1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MSAA increases input lag?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by dezo, Feb 20, 2018.

1. dezo

dezo Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Recently I tried some alternative methods to minimize input lag in games @60Hz using VSync without external frame limiter. There are two key settings in NVInspector:
    - Maximum pre-renderer frames -> affects D3D API
    - Maximum frames allowed -> affects OpenGL/Vulkan API
    Setting appropriate parameter to 1 per game reduces input lag by rendering less frames ahead (even in Doom 2016 on Vulkan). In some games this introduces stuttering (ie. Cod MW1/2/3, Metro redux), at least on my end with GTX1080/388.31, so it's best to set it per game, not globally. But there is some strange thing I didn't knew about - in some older games, like RTCW, Prey, all Quakes and some others, mostly OpenGL titles, any kind of Multisample Antialiasing adds more frames to the queue, so MSAA in these games actually increases input lag when using VSync. Is that caused by MSAA implementation in the engine? I mean are more frames needed to process AA? I thought geometry based AA like MSAA doesn't need more frames to process...

2. khanmein

khanmein Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    No such thing. MSAA can caused other issue, but not input lag.

3. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    I doubt MSAA or any AA method would increase amount of drawn frames sent to back buffers hence increasing lag but I'm no expert on the matter.

Besides if you set prerender limit to 1 shouldn't matter anyway.

4. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 GRP
    MSAA lower your fps and this results in input lag increase. That's all.

cryohellinc and gdallsk like this.

5. dezo

dezo Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Thanks for responses. This must be a thing in older games then. Like I said, I am seeing this mostly in ancient OpenGL titles, where FPS are well above 300 all the time with all settings maxed. So with VSync @60 Hz it never drops under 60 FPS - I pretty much doubt it has to do something with performance. Maybe some IDtech 3 feature.

6. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    It adds more driver overhead, so yes it adds more lag.

Same by FEAR1 msaa & transparency AA by older opengl games. E.g. Prey, Doom3.

7. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 GRP
    No it doesn't.

Driver overhead don't add any lag.

Particular MSAA implementations may add whatever due to how they reconfigure the rendering pipeline to add MSAA. But this is app specific.

8. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    It adds higher latency - higher driver overhead.

9. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 GRP
    Driver runs on CPU and has no effect on the input lag unless you mean that it impacts performance resulting in lower fps.

But in any case, MSAA doesn't affect any driver overhead.

10. dezo

dezo Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080

11. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 Fury X
    Except FEAR 1 was DX9.....

12. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    By FEAR - MSAA
    By ID4 engine - TrAA

13. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 980 STRIX
    FEAR and other games running on the engine from within a few years use FSAA.

Also, until someone does concrete testing with actual numbers. Anyone claiming otherwise is full of it.

I welcome someone to test a game without and with AA running at the same framerate with no performance drops to actually definitively test this. (Preferably whoever did the latency tests on BlurBusters)
    I doubt MSAA or any kind of AA adds any kind of significant latency.

14. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    Just get a g-sync display for your 1080 and forget about the vsync input lag nonsense. It's quite liberating to not give a f about increased input lag with higher graphics settings and vsync :p

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  15. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 GRP
    If MSAA actually adds input lag then it will add it on all displays, it will add it even without vsync. Which is why I highly doubt that it does.

Shady757 likes this.

16. dezo

dezo Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    @RealNC: Soon :) My 32" 1440p from BenQ developed some ugly stains in backlight, so it's about time to get a new one.
    I was just in the mood for some retro gaming and tweaking. Tested the AA thing some more and it affects only old OpenGL engines with VSync active - at least on my end. Using brute force with 4x DSR instead of MSAA looks comparable and doesn't add any additional lag. Weird.

17. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    If you're questioning my remark, it is true. I've played over 2000hrs Fear multiplayer, think I will know when it lagged or not @ each setting..

Even now with faster gpu, DSR 4k + 4xmsaa adds noticeable input lag vs just 2x.

18. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 GRP
    He's saying that FEAR doesn't use MSAA.

19. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    And you give it a rest, no one asked you, thanks.

20. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 GRP
    I will say whatever I want whenever I want and you won't be able to tell me when to do what, thanks or not.

Shady757 likes this.