moving HDD to new system

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by DF-1, Jun 20, 2011.

1. DF-1

DF-1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA gtx 580
    Hey guys, I need to move my HDD into my new PC with completely different hardware, motherboard chipsets/etc and retain all the data I can.

I saw that this is sort of doable with either windows repair installation or sysprep, can anyone give me more info?

2. naike

naike Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH5870
    As far as I know sysprep is enough.
    Never actually tried it though.

3. DF-1

DF-1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA gtx 580
    how would i go on doing this?

Do i need to go to device manager before and uninstall drivers/chipsets?

4. Dre46

Dre46 Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 580
    First try safe mode, then uninstall all drivers....then try normal boot or safe mode.

5. naike

naike Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH5870
    What I would do is google :p
    Other than that, I would just uninstall all drivers, download the new drivers for convenience, then do sysprep and install the old HDD in the new system.
    Then install drivers obviously.

6. DF-1

DF-1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA gtx 580
    yeah i googled for hours, the only thing i could find is repair install and sysprep, or the obvious clean install.

I think im going to go with your plan, uninstalling most drivers (enough just to run sysprep) then do it and install the drive and drivers.

but im un sure of what I should uninstall in the device manager, there are 20 USB related things, 20 chipset ones, and more. im afraid that If ill uninstall a certain one thats required to work, I won't be able to boot anymore and actually DO the sysprep.

7. naike

naike Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH5870
    Don't touch USB things, unless you have some USB 3.0 host controller for example, if not, just leave them since it might happen that none of your USB devices work anymore, and then you have to do a clean install of Windows.
    Just install the normal stuff, sound drivers, gpu drivers and chipset etc. (Also any other drivers like cpu related stuff).
    You can try to start the installer for the chipset driver and see if it gives you an option to uninstall.

8. HandyAndy

HandyAndy Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 580 SOC
    i took my old hdd, and put it in the new machine, and then turned it on. That's how i moved mine across...

9. DF-1

DF-1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA gtx 580
    wow, and windows recognized all the new hardware, and deleted the old things?

everywhere i looked it sounds like people are unanimously saying that that's impossible. unless its the same exact specs.

10. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    It can be done with Windows 7....actually I upgraded from an nForce7 board to this AMD chipset pretty much the same way.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011

11. DF-1

DF-1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA gtx 580
    So not to touch it at all with sysprep? just remove sata/power and plug it in to the new one?

need to make a final decision in 3hours.

thanks for all the help so far! :)

12. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Yep....I'd boot up in safe mode first tho, then once you see the desktop is loaded just reboot normally and install the latest chipset drivers..

Oh and be sure your AHCI/IDE HDD settings are the same in both old and new BIOS.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  13. DF-1

DF-1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA gtx 580
    So, I tried going for the sysprep, said might as well have an extra-layer of security. I get this error.

[​IMG]

I upgraded from win7 RC to retail, I think thats why.

googling it says I can delete something in the registery, problem is, its not in there!

Is there any other fix? or should I pray that windows 7 can magically delete my chipsets/drivers and install new ones? :S

i have ~ an hour before I have to finish this and then must take the HDD's out. any help would be much appreciated!

14. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    You've already been helped....but if you don't take the advice you've been given then I guess you're on your own.