Motorola Nexus 6

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by pimpernell, Oct 27, 2014.

1. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4080
    What do you guys think of it? The specs and so on.

I'm about to finally swap out my s3 because 1gb system memory is not enough anymore.

I have pre ordred the nexus 6, but i'm not sure if i should cancel or not.

It just looks so darn big.

My main uses are spotify in the car and dock with blue tooth, gps in car with tom tom and normal phone use.
    Gps and spotify the screen will be nice, but for normal phone use? i don't know.
    When i see people calling with their notes, i sometimes wonder if they are using pad's.
    And out drinking this thing will be huge to stick in your pocket.

It is about the same size as the new iphone, but i don't know any apple woreshippers.

Or maybe the Z3 is a better choice? Or wait for s6?

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Depends on what you want. Yes, it's big, it would be too much of a brick for me. (Anybody realize the irony, cell phones used to get smaller and smaller on purpose, then getting bigger and bigger again?)
    For your described use, I'm not sure you actually need a power hungry 1440p screen. Don't forget, the bigger your resolution the more battery it sips away. And with Spotify and navigation I see you charging your cell more than once a day tbh.

A friend of mine recently bought himself a cheap 20€ phone just for binge drinking, in case you don't want to take your new jewel with you, whatever you buy.
    I've just bought myself the Nexus5, with it's 1080p screen it's way big and clear enough for my use, has a battery that kept it working over 50 hours of running in standby AND setting it up after I got it, and costs about half of what the Nexus6 will cost. And get's Android L too per update. Just sayin ;)

3. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Here's my 2 cents on it. I was previously against phablets, but I might warm up to them enough to try the N6. I am a man, and I have giant man hands, so I could pull it off.

Here's my personal break down of the N6
    Pros
    -Nice big screen (maybe too big? Who knows)
    -Ginormous battery
    -Nice processor
    -Excessive resolution
    -Support (it's a nexus!)

Cons
    -Amoled screen. I'm not a fan
    -It's big (maybe?)
    -I personally think the screen resolution is ridiculous, it'll probably kill battery more than anything
    -Price unless bought on contract

I'm not too knowledgeable on Sony devices as we don't get our hands on them here in the US

As for the S6, I feel like the last 2 Galaxy SX's have been letdowns.

4. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4080
    Hmm maybe you are right.
    It will not arrive here in Norway until november 12, so i still have some time.
    Most of my friends have z2/z3/s4/s5.

The sony looks nice, but i really liked my old s3. (except for the samsung crapware, that's why i was aiming for a nexus..)

Will give it a few days until i decide.

Hands are big enough, so that is not a problem.

But i prefer to use my pad (10") for gaming and movies when traveling, so i don't need a big screen on the phone.

On the other hand tom tom is great on the pad but to big to have in the car.
    Decisions, decisions :) Going to sleep on it.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014

5. suture

suture Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1070 GTX
    IMO has a nexus 5 user this nexus this device not even remotely worth it.
    I love nexus devices
    nexus 7 2012 / nexus 7 2013 and even this last nexus 9 with tegra k1, its a freaking beast (i dislike the 4:3 screen ratio tough...)

but this nexus 6 its a big nobuy

PROS
    1- bigger than normal battery
    2- support (nexus!)

Cons
    1. Ridiculous resolution, it will drain the battery like crazy, specially playing games.

2. 6'' screen too big(?) everything around 5'' its perfect for a smartphone imho.

3. The processor, its not even 64bit, for that price it should be at least that, minor upgrade from the 300 bucks nexus 5

4. The price, it doesnt even come close to justify the ridiculous price.

This insane smartphone resolutions make a huge impact on the battery, i can see it in my 1080p nexus5 with a 2300mah battery, if i play a bit of angry birds epic the gpu stress its so big it gets warm, and battery drains like hell.
    1080p its already too much for a smartphone.

I will probably get a new smartphone in 2-3years, and i wont see me getting a high end smartphone again, this nexus 5 its the second i have. i would probably get a Moto G (2016) or something.

This year ill recommend a moto G (2ng generation 2014) or a nexus 5
    The moto G (2014) has a great price and tbh more than those specs its pointless.

