1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Movies Discussion #2

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by hallryu, Dec 3, 2011.

1. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Its been decades, still looks entertaining.

Noisiv likes this.
  2. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970 Mini, KD55XD800
    I just watched Get Out https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5052448/

Hot damn that is one of the best films I have seen in a long time, the first half hour or so is quite slow but the last half hour more than makes up for it, got my heart pounding.

If you've not watched it yet but have heard of it, you really cannot read anything of the plot other than the imdb summary.

Looking forward to Peele's next film

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  3. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    I just seen bohemian rhapsody.

Its been a while since ive been this impressed and emotional from a movie.
    What a great casting , they resemble queen and those around them so well , it was frightening.

def recommended 10/10

Keitosha and Undying like this.
  4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -NDA +AW@240Hz
    First name: "Mister." Last Name: "Glass".
    Never a dull moment. Intelligent. Dramatic. Epic.

If only those Marvel and DC movies could touch feet of this level. It is 2019, chances are good that this is best Superhero/Villain movie of decade.

5. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    That's interesting considering "Split" was panned pretty bad.

6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -NDA +AW@240Hz
  7. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Kind of have an urge to see some old Bond movies lately. Especially ones with Richard Kiel (Jaws) in them.

ramthegamer likes this.
  8. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    WC 980GTX
    So is anyone able to explain why Black Panther has gotten a best picture nod at the Oscars this year, as well as getting several other nominations? Within it's own genre it was a painfully average movie but shockingly it wasn't even the best superhero movie of last year with Deadpool 2 being far more fun and Infinity War just being... well better in every single measurable way, better visuals, better music, better story, better bad guy, just better. Hell even Aquaman had more scenes init that actually looked much more impressive than those of Black Panther, it also had just as many dodgy CGI moments. So why?

More importantly will all the fanboys sh*t the bed when it doesn't win as happened with the Golden Globes?

Fox2232 and fantaskarsef like this.
  9. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    I have previously said that i like t2 better and i still do, but there is no better movie in the world of cinema that catches the 80s scifi feel as much as the first terminator does, the soundtrack is just downright superb, listen to this:

Downright amazing 80s scifi synth, brad fiedel is a genius

MaCk0y likes this.
  10. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti @h2o
    I kind of understand how you feel. I haven't seen Black Panther (since it's yet another super hero movie, cinemas are extremely expensive here, and he even got lame powers for a super hero), but first thing I thought when they got the best motion picture nomination, it's just politics... and somebody truely not racist couldn't care less if they're all black.
    But I susped it's just to give the movie more credit than the film maker's work actually would justify. Just my impression about many, many nominations for such awards in general.

11. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    WC 980GTX
    Just watched Upgrade, damn what a really good movie, the shocking thing is that it felt more like a Ghost In The Shell movie than the recent GITS movie was.

12. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti XS OC
    Tried watching Solo on Netflix, but couldn't make it past 20 minutes.

13. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Went and watched Dragonball Super: Broly Tuesday night. Holy crap that movie was the hype!!!

Some jaring CGI in it (not as bad as the Frieza movie) but overall DB has never looks this good. Story wise best movie of the franchise and it was great all around, actually funny parts in there (most humor in DB falls flat for me) and I liked how they let the animators go off model during these moments.

Now to the action it's spectacular. Seriously even if you are not a fan the movie is a spectical and you are doing yourself a disservice not seeing it in a theater.

Keitosha, MaCk0y and fantaskarsef like this.
  14. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 Red Devil
    Yeah the spaceships did not look good in CGI. It was a good movie but I think I am getting old for this. Too much screaming from Broly was getting to me. :D I actually didn't want to watch the movie because I didn't watch the series except for Battle of Gods and Resurrection F which I heard are the first part of the series. But it was a free ticket.

T2 is one of my favourite movies. The only problem with T1 was the technology was not there yet. Still find the stop motion for the Terminator at the end freaky. :)

ramthegamer likes this.
  15. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega56 8GB \ GT1030
    Went to see the movie as well and is was epic. The animations, the fights and all that were intense. Freeza was exceptionally evilly depicted, I loved it. Storywise it was fine, but story never was DB's strong point (TBH the original Dragonball has the best story and is more considered an adventure), but at least it didn't involve a crying Kakarot causing problems. ;)

Then again, really a movie I want to see again and can't wait for Dragonball Super to continue later this year. It will be set after Broly. Imagine Broly and Kale sparring each other.

16. Dragon14

Dragon14 Member

GPU:
    Model
    One of the best films I have ever seen based on real facts.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  17. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 Red Devil
    I think Ufotable is one of the best when it comes to animation. The Kara no Kyoukai movies starting from more than a decade ago have great animation. Better than most of today. But the most impressive has to be Jin-Roh from back in 2000. The fluidity in that one is impeccable.

18. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    I just seen Aquaman.
    And i again got confirmation that i enjoy DC comic movies much more then marvel. The story is so much better every time i watch one.
    I really enjoyed it, and because of this id rate it 8.5/10 and def recommended if you like superhero stuff.

19. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -NDA +AW@240Hz
    It has been many years since I last saw "To Kill a Mockingbird". Today I did see it again.
    Anyone from younger generation who did not have the opportunity may consider it...

Edit (not to double post unnecessarily):
    Rusty Angel... very well done. All characters introduced well, down to doggie. Additional run time used to actually give meaningful back stories and changes in characters shown better.
    Who knows the story knows how it is going to play for everyone out. Only big difference is that Hugo is not as idiotic/bad and therefore you are not like : "whatever, just kill him" and Chiren being intentionally less developed in certain aspects to not make audience as unhappy in the end. (I think that since they developed her backstory way they did, she deserved more screen time and viewer should have been more impacted.)
    Minor chroniton aphasia in events is not problem, it makes movie better.

In total, I give it 8.5/10 as it does not break anything important, nor does it push something that's not meant to be there at all. Btw. all doors are open for next set of movies.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  20. WilliG

WilliG Member

GPU:
    2GB
    Alita-Battle Angel,
    Good film, awesome CGI, crap ending!