Movies Discussion

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by masterchiefx2, Oct 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scorch666

Scorch666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4060 laptop
    Yeh man. I love them. I have literally just finished watching Inside for the second time. Absolutely savage. Gonna watch Martars tomorrow. I watched Frontier(s) the other day. I love these French films. :):banana:

2. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    The Ghost Writer, IMO best I've seen this year. 10/10. Although it helps to be a bit of thinking man and grasp politics a bit to really appreciate.

3. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    i watched it yesterday, stopped it around the 40 min mark and returned the dvd, plot holes galore and waste of a cast.

i love thinking man, politics movies etc but this just didn't work for me, terrible movie.

4. glock38

glock38 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 285 2GB
    LOL, I'm not sure if you're serious mate. Are you the same guy who gave junk like Solomon Kane a 10/10, The Crazies 8.5/10, Tales from the Hood 8/10 and you found an excellent film like The Ghost Writer a terrible movie? I don't think you like thinking movies, otherwise you wouldn't have turned The Ghost Writer off after 40 mins. The poster above you is right, it is one of the best movies of the year. I wouldn't quite give it a 10/10 though, more so a 8.5/10.

Gosh! Some people have no clue whatsoever.

5. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    ever heard of personal preference?

6. glock38

glock38 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 285 2GB
    I didn't mean to come as being that aggressive, apologies to Year. It just irked me that someone can say they're into thinking movies/political movies and call The Ghost Writer terrible. Especially if they're rating films like Solomon Kane 10/10.

7. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    i'm a big fan of Polanski's works, Rosemary's baby and Ninth Gate rank high on my list, but Ghost Writer has too much dialogue and overacting, very little thrills and felt far too uneven which stalled the movie, simply didn't work for me, sorry.

as an example, you have people who love fps games but don't like the popular Crysis, they're not clueless? infact many are very polite, helpful and respected people, it's called personal preference mate, you shouldn't expect every person to like the same things you do be it a game or a movie no matter how good it is or worse call people clueless, it's not right. :)

as for Solomon Kane, the movie may be junk to you (which is no problem at all) but if you check here you'll find another user who loved the movie to bits, so i'm not the only one who voted the movie quite high. :p

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=3642621&postcount=779

cheers. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  8. glock38

glock38 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 285 2GB
    You liked Rosemary's Baby? I take everything back sir, that movie was awesome. :)

It's ever more odd though, a Polanksi fan not liking Ghost Writer, the film's style and mood and Polanksi written all over it, IMO anyway.

9. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    aye, of course i love Rosemary's Baby i'm mainly a horror movies fan and i find the direction, dialogs, acting and everything else simply fantastic, perfection (let alone the ending), anyway just because a director is polanski or kubrik (big names) doesn't mean people must like every movie they ever made, what really matters in the end is the movie and how it worked for you, not who made it :)

Alice In Wonderland 2010

definitely a movie i liked with some great special effects. :p

[​IMG]

7/10

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  10. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    Letters From Iwo Jima (2006)

Before Gran Torino (2008), Clint Eastwood directed a war movie about the battle for the island of Iwo Jima as told from the perspective of the Japanese soldiers who defended it. Whereas many of its contemporaries succumb to dwelling on unnecessary drama, Letters maintains a controlled and sincere tone throughout, culminating in the unlikely camaraderie between Sam the Marine and Commander Nishi.

The film explores prejudice, conflicting values of duty to family and duty to nation, as well as the significance of honor to Japanese soldiers in the early 1940's. The narrative sets the stage for critique against the paradoxical demands placed upon Japanese soldiers in moments demanding self-sacrifice but remains objective enough not to preach towards either side. Overall a worthy war-film.

7.8/10

----------------

Taken (2008)

Although Liam Neeson seems an unlikely pick for the lead role of a big blockbuster revenge action film, he delivers a convincing performance and easily stands out as the highlight of the cast. The film is characterized by satisfying action sequences which defy the PG-13 rating, as well as a credible and contemporary plot. Overall a solid action movie with occasional problems maintaining suspension of disbelief.

