Movies don't play no more ...

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Webwiper, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Webwiper

Webwiper Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Extreme X850XT @ PE with Artic ATI Silencer 5
    Cleaned all ati-stuff with driver-cleaner professional ...

Installed ATI 6.1 catalyst (official) without CCC ...

Now I can't play any type of movie ? This is what appears :

"Can't play the file. Possibly the player doesn't support this file-type or the used codec used to compress this file"

What happened ?

2. 1wacko

1wacko Master Guru

GPU:
    2 ATI HD3870 512 MB in CF
    I had the same thing but with the CCC version. I had to reinstall all of my players again QTime, Real Player and WMP. Unfortunatly I'm still having problems with WMP playig anything. Even Real Player is not playing any wma or wmv files. I installed all the codecs again too.

I've been looking for a solution all over the Internet with no luck.

3. 8itgreat

8itgreat Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb w/Si
    its a codec issue most likely... download k-lite codec pack and before installing it uninstall any codecs previously installed on your system.

reboot....bobs your uncle

http://home.hccnet.nl/h.edskes/mirror.htm

4. ace11

ace11 Member

8itgreat , you have no clue what you're talking about.
    k-lite codec is a bunch of spywarez.
    the above problem they described is coused by buged DC 1.3 !!!
    it corrupted one of the importand reg. keys.
    therefor DC 1.4 is out , but only sys restore or re-inst. of XP will help them.

5. 1wacko

1wacko Master Guru

GPU:
    ace11, what is a DC 1.3 or DC 1.4?

6. ace11

ace11 Member

driver cleaner

7. 1wacko

1wacko Master Guru

GPU:
    I think you are correct ace11 becuase i did use DC 1.3 immediatly before this happened.

So you don't think there is a solution for this except sys restore or re-inst. of XP?

8. Webwiper

Webwiper Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Extreme X850XT @ PE with Artic ATI Silencer 5
    I performed a system restore to yesterday (before i used DC 1.3) and everything works again :dave: I'll just install the 6.1 drivers over the old ones and see what gives ...

thx people !

9. ace11

ace11 Member

again: the only complete solution is sys restore or re install [dont need the complete install , only repair option].
    there are other solutions but they give partial heal.

10. 1wacko

1wacko Master Guru

GPU:
    Thanks guys too...I did a restore of my hard disk image backup, which I did one day before using DC 1.3 thank God, and it restored my PC back to its working original.

Everything is working now perfect. I'll just take another image backup of my hard disk before trying DC 1.4 and the new 6.1 drivers :).

Thanks again.

11. tweakme

tweakme New Member

Had the same odd problem and made me cuss like a sailor.
    I couldnt play any kind of videofiles NONE. Even standard mp3 musicfiles.
    Tried to uninstall all codecs and drivers and a reinstall but nothing. Even tried in safemode to reinstall codecs and stuff but no go.
    The only thing that helped me was a system restore and im now happeh but still paranoid that the problem will occure again...

So if anyone i mean Anyone that have a solution for this please enlighten us.

12. 1wacko

1wacko Master Guru

GPU:
    mine happened when i used driver cleaner (dc) 1.3, but dc 1.4 fixed it. i was wondering if you (tweakme) did use it too or any kind of cleaner, or you have just changed anything in the registry. this was the first time ever i faced a problem like this.

i'm not worried that it will happen again. but that is why it is always better to have image back-ups of your hard disks.

to be honest i don`t know why it happened, but i`m assuming dll files were unregistered and deleted from the registry and the harddisk that were needed.

that`s my 2 cents on the subject.

13. Richard_Noggin

Richard_Noggin Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 GT 512MB
    any fix yet ?

14. 8itgreat

8itgreat Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb w/Si

First off who tf are you? lol... second k-lite may be a bit bloated but i have not encountered any spyware in any of the codecs i've chosen to install and use (yes you can choose which codecs you install )

Third 99.99% of the time when media doesn't play on a computer it's a ****ing codec problem. This reason i know this is because i have fixed this issue many times over and all but one time it wasn't a f-ing codec issue.

people bitch and moan about k-lite codec pack and other bundled codec packs for years now but it's easier to install a pack than delete and or uninstall your whole codec library individually.

In this case it appears you are correct and was unaware of a bad release of driver cleaner. I'm still using dc pro ver. 1.2 build 27 and has worked fine....last time i upgraded my vid drivers with omega 5.12's a while ago.

I never use system restore (its turned off ) I just create a ghost image of my os drive and reinstall it if ever an issue or prob i can't fix manually. Next time you have an answer to a problem here there is no need to verbally attack another member in such a pompous manner, especially someone with 16 posts so far.

In the end glad the original poster's problem looks like it has been fixed.

15. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Just speaking of codecs I have always had great luck with the Ace mega codecs pack..you can turn codec on and off like you have switches..very cool way to set things up...I have never tried others..except for Nimo..then Ace and now I am stuck on ace..just a thought..