MS Afterburner - truncation warning Pop-up

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by thorium666, Nov 16, 2022.

1. thorium666

thorium666 New Member

GPU:
    scheiss captchas
    Hello,
    i'm getting an annoying truncation warning in the app about the OSD, even nothing is really obviously truncated. I would even ignore the message but the the warning is really one of the most intrusive forms of warnings i've ever seen:
    1. it is a pop-up
    2. is is becoming primary focused object on the desktop and it is also even minimising 3d games to display me this warning.
    3. I have't found a way to disable it.

So, can someone 1st help me to disable these agressive pop-ups in MSI Afterburner?
    2nd, why it is telling me someting is truncated even i see it isn't? Additionally, i don't see any reason to use such extreme aggressive popups for such low priority information. The app is at the moment not really usable as it randomly minimises games. I have recently reinstalled the app (full uninstall and install) to fix another issue (which is less critical so i dont ask for it now here) and then this extreme pop-up issue came. I had before the reinstallation even more monitored items dispalyed on the OSD.

If i answer here no, it just come a bit later again, if i say yes, it opens the monitoring mask, where i don't really see the need to change anyting. Is there any "shut up" switch for intrusive this pop-up?

[​IMG]

Below you can see what i have configured. It has a few, especially CPU items. I had previously (before i reinstalled the app) even more information configured for OSD display without any errors popping-up. I have tried to reduce CPU related informaion (e.g Power per CPU) but this is just reducing the amount of columns and not shorten the lenght. I want keep all virtual CPUs here.
    So if anybody has an idea what is causing these truncaiton warnings, pelase help. The amount of CPUs was never an issue and i have this Ryzen 5950X since some time alredy and many genertions of MSI Afterburner. All items which i have configured in the "monitoring" section of the app are being shown in the OSD, so i don't undestand what the app wants form me with "truncation", in this case there should be someting cut and missing but it isnt.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2022
  2. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

Amount of hypertext you can display in legacy MSI AB overlay is limited by 4KB, this includes whole text info itself and extra text size/color formatting tags. The warning is intended to be displayed when you are overflowing the limit and trying to display more than you physically can. The warning is a sign of at least one text or graph item ticked to be displayed in OSD, which is already excluded from final OSD output to fit the limit. Ignoring or "hiding" the warining it is not the smartest thing, the only corect thing to do is reducing the amount of text you're trying to display.

3. thorium666

thorium666 New Member

GPU:
    scheiss captchas
    Hi,
    you are meaning "Legacy AB overlay", this means that there is a non Legacy option i can try where is no 4KB limit?

thx

4. Unwinder

RTSS OverlayEditor plugin is visual overlay editor, it is a functional replacement for old legacy MSI AB overlay for those who want to create more complex things in OSD. Hypertext buffer there is 8x larger, 32K total.

5. thorium666

thorium666 New Member

GPU:
    scheiss captchas
    Thank you, i will take a look at this.

6. thorium666

thorium666 New Member

GPU:
    scheiss captchas
    Thank you, i have a good start here, i need to create some more optimised templates based on the usecase but the possibilities are promising and very flexible.
    You maybe have an idea how to get the value e.g if the card is in power limit? I'm also lookign how to add the used renderer, e.g Vulkan or DX

Screenshot 2022-11-18 214107.jpg

Last edited: Nov 18, 2022
  7. Unwinder

You may display current 3D API in abbreviated or full format with <APP> or <API> tags specified in hypertext. If you're on the most recent beta, you can also type in <> symbols sequence there to display visual tag browser popup and select tag from it instead of typing it in manually.
    On the second part of question:

"You maybe have an idea how to get the value e.g if the card is in power limit?"

I didn't port that bit of functionality natively to OverlayEditor, it is not the most popular and important thing people ever display in OSD.

8. thorium666

thorium666 New Member

GPU:
    scheiss captchas
    Got the renderer, thx

Screenshot 2022-11-19 121644.jpg

Unwinder likes this.
  9. Unwinder

Dan Longman likes this.
  10. thorium666

thorium666 New Member

GPU:
    scheiss captchas
    Very nice, thx.

11. thorium666

thorium666 New Member

GPU:
    scheiss captchas
    Thank you, it is working! Now i try to find out how to make thee nice graphical circles etc, i don*t see htis in Wolfgangs video so looking for other guide..

Screenshot 2022-11-23 183008.jpg

12. Unwinder

One of videos on my youtube channel demonstrates the principles of creating animated overlays:

13. thorium666

thorium666 New Member

GPU:
    scheiss captchas
    thx again