MOUSE Guide

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Corrupt^, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 3(2GB)
    Bagged a Razer Viper. Needed more finer control than I have at the moment.

2. Spets

Spets Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090

Corrupt^ likes this.
  3. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Saw that, a bit what I expected. It's an improvement but it's not something that should decide what you buy tbh. The right shape will still impact your gameplay a lot more. Diminishing returns are kicking in going beyond 1000Hz.

4. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    I will re-post here what I have unearthed in this troubleshooting thread
    https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/how-to-know-if-a-motherboard-has-a-usb-ehci-controller.438251/

I was using UsbView - https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/freshly-built-version-of-usbview-utility.421820/

There are a bunch of USB 2 ports at my home rig:
    [​IMG]

and USB 3 ports:
    [​IMG]

And I noticed something else in those ^ screenshots - the "Companion Port Number" field:
    - on first screenshot Port 1 (USB 2 one) specifies "Companion Port Number = 17";
    - on second screenshot Port 17 (USB 3 one) specifies "Companion Port Number = 1";
    I went to search for that "Companion Port Number" thing and look :
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...tl/ns-usbioctl-_usb_port_connector_properties
    So ports can share physical USB connector. I went to see other USB ports on my rig and found that ports 1 through 8 (USB 2 ones) have ports 17 through 24 (USB 3 ones) as a companion ones - so they share USB connectors (1 with 17, 2 with 18, etc).

And some of ports has no companion ones - 9 through 16:
    [​IMG]

and 25 and 26:
    [​IMG]

So it can be that ports without companion ones are better for mouse and keyboard.

PPS
    And article "why you should avoid companion controllers"
    https://techcommunity.microsoft.com...ns-to-avoid-companion-controllers/ba-p/270710

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
    Corrupt^ likes this.

5. big ROBOT bill

big ROBOT bill Master Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 3060Ti
    I've been playing the dpi/sensitivity game and was wondering if there is some golden ratio from mouse to game. Like 500dpi/15 game sens (I am playing Cold War at the moment)

6. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    No.

There's no golden ratio and the settings you choose are usually preference. But there are some caveats to keep in mind:
    • Mice don't perform the same across their entire DPI range, there usually is a certain "golden range", but this varies from mouse to mouse or brand to brand
    • Some games are a bit dodgy with either low or high dpi (although this was a bigger issue years ago, with all the console ports)
    • When you notice visual loss of precision (unable to make very small motions without "jumping" or "skipping" pixels), increasing dpi can be helpful
    • Some older sensors really did have an "ideal" dpi which was native (not so much applicable, less of an issue on newer sensors)
    A lot of modern mice using 3360 or 3389 variant sensors will have some added smoothing (or increased smoothing) through the MCU at higher DPI's. But it varies from brand to brand, sometimes it's when going over 1600, 1800 or 2000 dpi.

NOTE: you don't "really" skip pixels with mice as you're moving a 3 dimensional camera represented on a 2D plane (your monitor), but visually it kind of feels like it, it looks very similar, aka 1 update moves the camera for a much greater distance than a single pixel on the monitor.

big ROBOT bill likes this.
  7. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    Is it generally better though to increase DPI than sensitivity if you want faster mouse movement?

Also I guess the Windows setting 6 / 11 still stands as recommended or even necessary for 1 : 1 tracking?

EDIT: follow up idea: would it make sense to set ingame sensitivity always to 50 % and tweak DPI instead?

Though I guess you can never know what the ingame settings actually mean, is 50 % unaltered or 100 % or 0 %.
    I guess these should always be sensitivity scaling though, meaning if 50 % is 1 : 1 then 100 % is 1 : 2 (=same amount of mouse movement means twice the movement on screen).

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
    big ROBOT bill likes this.
  8. big ROBOT bill

big ROBOT bill Master Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 3060Ti
    Yes I gather so to both

What Is DPI & eDPI? [With eDPI Calculator] - Best Settings

9. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    The concept of 1-to-1 isn't something that applies to ingame sens, it's merely sensitivity * (yaw or pitch value) * mouse input. There's technically some effect, but then we're really nitpicking into unecessary details.

Quoting someone more knowledgeable then me with a far more in depth engineering background (I'm not going to discuss the person's name as it was a private conversation):

Ideally games should do sensitivity * (yaw or pitch value) = new yaw or pitch value and then do (new yaw or pitch value) * mouse input.

P.S. Yaw/Pitch is basically X/Y axis values for up/down and left/right.

AsiJu likes this.
  10. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    Thank you :)

I'll keep using relatively low DPI then.

I tried setting DPI a bit higher - 750 -> 1000 - and in turn lowering sensitivity a bit in Doom Eternal but it just screwed with my precision even if the overall feel was about the same.

I'm so trained to 750 and ingame sens at 5.5 that I'll revert.

Note to self: changing DPI during an Ultra Nightmare attempt is a bad idea...

Btw Eternal has sensitivity setting from 0.1 to 30 + horizontal and vertical scaling as percentages.
    Scalings could be the pitch/yaw default values and sensitivity could be the multiplier I guess.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021