Moving to US. Need help..?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Ice Cube, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Ice Cube

Ice Cube Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670
    I'm posting this on the behalf of my friend. I'd really appreciate if you guys help him out.

Hello everyone,
    I'm a 22 years old Indian guy and i have just got a job at an Google. Now i am moving to the Mountain View California, United States and i am really worried about it. I know very little about the US, the climate, the people, the culture, the society etc. What should i wear? What outfit is considered suitable for the city? Any rules and regulation laws etc that i should watch out for?

What about the people? Will they be nice to me or be racist..? Sorry i have so many questions but its the first time i am traveling out of my country. Tips and pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.. :)

Also, apart from CA, i want to know what the US is like, i mean what is the situation of Indians in US in general. I've read in online forums that they are targeted by hate groups and are despised by the Americans. Is this true..? Just curious.

I've seen people mistaking the term "Indian" for the native Americans. What word should i use so that people don't mistake me for a native?

BTW, i don't speak with an Indian accent. I've worked hard and trained myself into speaking a rather neutral accent, which sounds mostly American with a touch of the British accent, just sayin'.

2. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    The cool thing about the US, is that once you get a few social norms down, you're pretty much set. And those norms mostly involve not bothering other people too much. Like staring, or excessive touching, that kind of thing.

Aside from that, honestly, its pretty much down to whoever you want to be and however you want to dress, there will be a niche for you. While it is uncommon, it isn't unheard of for many cultures to dress traditionally here, and, for the most part, you'll be treated normally. Aside from that, you're going to be in California, so some shorts and a t-shirt will fit you right in.

As for discrimination, by and large, no. Probably less so in California, even. Every country is going to have its share of foreigner discrimination, some worse than others, but you'll find that it really isn't prevalent.

As for what to call yourself, Indian is fine. It's not really a mistake anymore, as it was at the beginning. Native American is probably the correct term, but tons of people still call them Indians, but its not as if they don't know what India is. Maybe easier to say you're "from India" than "Indian."

3. Uncle Dude

Uncle Dude Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    There is absolutely no singular American mindset. It's a gigantic place with 350 million people, every type of landscape, and divergent attitudes to match. The Bay Area of California is probably the most liberal and diverse region in the entire country, so I can't imagine your friend having any problems; he certainly won't stand out.

I've never heard of Indian people being the target of any hate groups, but then again, I'm a white guy. Best of luck.

4. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Please note I am note trying to be racist, discriminatory or anything else in this post.

It depends on where in India your friend is from, and the physical characteristics he has. Southern Indians are very dark, people may associate that with African-American. People from middle and more northern India are lighter skin and people are more likely to associate that with latino. Far northern Indians (Sikh's etc) may be associated with Arab...

Religion would probably be more of a problem for a lot of people rather than your skin colour. Muslims are not well liked by many Americans and if he requires to pray 5 times a day this may make some people uneasy. Inside Google itself he shouldn't have an issue, public and other settings he may have to be more discerning. If he is Hindu or Sikh, religion would be much less of an issue, although turbins may get some ridicule from racists. Not eating beef is perfectly acceptable, as long as people think it's under the guise of supposed health reasons and not religious reasons. I believe Sikh's aren't so constraint by not eating beef when not in India?

Discrimination comes from 'not being like'. If he dresses and speaks articularly, pray's in private (if required), he should be fine. Saying needing Halal food (if necessary) would be fine in many settings, and in settings where that may draw attention simply be vegetarian.

Also don't be offended if people don't understand, or aren't aware of needs or certain religions, such as Ramadan.

I should point out I'm not from the US or ever been there, but the above is true for any western country. The same has to work in reverse too, and this does catch a lot of 'western' people out. I do know numerous Americans through university, and also Indians (including Sikh's. Hindu's, and Muslims), even some with first hand experience of America, so I am conveying what they have told me. I have a Sikh friend (who is 6ft 5) who was in America for a few months and more than just a few people thought he was Greek!

Last edited: Aug 5, 2012

5. angmar

angmar Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI Founders
    wear whatever you want dude. You dont have to wear anything special other then whatever your job mandates you to wear at work.

6. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8

Yes^...Working for Google in Mountain View California...=Dream Job:):):)

7. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Probably recommend a bullet proof vest based on recent weeks (and again today).

8. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Huh?:3eyes:
    [​IMG]

9. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 TI
    i think he is referring to overall events around US

10. Lethal Abz

Lethal Abz Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 470
    Why would you even want to work/live in the US

11. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Mod edit

I understand your frustration at the obvious sentiment in this post but please don't respond like that.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2012
  12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Yet, the US really has no more crime than any other country....

