Movies Discussion #2

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by hallryu, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Legenda o Kolovrate
    - Beautifully made movie about small squad of soldiers (outliving destruction of their city and death of their royalties) slowing down Mongol Horde to allow other rulers unite their armies, ... turning into stand to protect that's what is dearest.
    - Classical Slavic story telling => close to individual people.

(Ignore IMDB description, it is wrong.) And if you understand Russian even a tiny bit, original is much better than English as some things do not translate well.

Lilith likes this.
  2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Worst thing on that movie is ending and premise for sequel. WTF does not even begin to describe it.

3. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070ti 2114/4350
    New Cohen brothers movie hit Netflix last night. It's just as weird as you'd expect from them.

4. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    Seen quite a few movies recently, only gonna mention the ones worth mentioning.

Halloween
    Usually these type of movies are a fail and never get the level of the original movies.
    This one however is different, finally a good one. def recommended.

8/10

The great battle
    If you are into asian history fighting movies, this one is a nice one to watch, good story.

8/10

Peppermint
    Easy action movie, nothing too serious. however it was entertaining.

7/10

Sicario day of the soldado
    Nice action movie, tries to be serious, and kinda 3/4 it feels rushed and uninspirering.
    Still it was ok

6/10

Mission Impossible Fallout
    I expected a bad movie, but it actually wasnt that bad, i enjoyed it.
    7/10

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    ^ I'll put Halloween into the Horror list, but I am not watching them anymore as they can't make them horrory enough.
    Thanks for "The Great Battle" it was not on my radar till now.

Peppermint was watchable while doing something else. I think Girl in the Spider's Web is much better movie in terms of female action character.
    1st Sicario was definitely 2 points above this one. This new one was too direct, not much to think about.

Not watching MI and other "Rubber Man" movies. Characters in those survive 10 times as much as is survivable. I prefer superheroes premise if character should be highly resilient. But even there it gets really absurd those days.
    (Superman throws batman with sufficient force to heavily deform police vehicle/wall. Batman would be Ketchup inside that armor of his due to acceleration and deceleration.)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  6. LNCPapa

LNCPapa Master Guru

GPU:
    2xEVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    I've just recently poked my head inside this thread and am now very interested in it. Seems like a great thread that I hope to contribute to.

As for me... I don't always watch movies for realism - in fact it's typically the other way around (I watch anime too). I watch action movies about 70% for the action and intensity and 30% for the sound. If they keep it too realistic I think I would lose much of what I like from action flicks. I also love superhero movies, but as I've mentioned I'm not tied to any sense of realism or believability unless it's a documentary or a drama.

7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    I liked new Godzilla movies:
    https://www.netflix.com/cz/title/80180373
    https://www.netflix.com/cz/title/80180376
    And Blame! But there one should probably read manga and other Nihei's creations.

I have not seen Seven Deadly Sins movie, yet. It should provide some comedy factor. Other than that 2018 was pretty uneventful year.

8. Texter

Texter Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    Let's see...I recently saw (and this post is the shorter version):

- The Girl with All the Gifts (2016) : post-apocalyptic zombie movie with military search for cure using children with an actual little girl starring and a lot more watchable than the predictable Maze Runner mess. And a single movie story, w. Glenn Close and Dominique Tipper (tiny role) 7/10

- The Machine (2013): conflicted near-contemporary AI doctor builds military babe bot flick that's wellmade, even fun with a typical but solid storyline. Best described as live action anime and unlike Blade Runner not so f@cking long and pretentious 7.5/10

- The Signal (2014): couple of obnoxious MIT (of course) kids track down some hacker in the desert in what turns out to be live-action anime 8/10
    (Can't bear to continue watching after five minutes? After ~10m Laurence Fishburne is in it throughout and he's awesome IMO.)

I'm sure everyone likes the John Wick movies and thinks The Martian could have been better. Arrival was slow, pretentious and a waste of time, The Machine contains similar elements yet those actually work. Villeneuve is so overrated, up there with the Nolans. Best to follow Waititi's work (Mandalorian and WWDITS TV series coming up).

TV: History's The Curse of Oak Island is back in a pretty entertaining 6th season -as far as they go- atm. 1,000+ Seismic charges have created an interesting image of what's under their feet...

I decided to finally dig into Nihei's manga universe last week after enjoying Knights of Sidonia anime and the Blame! movie ages ago...WHOA! Awesome alert! 'Less is more' with Nihei's Manga sound effects. Makes Sidonia look like a more accessible 'best of' collection...

9. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    WC 980GTX
    OOO love that movie loved the book would love to debate what you think would have made it better.

10. arel77

arel77 Active Member

GPU:
    Msi gtx 1080ti FE
    wonder what happend to the tremors series that was supposed to come out based off the movie

11. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti XS OC
    I may have posted this before, but it never gets old.

12. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Its been decades, still looks entertaining.

Noisiv likes this.
  13. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    I just watched Get Out https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5052448/

Hot damn that is one of the best films I have seen in a long time, the first half hour or so is quite slow but the last half hour more than makes up for it, got my heart pounding.

If you've not watched it yet but have heard of it, you really cannot read anything of the plot other than the imdb summary.

Looking forward to Peele's next film

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  14. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    I just seen bohemian rhapsody.

Its been a while since ive been this impressed and emotional from a movie.
    What a great casting , they resemble queen and those around them so well , it was frightening.

def recommended 10/10

Keitosha and Undying like this.
  15. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    First name: "Mister." Last Name: "Glass".
    Never a dull moment. Intelligent. Dramatic. Epic.

If only those Marvel and DC movies could touch feet of this level. It is 2019, chances are good that this is best Superhero/Villain movie of decade.

16. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    That's interesting considering "Split" was panned pretty bad.

17. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
  18. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Kind of have an urge to see some old Bond movies lately. Especially ones with Richard Kiel (Jaws) in them.

ramthegamer likes this.
  19. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    WC 980GTX
    So is anyone able to explain why Black Panther has gotten a best picture nod at the Oscars this year, as well as getting several other nominations? Within it's own genre it was a painfully average movie but shockingly it wasn't even the best superhero movie of last year with Deadpool 2 being far more fun and Infinity War just being... well better in every single measurable way, better visuals, better music, better story, better bad guy, just better. Hell even Aquaman had more scenes init that actually looked much more impressive than those of Black Panther, it also had just as many dodgy CGI moments. So why?

More importantly will all the fanboys sh*t the bed when it doesn't win as happened with the Golden Globes?

Fox2232 and fantaskarsef like this.
  20. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    I have previously said that i like t2 better and i still do, but there is no better movie in the world of cinema that catches the 80s scifi feel as much as the first terminator does, the soundtrack is just downright superb, listen to this:

Downright amazing 80s scifi synth, brad fiedel is a genius

MaCk0y likes this.