The Moto X (2nd G. 2014) and LG G3 are also cool (similar to the nexus 6) but the price doesnt worth it.
    both have great support tough specially the moto X/G its almost nexus like
    even moto G (2013) has the latest android version an it will be upgraded to android L soon.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  6. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    My opinion:

Bold move to make a phablet this time, 6 inch screen is definitely "crossing the line". I own a LG G3 and it's just the right size, maybe a little bit big. The resolution, albeit ultra crisp, is not a good thing. My G3 has amazing standby but once I start doing anything from browsing the net to playing games, the battery plummets like a rock. Specs are slightly better than the G3 which is a good thing but is it enough? The price is quite high, about the same level as S5/G3/Z3 when they launched and Nexus is all about amazing price if I'm not mistaken.

It would be nice to see/feel it when it's in store but I don't think this is going to be the big hit they're hoping for.

7. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Just what I thought about such high resolution displays... they drain battery fast.
    I agree with you on that they won't land the big hit like they did with the last phones. For that price, size and specs, it competes with BOTH the phablets and 5" smartphones, but can't offer the goodies they bring along, like custom UIs and stuff.

8. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    I'm sorry... but if you think that the Nexus 6 is a "Minor upgrade from the $300 Nexus 5".... i really think you have no idea what the hell you're talking about. The Nexus 5 was a DRASTICALLY corner-cut LG G2. The Nexus 6 is essentially a Note 4 without the S-Pen, fingerprint reader, and expandable storage. Spec for spec, it's identical to the Note 4, except for a negligibly larger screen size.

The screen size is personal taste. Me, i'd love to have one (wasn't able to pre-order due to their ridiculously quick sell-out time), since it would fill the gap of both my cell phone, and also serve as somewhat of a tablet as well. Pretty much why the term "Phablet" was born.

As for the battery drain... uuh... i'm pretty sure we'd have to USE it to determine that. Yes, the Nexus 5's battery drains like hell when you're playing games and such. I know... it's what i've been using since they were released. The Snapdragon 805 in the Nexus 6 is supposed to use 20% less power than the 800 in the Nexus 5, while providing SIGNIFICANTLY better performance.

And if you're putting lack of being 64-bit as a con, you apparently don't really look into things. Just because an OS has support for 64-bit, and the processor is 64-bit, doesn't mean it's going to be leaps and bounds better than 32-bit hardware. Probably won't start seeing any real benefit to 64-bit for another 2 years if i had to guess. Especially if what seems like your main benchmark is Angry Birds. 64-bit benefits come into play for much larger applications and such.

9. suture

suture Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1070 GTX
    It is 64 bit? you sure? i read everywere the snapdragon 805 isnt, i could be wrong tough.

Well i wont say battery will pummel like a rock when you turn on the screen and do some general use, it depends on the screen performance tough.. and amoled it will probably do the trick to hold some extra time.
    the LG G3 with IPS LCD tech isnt the same tough, battery drains fast with general use.

And regarding the battery while gaming? well not even adreno 420 with good energy efficiency will help im afraid, we are talking about rendering 3D and such in qHD (1440 x 2560 pixels ) its not trivial for a GPU not even in PCs. well maybe except for the 400 bucks GPUs ^^
    It will cripple the performance and stress the GPU for sure, thats a reality.

IMHO it is a small update, just look at the bechmarks.
    snapdragon 800
    3dmark icestorm unlimited - 16k (+-) (nexus 5)

snapdragon 805
    3dmark icestorm unlimited - 19k (+-) (overall result for the snapdragon 805 not the nexus 6 itself.. it may vary a little bit)

for the CPU results are similar.

Altought the performance is slight better, nexus 6 will lose that margin of performance due the excessive resolution, and thats a fact.

But if we compare the nexus 7 to the nexus 9.

nexus 7 (2013) - 3dmark icestorm unlimited - 10k (+-)

nexus 9 - 3dmark icestorm unlimited - 30k+??
    But well the chip ITS THE 64 bit version of the regular tegra k1.
    And the Regular Tegra k1 benchmarks, in shield for example, are 30k(+-) in 3dmark icestorm unlimited, so im sure the nexus 9 results will be a bit better, and beeing 64bit it will for sure have an great performance CPU wise.

Now thats what i call an upgrade, sure benchmarks arent everything, but they do give you a good picture.

