Mozilla Firefox, new releases, Add-Ons, tips for customisation

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by CrazY_Milojko, Oct 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Electrolysis will be enabled in next Firefox version.

2. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Good to see. It makes a good amount of difference to the overall experience.

3. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Updated, thanks :)

4. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Hmm... Now they enabled VP9 & media source support combination. This has some annoying side effects: much higher CPU usage when watching youtube videos because hardware acceleration is out of the question. Weird... considering that media.mediasource.webm.enabled is set to false and defaults to that.

Developer notes don't mention anything about this. Though apparently they did enable it...

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    Had my first FF crash for ages with this release just now

6. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Just noticed that Firefox now rewrites Flash youtube video embeds to HTML5. There's one problem though, it doesn't add the allow fullscreen attribute so I still may have to rely on bookmarklet.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  7. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    Did a full CTR and Firefox reset, I can't get it back to the way I had it before 47 came along. I've tried every setting and I'm just going to have to settle with something close for now. The few pixel gap is still at the top of the screen, but at least with squared tabs v2 I can still click to top of the screen and select the tab I'm looking for. Hopefully CTR will do an update sometime here to enable what I'm looking for.

EDIT - meant to quote CrazY_Milojko's post but I'm apparently too tired to do it right.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  8. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
  9. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
  10. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX760 270X GTX970

11. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX670 PEOC@1350Mhz
    hmmm,

did they change something with the codecs?
    h264 doesnt work anymore and about:support shows "Supports Hardware H264 Decoding No; Failed to create H264 decoder" now..

h264 worked before on youtube, and now it doesnt anymore, also on that youtube html5 page, h264 and mse/h264 is RED..

anyone else have this?

edit:
    h264ify doesnt work ether..WTF?!?!

12. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    Anybody else with a 980Ti getting nasty tearing and some stutters in Firefox? I have smooth scrolling on and hardware accel off and these issues are both on the forums and in Youtube videos.

My last few AMD cards would BSOD with hardware accel on in my browser. Is it safe to use that setting on a 980 class card or do they have the BSOS issues as well? Any help would be appreciated since it is tough to watch IMSA races with all the tearing.

13. Extraordinary

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    Why have you got HW/A disabled?

Ah, from the old AMD flash bug, yea it's safe to enable it, plus a lot of things are now using HTML5 anyway, never had any issues with HW/A with the 980

14. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    Yeah, that's why I'm still apprehensive about it. Also posted about it over in the 365.19 driver thread and Asiju also said that he had zero issues with it, so I turned it on (had to reboot, not just restart FF) but then it was perfectly smooth. I'm now just crossing my fingers for no BSODS.

My first NV card in over a decade, so many thanks for the help guys. :nerd:

15. Extraordinary

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    I know the feeling, I still get a knot in my stomach when I hit the 3DMark11 Physics test, because my old Phenom II 965 OC would always crash, every single time, at that test

Never ever has with this 8350, and I've had this for years, but still every time I reach that test, I get that weird feeling lol

16. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX670 PEOC@1350Mhz

FIXED..

was my fault, AGAIN...
    i disabled windows MF.dll (media foundation) because i was fed up that it made preview thumbnails of my video files and i didnt want to, but i did wanted to have picture thumb preview.. so yeah i did this misstake..
    Now Firefox works again as intended..

Anyone nows how i can disable Video file preview as thumbnail in the windows explorer? and just have pictuires previewed?

greetz

17. Goose

Goose Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX980Ti Hybrid (+ GT745)
    Say: I understand plug-ins are going away, and "soon;" What I don't hear is what's replacing them.

Since plug-ins seem key to Firefox security, I guy could get nervous over the lack of news …

18. CrazY_Milojko

GPU:
    GTX760 270X GTX970
    Support for NPAPI plugins is going to be dropped by the end of 2016. Not sure why do you think plugins are key to Firefox security because (signed) add-ons are the ones related with Firefox security and dropping support for those wont happen anytime soon.

19. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Was 360 degree youtube video supported in firefox? A few days ago such videos appeared as if you're watching VR with two distorted circles and today morning it works properly with panning on the latest dev build. Just wondering if it has anything to do with bad extensions or whatever.

20. CrazY_Milojko

GPU:
    GTX760 270X GTX970
    Firefox 48.0 gets released:
    32bit
    64bit

Release notes:
    https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/48.0/releasenotes/

New

• Roar for moar protection against harmful downloads! We've got your back
    • Process separation (e10s) is enabled for some of you. Like it? Let us know and we'll roll it out to more.
    • Add-ons that have not been verified and signed by Mozilla will not load
    • GNU/Linux fans: Get better Canvas performance with speedy Skia support. Try saying that three times fast
    • WebRTC embetterments:
      • Delay-agnostic AEC enabled
      • Full duplex for GNU/Linux enabled
      • ICE Restart & Update is supported
      • Cloning of MediaStream and MediaStreamTrack is now supported
    • Searching for something already in your bookmarks or open tabs? We added super smart icons to let you know
    • Windows folks: Tab (move buttons) and Shift+F10 (pop-up menus) now behave as they should in Firefox customization mode
    • The media parser has been redeveloped using the Rust programming language

Fixed

• Various security fixes
    • Heyo, Jabra & Logitech C920 webcam users. We fixed those pesky WebRTC bugs causing frequency distortions. Buh-bye, squeaky voice!
    • Improved step debugging on last line of functions

Changed

• After version 48, SSE2 CPU extensions are going to be required on Windows
    • So long to support for 10.6, 10.7 and 10.8. Now we can focus on where most Mac users are: 10.9. Don't forget to upgrade!
    • Au revoir to Windows Remote Access Service modem Autodial

Developer

• WebExtensions support is now considered as stable
    • Want to move absolute & fixed positioned elements? (Who doesn't, right?) Now you can with our geometry editor.
    • The memory tool now has a tree map view for your debugging pleasure. It's a little bit of "boo" and a whole lot of "ya."
    • We're putting the spotlight on the background. Now you can debug WebExtensions background content scripts and background pages
    • Content Security Policy (CSP) is now enforced for WebExtensions. (Who's down with CSP?)
    • Old and busted: Error Console. New hotness: Browser Console for your debugging pleasure.
    • Add-on development just got easier because you can reload them from about:debugging — because we're all about debugging.
    • This theme is hot, hot, hot! Say hi to the Firebug theme for Developer Tools.
    • Expand network requests from the console panel to view request details in line, so you can see things in context
    • Workers can now use the Web Crypto API

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.