PCI-E?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by arbaal, Jul 1, 2017.

1. arbaal

arbaal New Member

GPU:
    MSI 1070
    Hi,

About a month or so I bought a MSI 1070 and up until today I've had no problems with it.
    Today, when I've powered on the PC, I immediately started getting artifacts (since BIOS screen), and my system switched to integrated mobo graphics (MSI z-170a pro), while device manager was showing "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)".
    So far i've tried the following solutions:
    1. hard reset with gtx disabled in device manager
    2. uninstalling in dm, installing again
    3. driver reinstall
    4. switching power connector from PSU to GTX

Last thing I've tried was to refit the card into the second pci-e slot, which supports only 4x instead of 16x.
    This has worked. Afterwards i've switched to the original (16x) slot again, and for about 5 minutes it was fine.
    After this time my screen went one-colored and reboot gave me same artifacts with system switching to integrated graphics.

I have to say i have no idea why what failed after this ~5 mins. It certainly isn't a temperature issue, since I was getting around 41-45 max under normal system load and aroud 50-53 max while gaming.
    Could it be a faulty PCI-E slot? or maybe it's power related?
    Both card and cpu run on stock settings and haven't been oc'd.

I will greatly appreciate any help on this.

2. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 960M
    Try with another GPU in the main slot.

3. arbaal

arbaal New Member

GPU:
    MSI 1070
    Installed radeon hd6850 and it has been running little over half an hour now, no issues. I guess that rules out potential slot failure. Could it still somehow be gpu-related or just psu left?

4. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 960M
    I'd just RMA the card.

5. charliehamster

charliehamster Maha Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX-1070
    Does your card have Samsung or micron vram? If you don't know install gpu-z . If it's micron vram then your problem could be that. Also are your fans fully working?

6. arbaal

arbaal New Member

GPU:
    MSI 1070
    hey, gpu-z shows memory is indeed micron.
    As for the fans they spin on boot and then remain still (which is normal i guess).

I'm taking my pc to the local repair shop today, just to have them test my setup with another PSU (I only have an old 350W lying around).

7. khanmein

khanmein Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    I also have Micron & EVGA fiasco so far no issue. Try to RMA or flash new vbios.

8. arbaal

arbaal New Member

GPU:
    MSI 1070
    ok, seems like i've managed to find the source of the problem.
    Turns out it wasn't the card (i've installed msi vbios update, but several reboots gave me the same artifacts -> integrated graphics routine) but the external power cable.
    I just plugged in the one from my other monitor, and it's been fine for over an hour now (including gaming), no issues. It's kind of strange why the cable would be enough for the same setup, just different card (I guess the idle power consumption doesn't differ all that much but maybe it needs much more during boot?).
    Anyway, thanks everyone for help - no RMA needed this time :)

9. khanmein

khanmein Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    Glad to hear that & start enjoy. Cheers.