Extras can make a diference, thats why i choose the shield tablet and not the nexus 9, but i really wanted the tegra k1 denver 64 bit :|
    But that screen 4:3, lack of MicroSD, an expensive 32gb model, and lack of more extras of the shield (stylus etc) made me say no.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  10. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Never said the 805 was 64-bit... just saying that just because you might have a device that's 64-bit and an OS that's 64-bit, doesn't necessarily mean that it'll perform any better RIGHT AWAY than a device that's 32-bit.

Well... i'm sure if you're playing a graphically intensive game on the phone, it'll probably take a decent hit due to the resolution. Casual games... probably not so much. I don't really do pretty games on my phone... so that doesn't bother me.

And why WOULDN'T it be surprising for the Nexus 9 to beat the Nexus 7 in benchmarks? The Nexus 9 is built on hardware that was basically DESIGNED for gaming.

Just wish i had the opportunity to order the Nexus 6. Might end up having to wait til AT&T opens up their pre-orders so i can get one... unless Google gets more in stock sometime soon.

11. suture

suture Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1070 GTX
    You should check and compare "Xperia Z3" and "Xperia Z3 compact" its basically the same smartphone but the Z3 compact has a 2600mah battery and the normal Z3 has a 3100mah battery

Its the perfect example same chip (snapdragon 801) / same screen tech but diferent resolutions z3-1080p and the z3c-720p

Despite the Z3 compact having 20% LESS battery capacity than the Z3, tests show it lasts 20% MORE in general use, web browsing and video playblack etc and qHD ofc will be WAY worse.

http://www.gsmarena.com/battery-test.php3?idPhone=6539

Just saying man.. the picture quality, without a doubt, will look awesome but do you really want that drawback? Maybe AMOLED will compensate the extra resolution in general use, who knows, i would wait and see the reviews but you would just have to suffer a few days more ofc :grin2:

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  12. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Well... so far it already seems like i'm gonna be suffering til at LEAST mid-ish November... so that doesn't bother me much. haha.

And i have to kinda say that your Xperia comparison kinda favors the Z3 Compact even more, since not only is it a lower resolution display, but also .8" smaller display.

13. Nice phone i like the specifications of this smart phone.

14. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Just ordered my 32GB Midnight Blue Nexus 6 earlier today. SOOOO can't wait to get it!

15. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    Congrats dude! make sure to post to pics and opinions when it arrives I can't even pre order here in the uk yet :(

16. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Yea. I will say the whole ordering system this time 'round is kinda borked... but i guess it takes quite a bit to not only try to stock it themselves, as well as apparently Motorola selling it through their store, and also shipping stock out to 5 different carriers essentially all at once.

But i'll definitely post pics and such whenever it shows up. HOPING next week... but we'll see. Order page says it won't leave the warehouse until the 21st... which doesn't seem like it'd be the case since T-Mobile is supposedly going to have it for sale on the 12th, and that's also the day the embargo by Google not allowing full reviews to be publicized is dropped.

17. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Well looks like I won't be getting this. Anandtech's review pretty much kills the device for me.

18. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4080
    I have now canceled my pre order.

Apparently nobody now knows when we are getting it, and the reviews kinda putted me off.

So i'm open for suggestions.

- Must be android phone (i just got to many programs/games bought)
    - I want at least 3gb system memory
    - Lollipop, prefer if it shipped with it, if not very soon.

As far as i can tell my options right now are either the Sony Z3 or the LG G3.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  19. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Uuhm.... fairly certain the phones, if you ordered them from Google Play and at least those that show the whole "Leaves warehouse by 11/21" date will probably be going out on Monday. Can't see them putting off shipping out the devices any later.

And what exactly about the reviews are putting the two of you off?

20. suture

suture Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1070 GTX
    I think you did the right choice man, but im unable to recommend you a better choice than those, if you are willing to aim for a high end device i mean, and tbh i also dont really like them, high end smartphones this year are kinda "meh".
    Altough i always liked the xperia z's i almost bought one (z2 i think) but i ended up choosing nexus 5, and im glad i did, i would have a hard time justifying the xperia price but has some cool extras, specially if you have a ps4.

bottom line if you REALLY want a high end smartphone i would recommend to wait for the 64 bit ones, at least are somewhat future proof, the brands really throw in the market tons of smartphones, some not really worth considering and at absurd prices (hint galaxy alpha), others are just small upgrades in premium packages.
    And to be honest a moto g 2014 or even 2013 can do pretty much the same for 1/3 of the price of the alpha.

So if you really want the premium stuff, at least wait for a jump in the tech, or go for the extras.