6.9/10

----------------

[REC] 2 (2009)

Following the (lame) revelation concerning the cause of the outbreak, the plot halts to a standstill and remains stagnant throughout. The hollywoodification of basic elements does no favors for setting this film apart. A disappointing sequel to a cult classic.

6.1/10

----------------

Saw V (2008)
    Saw VI (2009)

All the familiar Saw-antics are present, including plot revelations and moral dilemmas. Fans of the franchise will not be disappointed and casual horror-fans will find enough thrills to be left satisfied.

7.2/10
    7.3/10

----------------

The Wolfman (2010)

An average movie with a cast filled to the brim with wasted talent.

5.6/10

----------------

The Devil's Rejects (2005)

A worthy Bonnie & Clyde -style sequel to a very unworthy original.

6.5/10

----------------

Friday the 13th (2009)

A forgettable remake of a superior cult classic.

5.0/10

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011

11. Quicks

Quicks Guest

GPU:
    Red Devil RX 470 / 4GB
  12. the_recluse

the_recluse Member

GPU:
    Palit Daytona fx5900
    "The Mechanic" w/ Charles Bronson 10/10, most excellent ending.

13. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    The Hurt Locker (2008)

Nothing captivates interest like a movie that wins six Oscars. Alas, The Hurt Locker was somewhat disappointing. Though arguably authentic in its depiction of a typical day behind God's back, the movie subscribes heavily to clichés proliferated by its contemporaries and fails to deliver anything original in a saturated genre filled with me-too's. For an alternative which exhibits superior character development and political commentary, see Battle for Haditha (2007).

7.5/10

14. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    The Prisoner (mini series) 2009

watched it all in one go, meh liked the original 1967 version better, this modern remake kinda stinked, only high note was IAN McKellen as always an impressive actor.

[​IMG]

5/10

i'm a huge Bronson fan, i love all his movies and own them all. :nerd:

15. Strikerx80

Strikerx80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 980 Ti SC +120/+300
    saw predators last week and i thought it was pretty good. best predator movie since the original.

today i'm going to see inception

16. TheReproducer

TheReproducer Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3080
    I also enjoyed Predators, poor ending but good effort overall. Alice Braga has never looked so hot too, with that big ass sniper!

You're going to love Inception, the whole movie still haunts my mind in a good way. You'll understand after you've seen it.

17. Strikerx80

Strikerx80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 980 Ti SC +120/+300

OMG yeah i know what you mean! inception was really something :infinity:

agree on predators also. the whole movie was great, but the ending was a little off... i know what you mean.

18. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    The Road (2009)

Exhibiting beautifully bleak cinematography, The Road details the journey of father and son through a barren post-apocalyptic America. Though quite stagnant in terms of plot, the film immerses the viewer absolutely and encapsulates all the qualities which make a character-driven piece of fiction good. Despondently gloomy portrayal of day-to-day survival and scarce altercations maintains elevated tension throughout, though at the expense of significant emotional fatigue. You know a movie has been successful when, despite anticipating exactly what comes to pass, it still manages to make you cry.

8.4/10

19. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    Westbrick Murders [2010]

a movie with the same visual style of Sin City... and what happens when you copy the good visual style but add crappy acting and story? ye get a POS :wanker:

3/10

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  20. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Watched shutter island tonight and thought it was pretty cool.. Suprisingly I found it a bit predictable by the end of it, but it still made you think and the effects and acting were good.. 8 for 10

Also watched The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and found it quite interesting.. very intrigued by it all. also would give it an 8 for 10

Saw inception in IMAX a few days ago and holy $hitballz whata film! Keeps you entertained throughout and really makes you follow along without missing a beat or the story dropping or slowing down really. one of the best films of the year for me, 9.5 for 10

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.