1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mozilla Firefox, new releases, Add-Ons, tips for customisation Part 2

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by vbetts, Sep 24, 2018.

1. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    so the renamed things, does renaming it make people forget about past issues? hah

2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Does anyone else get a massive slowdown when clearing out your history? For example right click any site with a lot of entries but you don't care about like twitter, click forget about this site, and then after a while you may get an unresponsive javascript error. I also got it when getting rid of history over 6 months old.

And they've still not changed the titlebar in beta 6 :p I'm using a theme for the time being to fix that.

3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    I used to a lot pre-57 or whatever version switched engines, I don't seem to now, it does hang for a few seconds if there are hundreds/thousands of entries for that site but nothing terrible

4. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    I have pretty darn bad stutter with any VP9 encoded video when there's any GPU activity. For example, try running game background in windowed mode and then watch 60 fps video (1080p or higher) on youtube. It may be that the whole browser starts to stutters though but it's rather bad when watching video (must be something that uses hardware decoding so Netflix doesn't count - hardware decoding works only in Edge for that). Edge and Chrome all all fine.

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I just check bunch of VP9 Video on youtube they all play smoothly

6. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Without WebRender it stutter a lot. I haven't really watched much with it yet but looks promising. Actually looks like it fixes it. Can watch 4K 60 fps stuff without stutter, even when there's GPU activity.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
  7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    i dont have web render enabled.

Then again I not trying to run game in back ground in windows mode and watch video, I do just that and see what happens and report back

8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Just ran that this
    and few other random VP9 codec at 4k60fps I click from the side bar they all said VP9, With Swtor running in windows mode at 1080p with firefox window shown above the game windows which is running the whole time ( I could see people running around and doing skills)

All video ran smooth at 4k 60fps, This is with out webrender, my Gpu is almost identical to your other then its a TI, if it matter I still running 411.63 drivers

HW accelerations is enabled in Firefox and working too as far am aware, though the 1070ti does no run full clock speeds when FF is run, this probably just do to fact I dont have Firefox profile in nvcp set to run max speed, But If i turn off HW acceleration in FF i get tearing so i know it on.

Though I am pretty sure FF still has issue with HW accelerations to this date, Long as It dont hardlock my PC like it use to with certain Realtek audio drivers when Some voice chat program is running like TS.Vent.discord I just leave it on now

FF has been randomly TDR it own draw window at random for me since I installed 1803 build of windows it happen so far 4 times and each it happen FF draw window flashed and only FF. Windows it self has no issue did not flash . Event viewer had TDR ( display reset) that happen at some time FF draw windows flashed. I can run Deus ex MD or Skyrim or any of my other games for 4+ hours sessions and everything is fine.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
  9. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Just tested without WebRender and the stuttering/frame jumping was there. With WebRender it's fine. Used Black Desert Online running behind which does put quite a bit more load on GPU than SWTOR.

This has been a problem ever since VP9 decoding was introduced in Firefox. It's nice that WebRender solves it though.

I haven't had any stability issues when using hardware acceleration in Firefox.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Tired again this time with Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor which was pushing 80% gpu usuage with it in windowed mode ( according to AB and Nvidia inspector before and the video) and browser playing a 4k6fps vp9 video it played smooth for me. again no web render here, maybe a addon confliction? to many things can cause stutter saddly

11. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Doubt it. I have only three extensions and on YouTube only one is active. Also I've set gfx.font_rendering.directwrite.use_gdi_table_loading to false but I doubt that will cause it.

There was a very known bug that caused VP9 decoding stutter and they "kinda fixed it". But that wasn't quite perfect, thus the occasional stutter/frame jumping when there's GPU activity. Moving to WebRender fixed it on my end at least.

12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    dont know what that setting your talking about but I dont have it. like said to many thing cause stutter it all smooth on my end for 4k60fps even with 80+ load to gpu.

I am on 1803 build of windows and 411.63 drivers

13. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX670 PEOC@1350Mhz
    [​IMG]

Librefox: Browse With Freedom

This project aims at enforcing privacy and security of Firefox without forking the project.

Librefox uses more than 500 privacy/security/performance settings (gHacks and additional options), patches, Librefox-Addons (optional) and a cleaned bundle of Firefox (updater, crashreporter and Firefox's integrated addons that don't respect privacy are removed).

Features:

*Updated browser: because this project is not a fork, it is kept updated with the latest Firefox version.

some interesting features:

Extensions Firewall:

IJWY (I Just Want You To Shut Up):

more infos and Download @ https://github.com/intika/Librefox

gonna keep my eyes on this one, might be an good alternative..(fast and secure)

14. Extraordinary

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    It was enabled in my FF by default, or something enabled it

[​IMG]

What is Firefox Accessibility Service?

Firefox Accessibility Service is a technology built into Firefox that provides 3rd party applications running on the same device the ability to inspect, monitor, visualize, and alter web page content hosted within Firefox.

Assistive Technologies
    Applications that provide access to web content hosted in Firefox for users with physical impairments often enable Firefox Accessibility Service. This is the intended use of Firefox Accessibility Service.

Anti-Virus and Anti-Malware Browser Plugins
    Often described as "browser protections" promoting security improvements, these features rarely add valuable security to Firefox and other browsers. Most are poorly designed and poorly tested, and can inadvertently disable more effective security measures built into Firefox. These features also often cause problems during upgrades to Firefox, triggering nasty startup crashes and other abnormalities.

Mozilla does not support or sanction this use of Accessibility Service and actively works with anti-virus vendors to migrate their Accessibility Service extensions to other Firefox extension mechanisms designed for this use.

Mozilla recommends disabling these anti-virus features if they enable Firefox Accessibility Service.

Enterprise or Educational Monitoring and Access
    Corporate sign-on assistive technologies, copyright protection, employee and student monitoring, and remote access through remote desktop technologies often turn Firefox Accessibility Service on.

Niche Shareware or Freeware applications
    Firefox Accessibility service is occasionally consumed by niche software applications that interact with your web browser to accomplish unique tasks or duties. Examples include: automatic web page form filling, time use tracking, and media managers.

Mozilla does not support or sanction this use of Accessibility Service and suggests these application vendors migrate their software to more appropriate browser extension mechanisms.

Mozilla recommends disabling or uninstalling these applications if they enable Firefox Accessibility Service.

Malware and Adware
    Firefox Accessibility Service can be abused by malware, if present, to monitor user behaviour or access user information on the web.

If you suspect your device is infected with malware, consider purchasing and running a competent anti-malware software product to address the issue.

What is the impact of having Firefox Accessibility Service enabled?
    • Firefox Accessibility Service may negatively impact Firefox browsing performance
    • Third party applications may be monitoring your web surfing activity
    • Firefox stability may be adversely affected
    https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/accessibility-services

BetA likes this.
  15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    hmm that unchecked by defualt on my end for some reason so I checked it

Extraordinary likes this.

16. Extraordinary