@OP, thatguy and uncle pretty well nailed it. Don't try to conform....but don't intentionally try to stand out either. Try not to discuss religious views/beliefs with those outside of your own religion as some people are overly sensitive on the subject and can be offended rather easily. Aside from that, be yourself.

13. connta

connta Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX660Ti TwinFrozr IV
    how does someone who knows nothing about US gets a job at Google?

im not trying to be condescending, im genuinely interested.

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Because Google is a global company and thus hires globally.

15. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Why would you even post this rubbish? You don't have to answer that.

No.

16. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    welcome aboard OP

17. Lethal Abz

Lethal Abz Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 470
    It was a genuine question. This person is from the Asian sub-continent and knows nothing about the US (not saying you have to know alot about the US). Even asking what they wear, so thus was asking why would you want to move away about 12,000 miles to a totally different environment. I suppose it is for the experience or career prospect. Good to see all the mods jump in like I was taking away USA's pride.

18. adabiviak

adabiviak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980Ti
    Dude, you're working in Mountain View... for Google... of all the places where racism is a problem, that's not really one of them. I live in California, and you're about to find out first-hand why the property values here are off the charts: it's freakin' paradise (in answer to your question about climate, for example).

If you want to err on the side of caution on your first day, wear black pants, a button up polo shirt (tucked in, small if any logos: your basic 'golf' shirt), and make sure your shoes match your belt. That's a pretty average 'business casual' outfit. Once you're in, you can safely adjust from there (button-up shirt + tie, shorts + t-shirt, Armani tux, whatever). For getting around in town, well, fashion is not my strong point. I wear shorts and a t-shirt (leftover skateboard attire from high school).

The culture here is pretty hard to define, especially in affluent urban areas - it's an amalgam of sub cultures. You'll make friends at work, and see about hanging out with them. What sort of things are you into? Riding bicycles? Skateboards? Surfing? Backpacking? Womanizing? TF2? (look me up!), Swimming? Competitive Shuffleboard? It's all here somewhere. A very common 'after work' activity is going out to eat/drink (alcohol)... maybe going out to watch a movie at the theater. That said, there are a zillion things to do that don't involve either of those things available here.

Showing someone your middle finger (vertically, usually) can be considered offensive enough to get beaten, especially if you do it to an aggressive stranger. That said, this gesture may be used amicably and humorously among friends, but seriously - don't do it to a stranger. Search wikipedia for "Finger (gesture)". Other than maybe grabbing your crotch with some attitude, there aren't very many other gestures you would stumble into that will cause problems.

Profanity really depends on your circle of friends. I swear like a sailor when I'm with my friends, but I lock that down when I'm in professional situations at work, for example.

Indians may refer to "Native Americans" or "East Indians", which I believe you're the latter. If you need to clarify yourself, just use 'East Indian'. For the record, Native Americans and East Indians don't look very similar, so there shouldn't be much if any confusion.

I can't say how Indians fare across the entire U.S., but at the very least, you won't be alone in Mountain View. Are you Sikh, or do you subscribe to a religion that requires that you wear overt religious ornamentation? That could get you the occasional insult I guess.

Do you have any acquaintances here in California, or are you flying in blind? I live a few hours away from Mountain View (I imagine you're flying into San Francisco airport?), and might be talked into giving you a formal introduction to the states.

19. Goutan

Goutan Master Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti
    Basically what everyone else has said - I've grown up in California and of all places to move to, this is one of the least to be nervous about in terms of being available to foreigners. People rarely get called out on race, attire, or actions. If you're doing something completely out of the ordinary, the most common response is for people to just ignore it.

One warning that I can give - and this is prevalent in highly populated areas in California, is in regards to the rapid change of culture from one street corner to another. Generally "bad neighborhoods" are looked down upon but aren't terribly dangerous, but if you do want to avoid an area like this, it may take a little getting used to at first. It is very common to have a very low income area about a block away from a 150k+ household/year area. There is very little to fear about less-fortunate zones, but if it makes you nervous, you may want to explore during the day and map out places that you're comfortable with before you go wandering around at night.

Also, save for privately owned business, it is very uncommon for bargaining to be reasonable. While it isn't a crime to suggest "let's make a deal", this is one line that pisses off quite a few (myself included) Americans. Generally, expect to pay for set prices, and don't push for variations.

Last thing, and this is based on people from India that I know: don't be overly passive. Many of the people born in India who have moved here that I've met will smile, and nod, and agree even when they don't. America isn't a hostile environment. Often times, nobody really gives a **** about each others' opinions so you shouldn't be afraid to voice yours if you feel it's pertinent. If someone is being a complete ass to you, just remember, our families immigrated here in the last few hundred years too - it's as much your land as it is theirs.

20. Ice Cube

Ice Cube Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670
    He got selected at campus selection. He had a really high CGPA at college, and he impressed the interviewers with his resume, that's how.