1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboard ram for i7 920

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Archuth, Apr 5, 2009.

1. worthy

worthy Master Guru

GPU:
    2 ATI hd 4870 512s
    Even some of the cheapo crucial naked sets of ddr3 triples will hit 2000.
    And for the price, you can buy a few sets of them and find the best sticks to keep out of them yourself.

I have the 6 gig ballistix tracers. I remember us talking about the ddr2 versions and how they all die a couple years ago in a thread here. These are a different story. Great overclockers and dead solid. Especially on a good board like a rampage 2 or an evga classified.

But truth be told, going to 2000mhz is far from necessary. 1600 is just fine. And most of the pc3 1600 will hit 2000 anyway, even if not binned for it. Even the cheap stuff. ddr3 triple is some good stuff.

2. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    HIS HD4870/Samsung2343BWX
    I read that if you're using 3 modules, you must populate the 2nd slot (orange?) and not the first ones, which seems to be the way it's was always done. :confused:
    If you read the link, you'll see which ones will allow 1600 in all six slots. I should possibly have done a bit more research...but it's getting so darn cheap anyway!:banana:
    This i7 works so efficiently, I don't think I'll even OC the CPU. I really can't tell the difference (overall) between this performance and the Q9450@3.4!
    It's running ~33 ATM and the fan is only running at 869rpm - and I like those temps. :bigsmile:
    This is an excellent machine for now; although I'm sure that it won't be too long before I get 12gigs of 1600 - ones that come with their own fan. ;)
    BTW: Anyone? WTF does Asus include RAM that's rated for 1.9, when the max is supposed to be 1.65? That's in the linky I provided.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  3. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 480 SC
    Ah well that figures, It's been so long not using all the dimms I forgot that. :p

I got lucky, looks like my ram can do all 6 dimms. Phew... not that I'll be doing 12GB right away, maybe in the coming months.

4. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    I for one, do a lot more than just gaming on my computer. Like the other poster said: "Try running Photoshop using a large file with only 3gigs"!
    I believe the majority of people use their computers for lot more than just gaming and extra RAM always comes in handy...we're still having this conversation? You've got 6 slots? Fill the suckers up!:banana:

5. Foes

Foes Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-Sli 260's
    ok then..you still have 2 open PCIE slots on your Mobo..you have 3 slots, fill the suckers up!:banana:

6. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    Na; the airflow would be terrible with three monster cards installed. ;)

7. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 480 SC
    Yeah, time for WC at that point.