1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Movies Discussion #2

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by hallryu, Dec 3, 2011.

1. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti XS OC
    Lethal Weapon 3. End of discussion.

ramthegamer likes this.
  2. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    WC 980GTX
    Except that it fails on points 2 and 4 however Lethal Weapon 1 doesn't.

3. cartdog

cartdog Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti H20
    Just watched a movie called "Alpha", a 2018 release. It's a portrayal of the first human interaction with the wolf which leads to a bond and the birth of mans best friend.

Lilith likes this.
  4. Lilith

Lilith Member Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 1080 EXOC 8Gb
    Would you recommend it? It looked really interesting to me.

cartdog likes this.

5. cartdog

cartdog Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti H20
    Look I found it interesting. Obviously theres a lot of CGI but also great costumes too. If you've got an 1hr and 40mins spare I'd watch it. It's a slow paced movie.

Lilith likes this.
  6. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    My opinion of a good action movie is:
    1994 s Speed
    1995s Fair game

7. WilliG

WilliG Member

GPU:
    2GB
    Watched 'The Nun' 2018 last night, a lot better than the reviews I had read, really enjoyed it, good Halloween film 7/10

8. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    Yeah the Nun was nice to watch.

watched The Predator today. You know there are bad movies and utter crap movies, well this fits in the latter category.
    Writing is really terrible, stupid acting. what has predator become omg

after i saw it i read a review of a guy who rated it 1/10 stars. I could not agree with him more in this case and all points he mentioned are valid.

Avoid at all cost!

9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -NDA +AW@240Hz
    Legenda o Kolovrate
    - Beautifully made movie about small squad of soldiers (outliving destruction of their city and death of their royalties) slowing down Mongol Horde to allow other rulers unite their armies, ... turning into stand to protect that's what is dearest.
    - Classical Slavic story telling => close to individual people.

(Ignore IMDB description, it is wrong.) And if you understand Russian even a tiny bit, original is much better than English as some things do not translate well.

Lilith likes this.
  10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -NDA +AW@240Hz
    Worst thing on that movie is ending and premise for sequel. WTF does not even begin to describe it.

11. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070 ti Strix
    New Cohen brothers movie hit Netflix last night. It's just as weird as you'd expect from them.

12. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    Seen quite a few movies recently, only gonna mention the ones worth mentioning.

Halloween
    Usually these type of movies are a fail and never get the level of the original movies.
    This one however is different, finally a good one. def recommended.

8/10

The great battle
    If you are into asian history fighting movies, this one is a nice one to watch, good story.

8/10

Peppermint
    Easy action movie, nothing too serious. however it was entertaining.

7/10

Sicario day of the soldado
    Nice action movie, tries to be serious, and kinda 3/4 it feels rushed and uninspirering.
    Still it was ok

6/10

Mission Impossible Fallout
    I expected a bad movie, but it actually wasnt that bad, i enjoyed it.
    7/10

13. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -NDA +AW@240Hz
    ^ I'll put Halloween into the Horror list, but I am not watching them anymore as they can't make them horrory enough.
    Thanks for "The Great Battle" it was not on my radar till now.

Peppermint was watchable while doing something else. I think Girl in the Spider's Web is much better movie in terms of female action character.
    1st Sicario was definitely 2 points above this one. This new one was too direct, not much to think about.

Not watching MI and other "Rubber Man" movies. Characters in those survive 10 times as much as is survivable. I prefer superheroes premise if character should be highly resilient. But even there it gets really absurd those days.
    (Superman throws batman with sufficient force to heavily deform police vehicle/wall. Batman would be Ketchup inside that armor of his due to acceleration and deceleration.)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  14. LNCPapa

LNCPapa Master Guru

GPU:
    2xEVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    I've just recently poked my head inside this thread and am now very interested in it. Seems like a great thread that I hope to contribute to.

As for me... I don't always watch movies for realism - in fact it's typically the other way around (I watch anime too). I watch action movies about 70% for the action and intensity and 30% for the sound. If they keep it too realistic I think I would lose much of what I like from action flicks. I also love superhero movies, but as I've mentioned I'm not tied to any sense of realism or believability unless it's a documentary or a drama.

15. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -NDA +AW@240Hz
    I liked new Godzilla movies:
    https://www.netflix.com/cz/title/80180373
    https://www.netflix.com/cz/title/80180376
    And Blame! But there one should probably read manga and other Nihei's creations.

I have not seen Seven Deadly Sins movie, yet. It should provide some comedy factor. Other than that 2018 was pretty uneventful year.

16. Texter

Texter Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    Let's see...I recently saw (and this post is the shorter version):

- The Girl with All the Gifts (2016) : post-apocalyptic zombie movie with military search for cure using children with an actual little girl starring and a lot more watchable than the predictable Maze Runner mess. And a single movie story, w. Glenn Close and Dominique Tipper (tiny role) 7/10

- The Machine (2013): conflicted near-contemporary AI doctor builds military babe bot flick that's wellmade, even fun with a typical but solid storyline. Best described as live action anime and unlike Blade Runner not so f@cking long and pretentious 7.5/10

- The Signal (2014): couple of obnoxious MIT (of course) kids track down some hacker in the desert in what turns out to be live-action anime 8/10
    (Can't bear to continue watching after five minutes? After ~10m Laurence Fishburne is in it throughout and he's awesome IMO.)

I'm sure everyone likes the John Wick movies and thinks The Martian could have been better. Arrival was slow, pretentious and a waste of time, The Machine contains similar elements yet those actually work. Villeneuve is so overrated, up there with the Nolans. Best to follow Waititi's work (Mandalorian and WWDITS TV series coming up).

TV: History's The Curse of Oak Island is back in a pretty entertaining 6th season -as far as they go- atm. 1,000+ Seismic charges have created an interesting image of what's under their feet...

I decided to finally dig into Nihei's manga universe last week after enjoying Knights of Sidonia anime and the Blame! movie ages ago...WHOA! Awesome alert! 'Less is more' with Nihei's Manga sound effects. Makes Sidonia look like a more accessible 'best of' collection...

17. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    WC 980GTX
    OOO love that movie loved the book would love to debate what you think would have made it better.

18. WilliG

WilliG Member

GPU:
    2GB
    Passengers.
    Kept me quite intently watching throughout, though probably not one I'll see again. Solid enough production and special effects, so well worth seeing once

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  19. arel77

arel77 Active Member

GPU:
    Msi gtx 1080ti FE
    wonder what happend to the tremors series that was supposed to come out based off the movie

20. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti XS OC
    I may have posted this before, but it never gets old.