Movies Discussion

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by masterchiefx2, Oct 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6950 Unlocked 900/1250
    I watched half of it then fell asleep. Then skipped through the rest the next day and realised it was silly and never missed anything.

2. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    i actually liked the fiction one, Apollo 13 was based on the real thing but it didn't work for me, besides Apollo 18 felt like a SyFy movie and i'm a huge fan of this crap, it was so bad it's good. :D

3. UnrealGaming

UnrealGaming Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Howls Moving Castle [2004]

9.5/10

Same as "Spirited Away" - perfection.

4. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    WC 980GTX
    Too bloody right.

[​IMG]

Weird, really good until it gets to about 2 / 3 of the way through and then it just meanders to a slow and kinda boring end

5. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rx480 8GB
  6. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Moderator Staff Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    The Human Centipede 2

[​IMG]

5/10

its worth a one time watch. it got really boring about halfway through. 1st one was way better.

7. the_recluse

the_recluse Member

GPU:
    Palit Daytona fx5900
    "Lucky #Slevin" 10/10

8. Poison

Poison Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming
    [​IMG]
    i never forget this so i give this 9/10

9. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    Is this for real.

Apollo 13 is one of those great films; really catches the events and makes you appreciate the real men the US sent into space in a program that forever changed human history.

Plus the tension in the film, its constant . Real problems faced by real people solved through great teamwork and the ability to improvise. The way they used the LEM to provide power to the command module and to power around the moon... boy oh boy where those guys Grumman must have been real proud of their work.

I give it a 9/10

Tom hanks also made an interested series on HBO called From the earth to the moon.

10. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    TheThing - remake

amazing movie, just like the original if not even better. A must see for theThing fans :D

9/10

11. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I thought it was a prequel?

I've actually never saw the original, even though i have it on HDDVD of all things, might be worth something in 50 years lol.

If it is a prequel, wonder if i should watch the new one, then the original, might feel dated afterwards, but if it's a better film it will be a good way to do it.

12. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    It is a prequel. The Thing could never be remade and get anywhere near the original imo.

13. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Which is why i think i should watch it first, it's the only way i'm not going to hate the prequel i think as i'm a pretty big John Carpenter fan, from Directing to music, he was one of my favourites when i was younger.

The reason i'm asking is that not long watched.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes 2011 - 7/10
    [​IMG]

Really enjoyed this, best film i have watched in months, and while it doesn't a have the impact the original did when i first watched it, i think if i had watched both at the same time, i would appreciate this prequel even more, and so so much better than the Tim Burton remake.

14. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    Not really. I saw the original back in the early 90's and this story now is pretty much the same. Its also happening in 1982 just like the original. To me it looked like a remake with 3-4 different acts, hehe even the music was the same :D

With almost the same cast, few Norwegians, 3-4 USA folks one of them is a black guy and that husky dog. Except in the original that dog "started to spread this infection" but here he disappeared as that creature already ate him and hide itself in some hangar. Rest looked almost the same, with the same outcome

edit:
    @ redemption,

First watch the original then this sequel/remake :devil:

well first one was scarier to me, or maybe because i was still a kid back then xD hehe now i kinda knew what to expect and yea the story is pretty much the same.. But still i recommend you to see both, although this 2011 version looked better with uglier/more believable creature mutations lol:bat:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  15. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Just watched In Time

I don't like rating films out of 10 but I thought it was a decent film, pretty good and definitely worth a watch.

16. MrH

MrH Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Armour
    I went on a bit of a stand up comedy spree and watched all the new DVDs I was interested in:

Alan Carr: Spexy Beast Live - 8/10
    John Bishop Live: The Sunshine Tour - 6/10
    Sarah Millican: Chatterbox Live - 9/10
    Jimmy Carr: Being Funny - 8.5/10
    Reginald D. Hunter: Live - 7/10
    Tim Vine: Joke-Amotive - 6.5/10

17. Major Melchett

Major Melchett Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    The Thing 2011.

If your a The Thing fan then i'd say just watch the older and much better version and save yourself some money, it's was so similar BUT just worse. Basically the writter did the same to this as he did with Nightmare, made a poor imitation (pun intended) of the original.

4/10 (original is easily 9/10).

By all means watch it, but you've seen it all before years ago with better actors, better effects (the CG in this is really obvious and pales in comparision to the originals effects), better script, well just plain everything better :D.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  18. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    Lol i think i'll watch the original again, its been 10-15ysears since the last time i saw it xD

But this remake ("prequel") is not sooo bad, definitely not a 4 :)

The thing that freaked me the most by the original were all those gross guts and the intense atmosphere which was missing here in this 2011 version - it tried to be intense, but in the end it was just a mild scare with few freakish parts :D

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  19. Major Melchett

Major Melchett Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    For me it is a 4, i just couldn't help thinking through out "ohh look that scene again" and "ohh look he's supposed to be Mac" etc, but that's me. I actully just finished watching the original on blu-ray about an hour ago and i just find it a much better movie (Friday night is scary movie night - Alien is about to go on :banana:).

I did the same with the Nightmare remake (i mention it as the writter for The Thing remake is the same as the Nightmare remake - i say writter but it should be copycat), i watched it at the cinema and the next day watched the entire original Nightmare collection on DVD and thought the same thing "how can you take a classic and make it worse in nearly every way".

Glad you like it but i sure didn't (as you can tell).

20. rflair

rflair Don Commisso Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 980/290X
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.