MS Flight Simulator (2020): the 2021 PC graphics performance benchmark review

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 5, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    mbk1969 likes this.
  2. HybOj

HybOj Master Guru

GPU:
    Gygabite RTX3080
    Hi, without the original results, I cant compare the difference and thus the article looses a lot of its potential value.
    Id like to see what progress has been actually made.

JAVI likes this.
  3. ChisChas

ChisChas Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090
    Hilbert, you're not thinking of changing careers I hope................Lovely looking game, I guess flying a smaller & more nimble aircraft would be a bit more fun? But your vid certainly proves that landing is a great deal trickier than taking off, I was worried you would run out of fuel

4. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    Hm...
    still don't know it is right moment for me to jump from 8086k@5.1Ghz (6c/12t) to 9900k/kf.
    There may be some gains, but I am afraid I will loose in silicon lottery, and IMC will be weaker, and/or OC too. Especially when I am on air cooler only...

5. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    As mentioned several times in the review, there's virtually no difference between now and then. Airports seem a notch faster though. This article is basically testing the move to Ryzen 9 5950X as a benchmark. You can check the CPU differences as listed in the chart. Look at it as our 2021 update with close to 40 graphics cards + additional frametime results etc.

alanm likes this.
  6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    It would be worth retesting when the game gets dx12 support. Im sorry but this was a waste of time.

Kosmoz likes this.
  7. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    I remember a few years back we would always get a performance uplift after every few drivers, maybe just slight but nonetheless it was still there.
    These days ziltch, diddly-squat, nada de nada.:)

8. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Actually the optimization is fine. Shouldnt make uninformed, biased comments based off speculation.

9. bobnewels

bobnewels Maha Guru

GPU:
    amd
    Thanks for the review. Tried the game myself on RTX 3080 and uninstalled it ,within the hour. Not a game for me, not enjoyable at all for me and bad FPS . It is sad that Microsoft can not put out this game to run at least CPY full bore multi threaded, I think they should know how to set things up to work at it's best on there own operating system

JAVI and Kosmoz like this.
  10. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Too early to write it off. Its a WIP (work in progress) with DX12 later coming to the game. As to how that may improve performance remains to be seen.

11. bobnewels

bobnewels Maha Guru

GPU:
    amd
    This is true , always to early to write it off. I discovered though gameplay for me is not there or not interesting to me, especially with terrible FPS. Now I know there are people who would only play this game and praise the hell out of it. Which is perfectly fine also.

DannyD likes this.
  12. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
  13. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    From the review:
    "We stated this often; for a flight-sim 30 FPS is sufficient due to the slow-paced nature of the simulation, this is not a game where you move around a lot."

14. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    I would love too see them implement DX12 or Vulkun and also something like mesh shaders and see how the game performs then?

Anyone here know how easy (or hard) it would be to implement mesh shaders into a game?

JAVI likes this.
  15. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    keep your 8086k
    pretty much everything DX11 or older only cares about clock speed I even have games on which I limited the thread use to 2 (1 core) or 4 (2 cores) simply because they run better like that as proven live with MSI afterburner+rivatuner onscreen frametimes/fps graphs they only care about clockspeed, more than 1-4 cores confuses them and introduces micro-freezes, a lot of older games/engines still hate multi-threading btw (I'm customising every game with process lasso now)

you are right to be afraid of the silicon lottery judging from my personal experience with 9900k
    my 1st one was bought on release as a tray OEM, runs 5.0@1.28v 5.1@1.46v kind of stable (for gaming ok not encoding etc...)
    my 2nd one was a retail box bought new in 2019, it runs like crap it barely does it's stock 4.7Ghz and watts/temp go crazy if I attempt 5.0..it doesn't boot unless I put 1.4v and then uses like 240watts...really bad bin
    the good one runs at 85-95°C @5.1Ghz or 80-85°C @5.0Ghz with an AIO or custom loop water cooling not sure an air cooling would do well, probably would be ok but loud

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    CPC_RedDawn likes this.
  17. warezme

warezme Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga 970GTX Classified
    With only 9 frame difference in Ultra at 4K between a 2080ti and and RTX3090, seems the game is extremely bottled necked somewhere.

JAVI likes this.
  18. hawk7000

hawk7000 Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti FTW3
    I think the issue at hand is that this is not a game, and does not live by game standards.
    Flight sims are pretty notorious for delivering poor framerates, and while clearly one would like them to perform better... when this one delivers about the framerates people have come to expect from other flightsims, it does beg to question if it's purely poor optimization or if some of the simulations are just difficult to scale.

If it was a game, it could just ignore the simulation side of things and could almost certainly deliver much better framerates for this type of graphical fidelity (I do not think *that* is the issue at all), but it would change its very nature.

19. hawk7000

hawk7000 Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti FTW3
    One thing that seems to be worth pointing out from both statements in the article and in some of the comments:

This is not a title developed by Microsoft. Microsoft owns the franchise and they (Xbox Game Studios) are the publisher, but the title is developed by Asobo Studio.

20. Uteman

Uteman Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti x2
    I had expected a substantive review and I was disappointed. Reality is not what simmers have delivered to them with FS2020. As for your conclusions nothing new there. To suggest FS2020 is the best out there (paraphrasing) is a mile of the mark. The best at what? Scenery? Flight models? Interactive environments? The only thing FS2020 excels at in 2021 is scenery. The flight models are bare bones and in many instances they are crude. As for the pricing lets not go there. I laughed at the recent attempt to put a Mk IX into FS2020. Why bother when DCS has such a great interactive environment and realistic flight model?
    Your are wasting your time and ours testing now. We all know how flight sims perform in DX11. I am no XP11 fan but for engines they have shown the way with Vulcan. P3D still kills it for flight modelling.
    Do it again when its running DX12 or Vulkan, then simmers who have been at it for 25 years will have something to read. Eye candy is great but FS2020 is yet to add a real flight aircraft model to its ranks imo.
    Maybe some day.
    Cheers