1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mouse sensitivity

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Balfa, May 14, 2010.

1. Balfa

Balfa New Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5770 1GB
    Hi all.

My GeForce 8800GT died, so I've just replaced it with a Radeon HD 5770. I ran DriverSweeper to get rid of the nVidia display drivers (having fallen back to a 7600GT until the new card arrived) before I removed the old card and inserted the new one.

I ignored the CD that came with the 5770 (a powercolor), and downloaded and installed Catalyst 10.4 from ati's website.

Now in games (mainly just tried COD4 and BF2 so far), my mouse sensitivity is much higher, maybe 50% higher. I can easily remedy this in-game with the control settings, but in the 2d menus of the games, it's pretty frustrating to use.

Even worse, it seems my horizontal mouse resolution is relatively much higher than my vertical mouse resolution. Very few games seem to support individual sensitivty controls for mouse axes, so this is a big problem.

I'm not sure why the video card would affect my mouse sensitivity (although I know desktop resolution amplifies or attenuates in-game mouse sensitivity), but nothing else I know of has changed.

This is my first ever ATI card. Is this just a case of ATI and nVidia having different standards for horizontal vs vertical, or is there something I can fix in the Catalyst drivers?

Any help would be much appreciated!

edit: using Windows XP SP3

2. Enmity

Enmity Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti FE SLI
    Strange, i haven't heard of this happening before. Maybe reinstall your mouse drivers?

3. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Are you still using the same resolution?

4. Balfa

Balfa New Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5770 1GB
    Thanks for replying, guys.

I'm using a logitech G5 mouse, but I never installed any drivers for it, so it's just the standard mouse driver that comes with XP.

Before the 8800GT died, my desktop was running at either 1280x1024 or 1600x1200. Now after installing the 5770, I've tried both those desktop resolutions, and get the same problem with both.
    In both COD4 and BF2 I used 1280x1024 both before and after the video card switch.

Any other ideas?

5. Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL Banned

GPU:
    gtx 480 850/1700/2000 h2o
    More fps in few games higher sensitivity.
    few games got fixes for that most games dont.

well actualy every game has fixes for it simply limit fps to 100 for example so you get a more steady sensetivity.

6. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    What about your refresh rate, is it still the same?

7. Balfa

Balfa New Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5770 1GB
    I just bumped it up to max for 1600x1200, which is 75Hz (this is an old CRT, btw).
    In COD4's settings, for 1280x1024, the refresh rate is 85Hz (again, max).

8. faust1200

faust1200 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC
    Did you try control panel/mouse pointer speed? Also if you download logitech's setpoint software you can adjust it there too and make a profile for each game.

9. Indeo

Indeo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970@950\1200 + GT240
    If this happens in games only, then yeah, it's probably just an fps boost. If you used to play with low fps, difference is most noticeable.

10. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Mouse sensitivity isn't affected by frame rate.

It's Refresh rate, DPI and Resolution that can.

Last edited: May 16, 2010

11. Indeo

Indeo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Well of course it has nothing to do with an actual dpi res since it's a placebo that makes you feel that way. Just try to run some game below 30 fps, get used to mouse speed at menus, then run it with fps cap removed - you'll certainly feel that cursor moves smoother and faster.

12. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Lol - I guess you overlooked the fact that your desktop doesn't have a frame rate.

Why would you try and argue a point on something you know nothing about? Just asking...

In Windows 7, DPI has everything to do with the mouse speed. That's how the OS scales the default mouse speed for different monitors.

Like I said, mouse speed/sensitivity is affected by Refresh rate, DPI, and Resolution - not FPS.

13. Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL Banned

GPU:
    Pill monster go try play unreal tournament 3 for example without fps cap.

getting high fps sensetivity fluctates bit up while fps gets more low sensetivity.
    this is why ut3 has fps cap off 62 for example.

few other games have the same issue.
    best example would be just cause 2 wich just lags a lot at some point then is perfectly smooth at other times.

14. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    OK so it lags..that doesn't mean it has anything to do with sensitivity. Do you have vsync enabled?

Did you know that mouse acceleration is not disabled in game on Win7? This can cause inconsistent movement...

Think about it - if FPS really affected mice like that, then everybody would have inconsistent mouse speed.

My framerate ranges between 40-115 in PR, makes no difference to sensitivity though.

I will post a link to some info on mouse configuration in Win7...you can read for yourself...

brb.

15. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500

16. Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL Banned

GPU:
    yeah cous games all got their own implentation off mouse acceleration but keeping it well hidden how to disable it.
    if yet to figure out how to completly disable mouse acceleration in ut3 again.
    and make it similar to ut2004.

17. Indeo

Indeo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    It appears that your wiseness has missed a few words in my original post, they were something like "if it happens in games only", which pretty much means "but not at your desktop". Also Aero interface does have a framerate which can be observed e.g. with latest fraps versions, however, it has nothing to do with this case. No one here said that low fps actually does affect dpi value, it affects the way player sees his mouse moving and also in worst cases slows down response time. Not to mention that on CF configs this effect is more noticeable than on single gpus because of frames skipping. If you never experienced anything like this on your config that doesn't mean such thing doesn't exist. And of course that doesn't give you a right to call someone ignorant.

18. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I never called anyone ignorant. You started debating this with me from my first post in here.

I'll say it again: Why would you try and argue a point on something you know nothing about?

You don't know the a mouse works in Win7

What? That doesn't even make sense. Do you even know what DPI is?

Well no kidding, because the game lags under 30fps..

Really, that's odd because I have the latest fraps installed plus Aero running and I don't see a FPS counter on my desktop. And you're right it has nothing to do this so why bring it up..?

Just stay out of this thread please if you want to keep arguing.

In fact, just stay out of it altogether.

19. Indeo

Indeo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fraps -> general -> Monitor Aero desktop