Movies Discussion

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by hallryu, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Saw it in theaters.

Ender's Game:

[​IMG]

Rating: 6/10

The movie was horribly rushed, there is no other way to put it. Having read the books, you can see that they had a hard time choosing what to keep and what to throw away. Unlike the books, the movie doesn't really give you any reason to care for Ender or his relationship with the other cadets. It barely even touches on the relationship between him and his brother and sister, with them making barely a cameo in the film. The character who plays Bean completely misrepresents the character (spoiler: He smiles all the damn time in the movie). They also don't show Ender's or the cadets exhaustion by the end, which is why he made that final decision in the first place (he was sick of the games and their challenges).

Special effects are top notch though, musical score is pretty good as well. The battle room scenes are pretty poor though in relation to the rest of the special effects; command room is much better. Acting is rather poor overall though, the kid playing Ender has zero charisma and can't carry the character; Patria is much better though. They just needed more character development all around.

In summary, they should have made this a mini-series rather than a film. 2 hours is nowhere enough time to even get the story off the ground, even another half hour for the movie would have helped significantly. I fear that as a standalone film this horribly fails to convey the story and will end up driving away audiences from this series who have not read the book. Don't get me wrong, it's not BAD; it just doesn't really stand out above the generic sci-fi movie due to it being rushed.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  2. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    Hmm, well that is disappointing. Its especially disturbing to hear that Bean was off, because he is a big part of the Ender's Game series. I will probably see it within the next week or so and derive my own opinion, but I had a feeling it wouldn't stand up to the book.

3. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    I thought the first one was horrible, one of the worst movies I'd watched. This one was better then the first in your opinion?

4. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Yes, I would even say it is as good as The Avengers movie but that may be a desperate carry over from hoping that Iron Man 3 would be awesome when in fact it turned out to be meh!

Gonna go see it again on Saturday with some work mates, the second screening is usually the point weather my opinion on it being good will hold up.

5. Mr_Alexander

Mr_Alexander Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GYGABYTE 3080ti
    Guys.
    I just got 3D TV and 3D player. I do not have any movies yet. Can you recommend me the one with the best 3D pop-out effects. Something that would really make me jump in the seat.:infinity:

6. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Elysium 7/10

It was good, but really had gaping holes of logic in it that took me out of it waaaay too often.

The guys on the ground trying to get to Elysium have got an unlimited supply of space ships...and where did they get them from? And why do they keep flying them to Elysium? Even the lead character says this...

And why-in-the-hell spend a crazy amount of time and effort and money and resources with no oversight from anyone to build such a construction in orbit? The logical thing to do is not flee the planet but fix the planet, which apparently they are able to do with magical medical bays in existence, capable of re-atomizing molecules - erm, re-atomise the atmosphere perhaps? ever think of that? there is disease on earth? heal everyone idiots and bingo - no more disease. If you can cure final-stage leukemia in 5 seconds, you can eradicate disease.

AND since they are reliant on the resources of the planet to provide them stuff, surely letting people die would kinda screw their plans up?

And those missiles fired by Kruger...they can travel at light speed? They go from the ground to their targets in 15 seconds...that's crazy speed - more importantly, why not fire a few of those bad boys directly from Elysium???

On top of all of this: the have got SPACESHIPS, they can explore SPACE and collect any number of resources of the woefully abundant asteroid belt.

I did enjoy it, don't get me wrong, but sometimes you just can't forget about these things...

24 hours later ninja edit:

AND another thing!

The head who owns the robot factory could've made quillions of $ by making robots (big and small) that could clean up the planet OR could've saved qullions of $ by not hiring any human beings at all and using robots to make robots! Idiot.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  7. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    ^ saw Elysium last night. Nice movie, enjoyed it.

8. pedropaulo

pedropaulo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD5850
    Saw Riddick.
    I´m a fan of the character, more then the movies.
    It´s a great anti-hero and a lovely badass, but this movie felt like a remake of Pitch Black, and i´m more a fan of Chronicles.
    The movie is ok,could be better but at least it made a profit so a sequel is probability on the way.

9. pedja doktor

pedja doktor Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7640g+7670m 2gb
    Anyone saw the pakistan Waar movie???it has 9 rating on IMDB but couldn't find it anywhere on web to watch,wonder why it's rated so highly...

10. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Zombie Ass Toilet Of The Dead 10/10 so bad so good "my fart is like a jet engine"

11. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Gravity was rather epic 3D movie so I would suggest that once you can get it.

12. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Perks of being a wall flower 9/10

Amelie 9/10 (english subbed) well worth it though.

Im a softy for proper good story that doesnt envolve sfx and extreme violence.

On Gravity, make sure you have an epipen on stand by if you prefer to stay awake till tie credits.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  13. MrH

MrH Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    Riddick: Unrated Director's Cut: 8/10 - It cost £23 to import from America but it was worth it. A bit of a slow starter but once it gets going it's all out until the end. The CGI wasn't amazing, but it was good enough, you could tell they needed a bigger budget to pull off their vision perfectly.

The scene with the machete and the bucket was awesome :D

14. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    tron legacy.

15. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    I'm a big Riddick fan and naturally liked this one as well, all things considered. It's good to know that Vin Diesel basically owns all the Riddick IP now, if he could somehow attract more investors for future movies or even games (**** yea!) I would be a happy Riddick fanboy. :)

16. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    I had no trouble keeping myself awake. I just enjoyed the scenery :D

17. MrH

MrH Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    Yeah, Riddick was done on less than 40m, but it has made over 90m worldwide the last time I checked. So it made good money, I'd expect another film for sure, in the Bluray extras Vin even said "how many more movies until we reach Furya".

18. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
  19. wadj

wadj Guest

GPU:
    switchable ATI 4550 + Int
    watched captain Philips, was good

20. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU: